Your first car

My first car was a 70 green Hornet. This is not the exact car but it looked just like this, even the wheel covers. Three on the Tree, straight 6, bought it from my brother for change. It had a zillion miles when he bought it. Originally from Puget Sound, Washington. Not sure how it made it's way to PA but I believe it had a Naval base sticker in the window.

1970AMCHornet04.jpg

no pictures due to embarrassment but it looked like this:
1979+Chrysler+LeBaron+Town+&+Country+Station+Wagon.+-+1.jpg

traded it in two months for one like this:
91386090c1c0642e28d96e3d0d7752f7.jpg

30071300001_medium.jpg

73 pontiac lemans sport coupe. still have that one.
I had a 76 LeMans SC it was one of the best cars I owned.

My first car was a 66 Ford wagon, given to me by a friend.
This was the colour but it was satin black from the trim line down.
1966-ford-country-wagon-002.jpg

pics0029 copy.jpg

My first car. 318, buckets, console & wood wheel.
This is around '75 the day i sold it. Just finished paint work after all the rust repair i had to do.
It was a work in progress the two yrs i had it. But it was all mine!

1984 Mercury Cougar... the biggest piece of junk I ever owned.
2277430001_large.jpg

Then came my first real car...
1968 New Yorker I was about 21 when Bought this car. I ran it for 5 or 6 years until I missed a stop sign and t-boned a Caravan. I had every intention of fixing it, but lacked the resources and place to do it.
upload_2017-3-11_13-7-27.jpeg

I drove this car all over in my early 20's. TX to PA and back a couple of times. PA to CO and many shorter trips in between.

Next came an 89 Ramcharger that I believe was owned by a utility company at first because it was a bare bones truck.

Next was a fully loaded 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO 5 spd. I still have this but only use it in the woods.

Now we have an 07 Chyrsler T&C, 06 Toyota Corolla, and the current 68 NYer.

My 1st car I got when I was 13 was this '68 300 from the neighbor for taking care of his cattle while he was gone for the summer. The White 4dr 300 I got when I was 15 for $300. I put the 440 in my '70 Road Runner and my Dad was really pissed until I bought a rough '68 Newport for a good 383 that put the white 300 back on the road.
68 300 (1).jpg

This '70 Road Runner I got when I was 14. I got it by saving 50 cents a day by getting just a shake instead of a full lunch during my Freshman year. It was $50 with no engine or transmission.
70 Road Runner (1a).jpg

This '69 Road Runner I got with no engine or transmission for $100 when I was 15. I still have the bill of sale; sold with no title. A nearby small town bank held the title for over 10 years and released it for no charge. The hood was thrown aside upside down and was rusted through in the front, so I put a hood from a '69 Satellite on it with Super Bee hood scoops I bought from a classmate's brother for $15.

69 Road Runner.jpg

This '69 Sport Satellite I bought when I was 16 for $250. I let one of my friends drive it after he wrecked his Pinto.
69 Sport Satellite.jpg

This '68 Fury III was a friend's car during our Senior year. His Dad bought it at an auction for $800 and later he overheated the 318 badly and it ran very poorly afterword. He offered to sell it to me, but I only had $200. He came back to me and took the deal a week or so later.
68 Fury III.jpg

This '68 300 I got right after we graduated about the time I turned 18. I got it from Spirit Lake Iowa for I believe $400. Had to change the carburetor, points and tires and I drove it home. On the way home I raced my friend in my '69 Road Runner with 323s and a 383 mag and the Road Runner pulled away fairly easily, but the 300 had shitty plugs and wires etc.
68 300 (6).jpg

All these were bought with my own money except for the lunch money for the '70 Runner. I worked as early as I was able to at a whopping $3.15 an hour for a restaurant. My senior year I got a job at a tire shop for $3.50 later raised to $4.00 an hour.... I still have the red 300, the white 300 and the '69 Runner.

