1958 Plymouth Belvedere - 3 speed auto....is there a transmission filter???

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone is surviving this crazy weather. I'm planning on changing my 3 speed auto transmission fluid and I can find a transmission pan gasket but can't seem to find a transmission filter anywhere. I looked in my factory service manual but it only mentions cleaning some screens in the transmission. My question, is there a transmission filter on the 3 speed push button transmission? And if so, where do you find one?

Thanks so much!!

I'm sure others have more info on this, but my '63 had an inline filter in one of the lines to the cooler in the radiator. Might look there. Lindsay

It might well be that the "screens" mentioned are the "filters", to keep pieces from getting into the hydraulic circuits. As told to me ages ago, the screens should self-clean when the engine stops and the fluid above them returns to the pan, thereby "washing" them.

Modern atf is far superior to the old Type A fluid of prior times, so the "cleaning" could be needed periodically, back then. There were inline filters (which looked something like the 1960s inline fuel filters) in the earlier 1960s, with the internal dacron filters coming later.

Take care,
CBODY67

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to look to see if there are any inline filters. I guess I will just drain the pan, changes the gasket and refill with some new fluid and call it done!!

You have a cast iron torqurflight, A866? It has a pickup that bolts to the valve body and it has a screen at the bottom. There is no cloth filter to replace, just take it off and gently clean this screen. They don't make new ones.

1957 1958 1959 1960 61 CHRYSLER CAST IRON TORQUEFLITE FILTER TRANSMISSION MOPAR | eBay

E8BEF1C7-94A5-4F9D-81A2-30CA32EBEB21.jpeg

Back