For Sale Yes, I absolutely would buy this weird Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the best power to weight of this type cars would be the Mustang SVO.

13509-1984-Ford-Mustang.jpg

220px-Mustang_SVO_1986.jpg

Those XR-7 and T-bird turbo coupes were add kickers. Love to have one of those

And I bet even Mark would agree.

I do agree.....I'd drive it anytime. The T-Birds of that year are much nicer with the roof line though.

1984 Cougar production: 131,190
of that, only 6,171 were XR-7
from 80-88 there were 162,150 XR-7's made but only 20,535 of those were turbocharged. Actually, not sure, the 20K number may be for all cougars (i don't know if the non-XR-7 cars were avail with turbo or not). Supposedly Kevin Marti has records on these but no idea how many were 1984 turbo 5 speeds. i've never seen another one. The T-Birds of these years cornered like they were on rails.

I bought an '84 TurboCoupe at a garage sale for $300 bucks back in the mid ninties. It was ragged out but ran like a scalded dog. Build up boost, snatch second and boil the hides!

That's as pretty as grenade is going to get, I still say pull the pin and throw it.
00v0v_dB9jp23muji_1200x900.jpg

So shoot me. I don't care. And I bet even Mark would agree.
Yes, it's weird but let me explain myself, first...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercury/cougar-xr7/1897870.html

View attachment 137573 View attachment 137574

Have you ever seen one?
Did you even know such acar was made?
I know I wouldn't pay too much for one... back in the day I drove some turbocoupes and supercoupes, but I wasn't impressed enough to pay for one. I did try to buy a couple of SHO Taurus 5speeds that the owners wouldn't pay to fix... but I limited myself to nice bodies and minor (still expensive labor) mechanical failures like clutches and undamaged engines needing timing belts and such.

I don't specifically recall any XR7 versions, but I liked the Tbird body better and I didn't have much desire to own an 80's boosted model with 100k or more miles (when I usually buy cars). Too many problems that could cost bigger parts $$ than I wanted to deal with.

I only ever owned a couple of free pintos and the expedition... Guess I'm not much of a Ford guy, but I like lots of the older stuff.

Does anyone remember the Mercury Merkur.....? mid to late 80's. The early ones had a German V6 and then a turbo 4 cyl.
We modified several through the Roush shop back then and a Roush prepaired Merkur won the 24 hours at Daytona in 86-87.

RAPIDO11.jpg

2615125492_0860660d25_b.jpg

This model was called the Ford Sierra in Europe. The 4 cyl. Turbo was called the Sierra Cosworth the engine had the same base as the Pinto engine.
Never cared too much about them, but come to think of it even the low line low po models are practically extinct over here.

Does anyone remember the Mercury Merkur.....? mid to late 80's. The early ones had a German V6 and then a turbo 4 cyl.
We modified several through the Roush shop back then and a Roush prepaired Merkur won the 24 hours at Daytona in 86-87.

View attachment 137810

View attachment 137811
This model was called the Ford Sierra in Europe. The 4 cyl. Turbo was called the Sierra Cosworth the engine had the same base as the Pinto engine.
Never cared too much about them, but come to think of it even the low line low po models are practically extinct over here.
I actually met a couple of young men who were enthusiasts just a couple years ago. I didn't have much dealings with them, but was impressed they had latched onto such an obscure model. They were daily driving their cars.

[QUOTE="cm23uoc, The 4 cyl. Turbo was called the Sierra Cosworth the engine had the same base as the Pinto engine.QUOTE]

The roush race turbo 4cyl Pinto engines produced an incredible 750 HP on the dyno.

I'll bet it was impressive when they exploded.

I never saw one get hurt. It's the engine that won the 24 hours at Daytona, Trans am class in 86-87 and a derivative of the engine that won the class the previous eight years. Actually, in 87, it placed 1st, 2nd and third.
I have a picture of the three cars the day they returned to the shop in Mi. somewhere.

I never saw one get hurt. It's the engine that won the 24 hours at Daytona, Trans am class in 86-87 and a derivative of the engine that won the class the previous eight years. Actually, in 87, it placed 1st, 2nd and third.
I have a picture of the three cars the day they returned to the shop in Mi. somewhere.
So then they had no actual Pinto parts on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back