Wtb: 440/727

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDR529

Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking for a 440/727 combo. Doesn't have to be running, as long as it's in decent shape to your knowledge. Planning on rebuilding anyway. Want to spend around 500 dollars. I'm located in Ridgecrest, CA And don't want to drive more than a couple hundred miles to pick it up. Anyone local with an extra pair lying around?

I think you'll score a 440 by scouring Craigslist for a week or two.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Actually I just did, picking it up tomorrow. 440 out of a 1980 motorhome with a 727. Hopefully after a rebuild she'll be purring in my Monaco...

What kind of tail shaft is on the tranny?
Don't forget that 440 has the 452 heads which use the GM "peanut" spark plug.
BTW, congrats.

I'm not sure about the tail shaft, no pictures. All I know is it came out of a 1980 RV. Anything I should look for specifically before I pick this up? I don't know anything about heads, but during the rebuild I'm sure I'll swap them out or have some mild porting done...

Car & truck tailshaft:

112208.jpg

RV tail shaft which is shorter.

09012008a.jpg

All I know is it came out of a 1980 RV. Anything I should look for specifically before I pick this up?
Make sure it turns, even if by hand.
Check the oil for milky-like substance. Maybe only a head gasket or it could be a cracked block.
Don't bother taking the short tail shaft 727. You'll still need another 727 for the correct tail shaft so why bother... Grab the torque converter though.
The exhaust manifolds are useless so if they're not on it, don't worry about it.
If it's a total rebuild, nothing else you can check externally anyway so you'll really know how you rolled the dice during the tear down.

The 452's are the best factory heads made. KEEP THEM! Aftermarket aluminum heads are crap 50% of the time. Follow the head threads on Moparts and you'll read horror story after horror story. I will never use them.
Send the heads to CompuFlow for a CAD-CAM porting and they'll flow as good as Indie heads and are much stronger. Don't buy into this aluminum crap.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Kinda disappointed about the tranny though! Might have to talk him down and see if he'll keep the transmission...

Thanks for the advice! Kinda disappointed about the tranny though! Might have to talk him down and see if he'll keep the transmission...

Not to worry. It's more likely be the correct tranny.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Well it wasn't the correct tranny. SO I talked him down to 400 dollars for the 440 with the RV transmission. Then I found another guy who sold me a car/truck 727 for 200, so I'm all set to start the build! Thanks for the all the info, now to decide how to build it and what all to do, but those questions will come later in a new thread when the time comes...

''452'' cylinder heads don't use the 5/8 taper fit ''GM'' style spark plug. They use the 13/16 ''crush gasket '' type.

''452'' cylinder heads don't use the 5/8 taper fit ''GM'' style spark plug. They use the 13/16 ''crush gasket '' type.
I didn't say they used the 5/8 taper fit fit GM style spark plug. I said they DIDN'T use the RJ plugs used on all the other BB's.

I said:
The 13/16 "crush gasket" style (R42TS) was only used (other than the Mopar MH heads) by GM on their 2.0L L4's (AKA a "peanut" plug).

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

... I talked him down to 400 dollars for the 440 with the RV transmission. Then I found another guy who sold me a car/truck 727 for 200, so I'm all set to start the build!

600 Bucks is a fair price for a 440 & 727. Congrats!!
Let's start tearing down that suckuh! I want to spend your money.

Last edited:
The ''452'' does use the ''RJ'' example. (RJ12YC) spark plug.

The ''452'' does use the ''RJ'' example. (RJ12YC) spark plug.

Fine. You use the %$#&-ing RJ plug in the 452 heads and I'll use the correct
RV12YC plugs that will seat properly...

Are you going by book learning or hands-on experience?

I'll post pictures as I go. First order of business today is getting the RV tranny off the 440, and getting it out of my friends truck. Then he has an engine stand, but said it was leaning a bit with his 318, so he's going to weld some extra supports onto it and then we'll get it mounted up. After it gets torn down, what does everyone recommend I have done to the block Again, I don't want to bore it, but I don't really know what to ask a machine shop to do...

Are you totally disassembling the engine and bringing him the block, crank and heads in pieces, or just dropping the whole thing off to him. That's key...
How far are you willing to go to tear down the engine?
How much assembly are you willing to do?
Without that, it's hard to advise you what to tell the machine shop.

PS: A fully assembled 440 engine will tip over 4 wheel engine stand no matter what the rating.
A 440 HAS to use a 6 wheel HD stand at the minimum.

Absolutely NOT!!!!
images

Still, NO WAY!!!
images

At the very minimum!!!!

images

Be smart!!
111708%20003.jpg

Notice even with a HD stand, a fully assembled 440 still
needed 2X4's on the nose.
111708%20007.jpg

Last edited:
<Shhhhhhhhhh..........
He has no idea yet that he's going to pay for the new summer houses of the owners of Summit and RockAuto.>

My plan was to tear it down completely and bring the machine shop only what it needed. I know how much labor charges can rack up the cost of any job. Thanks for the input on the stand! I guess I'll have to start for one that can hold the motor! Stan, I'm looking forward to having someone guide my pockets. It's funny, but even after I quit smoking I must still carry a lighter around because holes keep burning through them! Realistically though, I'm in the Navy and enlisted so I don't get a LOT of extra money every month. Maybe 1 or 200 extra a month so whatever I need to get I have no problem saving up for. All I'm looking for is a strong motor that runs good on 87 and whatever intake/carb/air cleaner set up has to fit under the stock Monaco hood... Also, how much does a fully assembled 440 weigh? And why are all of these companies advertising 4 wheeled 1,000 pound stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back