Last edited:
My first car was/is a 1975 Imperial. Came across it at a car show (Iola Old Car show in Iola, WI) in the summer of 2012. I was 17 at the time. Although I was kinda unfamiliar with the Imperial, it was love at first sight. Never before had a car captured my attention like that car had. I had to beg and plead with my parents to let me buy it with my summer job money as they couldn't believe a 17 year old would want a car like that! Lol. But after reminiscing about the big boats they used to drive in they're younger years, they gave the ok. And that's what started my love affair with big old cars. Still have the car and plan to give her some much needed attention this summer.

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

My first car was/is a 1975 Imperial. Came across it at a car show (Iola Old Car show in Iola, WI) in the summer of 2012. I was 17 at the time. Although I was kinda unfamiliar with the Imperial, it was love at first sight. Never before had a car captured my attention like that car had. I had to beg and plead with my parents to let me buy it with my summer job money as they couldn't believe a 17 year old would want a car like that! Lol. But after reminiscing about the big boats they used to drive in they're younger years, they gave the ok. And that's what started my love affair with big old cars. Still have the car and plan to give her some much needed attention this summer.

View attachment 119633
View attachment 119635

Keep it up Kid.. lol. You make us old guys proud.. lol

First car I had was a birthday gift from my Dad at the age of 13. It was a 1977 Chrysler T&C project car. The plan was to take a few years to restore it in time for my 16th birthday. One summer we were jacking it up and the jack was moving and the car stayed put . Looked under the car and saw the stub frame pretzel from the rot (Yes, I grew up in the rust belt). Needless to say we never did finish it...she went to the scrap yard.

Last edited:
1963 Chevy II 4 door, 230-6cyl power glide. My grandfather promised it to me before he died I bondoed it back together and proceeded to learn alot about cars. Eventually got hit by a school bus and I sold it for I think $100.
First car I bought with my own money was a 74 Dart Sport 6-cyl 3 speed manual and yes you can blow up a /6.
I put 2 different /6 in that car and 1 clutch, a rear end and was all ready to put a 383 in it when frame broke so I fixed and sold.

I bought a 1969 Camaro RS 350 2bbl car back in 1983 when I was 15. Bought and paid for myself. Even then I would have rather had a Mopar but it seemed like I could never quite get enough money together as I really wanted a Road Runner.

Dave
RS.jpg

[QUOTE.......This '69 Sport Satellite I bought when I was 16 for $250. I let one of my friends drive it after he wrecked his Pinto.
View attachment 118687........
My next car after 68 Charger was a 69 Satellite with a 383 2bbl and a/c. That car was tight and just flew. This was mid 70s and had fun smoking black Trans Ams that all the kids were getting for h.s. graduation presents.

OMG !!! I was going thru some of my fathers pictures today and stumbled across a picture of my 1969 Sport Fury Vert that I bought back in 1976.

This picture was taken in the summer of 1982 as that is my dads brand new 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88.

Wow
The flood of memories this picture has brought back to me.
Oh and yes that dude with the fro is me at 24 years old.

Scan_20170324 (3).png

Last edited:
This is the first car I purchased in 1977 for 500 bucks when I was 14 years old. 1948 Plymouth Convertible. It didn't look this good when I bought it out of a garage near the Space Needle in Seattle, where it had sat from 1963 to 1977. It is a great car, has flathead six cylinder. It still resides in my garage 40 years later.
48.jpg

OMG !!! I was going thru some of my fathers pictures today and stumbled across a picture of my 1969 Sport Fury Vert that I bought back in 1976.

This picture was taken in the summer of 1982 as that is my dads brand new 1982 Oldsmobile Delta 88.

Wow
The flood of memories this picture has brought back to me.
Oh and yes that dude with the fro is me at 24 years old.

View attachment 119975
The car in the foreground looks like a mid-'70s model, a '75 I'd guess.

First car: January 1970, December 1974, June 2015, tonight awaiting for the rebuilt heads dropped off.
Cougar_0170.JPG
rsz_2img277.jpg
photo_2_01.jpg
combo_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back