1958 Chrysler Saratoga - 354 poly

kenbiello

Reaction score
Hello forum members.......been a while since I've posted. Been slowly working on my 1964 Chrysler 300k Letter car still.
Originally posted that in February, 2014.
Anyway, in that post, I lamented about the 1958 Saratoga that I bought, and then eventually sold. Only thing I had were a few pictures and some memories of that car.
As luck would have it, I bought the car back last year!

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1958-chrysler-saratoga

This link will get you the idea. I've been working on the car for over a year straight. Pulled the entire drive train.
Installed a period correct, hemi dual in-line intake. Found, rebuilt and restored two (2) matching number, ORIGINAL Carter WCFB carbs.....and away we go....... IMG_20150923_184108_592.jpgIMG_20150923_184116_927.jpgken-saratoga-painted-engine-5.jpg

will need some help finishing the restoration. Headliner, lenses, interior parts, etc. Anyone in the forum know anyone out there?
Thanks!

ken

IMG_20150923_184108_592.jpg

IMG_20150923_184116_927.jpg

ken-saratoga-painted-engine-5.jpg

Welcome back, Ken. Will love to follow along on your project. More, please.

Btw, I read the whole story at your link. It blew me away. Unbelievable!

Now that's a cool history. I think most of us wished we could experience what you did, Ken. And I love the look of that engine.

Great story and a fantastic hardtop! What is this model 801 doohickey?

Thanks to everyone! The 801 doohickey is a Southwind? Model 801 (or 803) gasoline hot air heater. Yep, you heard right! Not heated by engine coolant through a heater core. Factory ordered, option 347 I'm told by the data plate. Fuel pump has two taps coming off the output side. One goes to the carbs. Other goes to the heater fuel pump. This feeds gasoline into a burner up at the firewall. A fresh air fan supplies the O2, a spark box mounted to the passenger side of the front fender sends spark to a plug, which ignites the gasoline. Kinda like a gas grill, only 100 times more dangerous? Anyway, it's all there, and I hope to get it working some day. The engine stand - well, I had it on a regular steel stand when I was doing the rebuilding. That contraption is a pallet, with casters bolted to it. It was my testing platform to run the motor PRIOR to putting it in the car. WAYYY easier to troubleshoot and fix anything that needed fixing before going into the car. That was an early photo, before I added the radiator, hoses, gauges, etc.
I was able to get the timing down, and get the carbs close enough to run smooth before getting it back in the car. It also helped me with a fussy, canister type oil filter case that didn't seem to want to stay tight! lol

Almost forgot.......if you followed the Old Cars Weekly link that I posted, you'll see the engine bay as supplied by the factory. Single Carter 2850S
with that GIANT air cleaner. Only reason why I went with the dual Carters was I found a guy local to me selling the dual inline Hemi intake. Which got me started. Then found a guy in CA selling the small bore Carter WCFB's.......plan was to put two of those giant air cleaners on......giving the 392 dual Hemi look......right? WRONG!
Hemi intake is a little taller......WCFB's are a little taller......freakin air cleaners don't fit side-to-side in the engine bay, OR vertically.......hood hits the rear one. So I fabricated the little pancake cleaners you see in the pic.
I tagged and bagged the original intake, carb, linkage, etc......Staying with the single carb would have been MUCH easier......and the car gets looks just the way she is......but the period correct duals definitely has the "WOW" factor I'm used to, especially after hearing most people lose their minds over the 413 Wedge, Cross Ram that sleeps next to her!

Wow..... These cars are just not made like this anymore. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thanks again for sharing! this is a great restoration you have accomplished

Thanks again for sharing! this is a great restoration you have accomplished

Thank you! Still have a long way to go.....front end up in the air right now......doing wheel cylinders, lines, etc.....what a pain in the azz!
Need a puller to do the rears......need to re-do carpet, headliner, dash pad, door panels, seats, etc.....but it's getting there.

Back