1958 Plymouth Fury

Christine is a fictional character. A story about a red/white fictional 58 plymouth Fury. Visually in the movie what you see on screen resembles a 58 red and white belvedere but is not either. If you look to the interior of christine her interior uphostery is similar to 58 furys, not belvederes and her 150 speedo too. Shes a hodge podge of sorts but mainly resembling a 58 fury but in red. Most of us know that 58 plymouth furys only came in buckskin beige with anodized gold trim. Stephen King in his book wrote her as a 4 door 58 plymouth fury which also never was lol and too make things worse a 57 plymouth is pictured on the back cover of the original hard copy. So somebody didnt do their homework very well. When they set out to make the movie back in 1983 they placed ads all over the country to buy up any available 57/58 plymouths to build the Christine movie cars. So these were a variety of savoys, belvederes, furys, plazas, used in the making of the movie to build Christines. Thankfully they used the 2 door hardtop version for the film. I think the main indication that the movie tells us that shes a fury is the opening scene where all the other 58's coming down the line were beige except for "CHRISTINE" (and also all the assembly line cars in beige had incorrect silver side trims which should have been gold). I could go on and on about all the inaccuracies but that wasnt the point of the movie. The story is about Arnie and his obseeion with Christine, his girlfriend Leigh, and best friend Dennis . So unfortunetly the car was just whatever it was a cool 58 plymouth at best.

Christine is a fictional character. A story about a red/white fictional 58 plymouth Fury. Visually in the movie what you see on screen resembles a 58 red and white belvedere but is not either. If you look to the interior of christine her interior uphostery is similar to 58 furys, not belvederes and her 150 speedo too. Shes a hodge podge of sorts but mainly resembling a 58 fury but in red. Most of us know that 58 plymouth furys only came in buckskin beige with anodized gold trim. Stephen King in his book wrote her as a 4 door 58 plymouth fury which also never was lol and too make things worse a 57 plymouth is pictured on the back cover of the original hard copy. So somebody didnt do their homework very well. When they set out to make the movie back in 1983 they placed ads all over the country to buy up any available 57/58 plymouths to build the Christine movie cars. So these were a variety of savoys, belvederes, furys, plazas, used in the making of the movie to build Christines. Thankfully they used the 2 door hardtop version for the film. I think the main indication that the movie tells us that shes a fury is the opening scene where all the other 58's coming down the line were beige except for "CHRISTINE" (and also all the assembly line cars in beige had incorrect silver side trims which should have been gold). I could go on and on about all the inaccuracies but that wasnt the point of the movie. The story is about Arnie and his obseeion with Christine, his girlfriend Leigh, and best friend Dennis . So unfortunetly the car was just whatever it was a cool 58 plymouth at best.
That is very interesting information, thanks for the long post. However, when the topic comes up (which is does often on FB car forums), I'm still going to just continue to say that Christine is really a Belvedere. On the outside she looks exactly like a Belvedere and very much NOT like a Fury (wrong colour, wrong colour trim insert). Some people seem to think that Christine is some kind of documentary and not just a work of fiction; they try to argue that you could really special-order a Fury in red because they saw it in the movie.

The car is not called a Fury in the book. I have read it more than once. He also refers to the transmission as a Hydramatic. In the choking scene it shows the doors lock with a knob on the top of the door. 57/58 Plymouth 2 dr hardtops lock by moving the door handle. There was a lot of liberties taken to make the movie work.

lol sorry was meant as a peaceful rant. I own a red/white 58 plymouth and I just call her Christine.

to each there own call it whatever you want. Simply put like from what 57fury440 said: There was a lot of liberties taken to make the movie work.

:lol:

The car is not called a Fury in the book. I have read it more than once.

Then maybe you should read it again ... Because, it's right there, on page 2 of the book :

"Arnie had fallen in love with a 1958 Plymouth Fury, one of the long ones with the big fins. There was an old and sun-faded FOR SALE sign propped on the right side of the windscreen - the side that was not cracked."

So how many 1958 2-door hardtops were destroyed in making Christine?

"It is believed that 25 1958 Plymouth two-door hardtops were required to create the magic of “Christine” getting wrecked and rebuilt on the big screen. 17 of those Plymouths were completely destroyed, six were used for parts and just two are said to remain."
Original ‘Christine' '58 Plymouth Fury to cross Mecum block Friday.

Was it worth it to destroy all those cars? Not to me. I thought the book was so bad that I got half way thru, ripped it in half. and threw it away. As to the movie, I don't think I got even half way thru before turning off the TV.

JMO
To the general public ANY Chrysler product with fins is a Christine car!

Buckskin Biege is kinda a boring color.

This Arneys sign still stands abandoned is in Fortuna CA.
would make a great background photo prop for a 58.

Of all the shity sequels being done by the failing Hollywood movie industry I have to admit I'm ready for a Christine 2.
They could do a lot with CGI nowadays

image.jpeg

JMO
To the general public ANY Chrysler product with fins is a Christine car!

Buckskin Biege is kinda a boring color.

This Arneys sign still stands abandoned is in Fortuna CA.
would make a great background photo prop for a 58.

Of all the shity sequels being done by the failing Hollywood movie industry I have to admit I'm ready for a Christine 2.
They could do a lot with CGI nowadays
We can always agree to disagree.

I have to say that I like Stephen King overall. By contrast to my low opinion of Christine, both the book and the movie. I like the book, The Stand. I like both book and move, Pet Cemetery. But my favorite

The Shining: book excellent, movie spectacular!

Here's Johnny!
1645370251246.png

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.....
1645370396396.png

A not very well known work of Stephen Kings is Sometimes they come back.
A worthwhile B movie made for theaters but realeased to video.

271B6373-30DB-4CC9-ACA6-1A563EFC3BC5.jpeg

So how many 1958 2-door hardtops were destroyed in making Christine?

"It is believed that 25 1958 Plymouth two-door hardtops were required to create the magic of “Christine” getting wrecked and rebuilt on the big screen. 17 of those Plymouths were completely destroyed, six were used for parts and just two are said to remain."
Original ‘Christine' '58 Plymouth Fury to cross Mecum block Friday.

Was it worth it to destroy all those cars? Not to me. I thought the book was so bad that I got half way thru, ripped it in half. and threw it away. As to the movie, I don't think I got even half way thru before turning off the TV.
From what I’ve read over the years it’s said to have been around 23-25 cars used in the movie and some were used as parts cars, others were fully restored inside and out for the close up scenes and others only had the exteriors restored. Some were used as stunt cars and had the interiors completely gutted with roll cages in them. The windows were painted/tinted black so you could not see the stunt driver and also to make you believe the car was driving itself. Years ago back in 2005 I had the opportunity to meet and make friends with two guys who own real screen used Christine movie cars. One of them is Martin from California who owns one and the other guy is Bill from Florida. I’ve seen these cars in person and they have extensive documentation supporting their authenticity. Lucky for me they let me reference their cars when I was building mine to make sure things were correct, measurements etc. I’ve seen another movie car in circulation, the one that sold at barret Jackson awhile back is said to have been the promotional car used to promote the film back in 83. Here’s a picture of mine. Still looking good 15 years later .

F0E94ED8-0C67-48AB-A32B-8509EE67ABF4.jpeg

8BB039C5-BBDE-4E67-8A71-3184905F469B.jpeg

Back