Would this be an available factory paint option?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
There have been some wagons listed lately and got me looking again. I came across this wagon sold a few years ago. I haven't seen a 2 tone paint scheme on a wagon. I think it really works on this '66. Thoughts?

1966 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon | Lot T124 | Anaheim 2013 | Mecum Auctions

Screenshot 2016-11-24 22.08.15.png

I'm OK with non-original 2-tone but combo has to be right. The above is attractive but I am not crazy over it.

Last edited:
Looks like only the roofs where a separate color from the body in a 2 tone. Its funny with that knowledge and maybe sleeping on it, the color scheme is not nearly as appealing now.

I think it might look better if it was more subtle, like the desert beige instead of the white with the saddle bronze accent.

I remember now when I was picking out paint, the guy had a Y paint for my '66 and not a YY-1 which I thought was the color code. Now it all makes sense, that was the designation to say it was all one color.

1966 Chrysler color chips.jpg

Last edited:
Correct. The 2 tone refers to the roof and body. That T&C shown was probably a wood grain car that just got repainted instead of new dy-noc installed.

Finally found a correct example that is pretty sweet. Scorch red with a white top. I bet it has a red interior too, it wounldn't get much better for me in a slab wagon.

wagon white roof.jpg
wagon scorched red white.jpg

Good to know.

So this is a vinyl, not painted, top with a red stripe on the vinyl or am I missing something?
How is that coded on the tag?
Can't help you with the tag. You might have to PM member Ross Wooldridge. It is his car. The vinyl is only the white part, the red is standard painted steel roof.

EDIT - @69CoronetRT - Thinking about it again (it's been 10 years since I saw the car), maybe the white was paint. This car was at Carlisle, so maybe someone has a better shot.

Last edited:
Looking at the Carlisle picture, it sure appears to be paint. My bad on the vinyl. I am sure that I have seen pictures of these with vinyl inserts, though. Poosibly on an airporter stretch.

dsc03562-jpg.85373

Last edited:
Boy my memory is bad, I saw that wagon and it was one of my favorites, and I took several pictures of it. It didn't hit me until now that it had a white roof and a stripe.

28371819625_6199ba7130_k.jpg

Last edited:
I remember seeing full width vinyl tops on fuselage wagons too.
The 2 tone paint scheme usually broke right at the beltline.
I've got a couple of lousy photos in my "When they were new" garage.
These both happen to be tan over biege 2 tone wagons.

Back