1960 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country

Those wagons were great cars and are still highly sought after in the collector world. I used to own a very similar car but in my case it was a 1961 model T&C.

But I too preferred the 1960 model wagon (I thought the grille was much more elegant) and sold mine thinking someday I would find one - but I never did.

But I still have my 300F. It is a 29K mile all original car and that I would never sell.

Could you share a photo of your 300F too? Perhaps one of my favorite cars of all time...........................

I see you live nearby me in Ramona, CA. Small world!

Steve

I'm going to be putting wire wheels on it with blackwall tires. Already had the wheels and just had to buy two new tires to match the ones that were on the rear. I have the original wheels and a couple of the wheelcovers but there is only one choice for 14" tires which I have on my 300F. Everyone asks me if the car is a hearse.

View attachment 398244

People ask me the same question. :rolleyes:

DSC01498.JPG

In 1960 the Captive Air tires were not standard on any models. The ones available as a regular option were whitewalls. The order form did not show blackwall ones even though it shows blackwall standard tires. A friend has a 1960 New Yorker wagon that was ordered with blackwalls even though whitewalls were standard. The spare tire fits under the third seat bottom. It's even covered in the owners manual. Plenty of foot room with a spare in place. I even found an original cover for mine. I asked the owner who bought the car in 1973 and he said he had to ask the dealer for a jack and they gave him a funky bottle jack that was still in the car when I got it. No sign that a jack had ever been installed under the middle seat.

View attachment 398364

View attachment 398365
Not arguing with you Nick and don't want to please. Your own flyer in your post confirms what I'm saying? Just telling you what the Corporate logic was according to the dealerships on the Captive Air 9 passenger wagons only was back then. FWIW, I was 20 YO when the '60 was introduced in the fall of '59 and I spent many hours in the Chrysler Dealership in Whittier, Ca. lusting after the '60 NY 9 passenger Long roof that fall. It only took 25 years to find my '61 Long Roof in an back yard in Fullerton. Look close at My Avitar, lol. Want more pix of that beast? Marpar(Mario on this site has the whole set if your interested) BTW, when I put that one together I converted to 15" wheels and found that a '94 Jeep mini spare was what worked, and was the same diameter as 235X70X15s and still left great leg room in that foot wall, Jer

Not arguing with you Nick and don't want to please. Your own flyer in your post confirms what I'm saying? Just telling you what the Corporate logic was according to the dealerships on the Captive Air 9 passenger wagons only was back then. FWIW, I was 20 YO when the '60 was introduced in the fall of '59 and I spent many hours in the Chrysler Dealership in Whittier, Ca. lusting after the '60 NY 9 passenger Long roof that fall. It only took 25 years to find my '61 Long Roof in an back yard in Fullerton. Look close at My Avitar, lol. Want more pix of that beast? Marpar(Mario on this site has the whole set if your interested) BTW, when I put that one together I converted to 15" wheels and found that a '94 Jeep mini spare was what worked, and was the same diameter as 235X70X15s and still left great leg room in that foot wall, Jer

Not arguing here, only sharing what I've found doing extensive research. The owner's manual page supports what I'm saying, it is the October 1959 second edition and I don't have the first edition. It states that the Captive-Air tires are optional and also gives instructions for getting the spare tire out of the 9-passenger wagon. Below is a section from the 1960 Chrysler New Car order form. It only shows whitewall Captive-Air tires and only says wagon only, not 9-passenger wagon only. Now of course this may have been a running change but my car was built in May of 1960 so fairly late in production.

I also have a Plymouth dealer price guide that shows Captive-Air tires being available in black and white walls as well as being available in 6-passenger wagons. But all optional.

tires.png

Page_16.jpg

Page_18.jpg

But I still have my 300F. It is a 29K mile all original car and that I would never sell.

Could you share a photo of your 300F too? Perhaps one of my favorite cars of all time...........................

I see you live nearby me in Ramona, CA. Small world!

Steve

Here's my F and my web site has a lot of info on it - https://300f.com/8403150442.htm

It's mostly original and a blast to drive. Where are you at?

150442_002.jpg

BTW, here is the original floor mat for the third seat foot well, which is cut out for the spare tire. Since it goes under the seat some distance they probably didn't make a different one for Captive-Air tires.

20200829_085020.jpg

Subscribed! That is a fabulous wagon and I am looking forward to your story. Could you provide more photos of the dual A/C system, I have that on my 66 but I bet that was a very rare option in 1960.

Subscribed! That is a fabulous wagon and I am looking forward to your story. Could you provide more photos of the dual A/C system, I have that on my 66 but I bet that was a very rare option in 1960.

What would you like to see?

Does your '66 have the rear view mirror mounted to the dash? I know in '65 wagons with dual air they mounted it on the dash but not sure what year they stopped.

My 1960 came originally with a dash-mounted rear view mirror but along the line, someone converted it to a top mounted one. JC Whitney used to sell the bracket to convert them. Problem is that the rear A/C unit blocks the top half of the mirror for me and the visors aren't usable because they meet in the middle with no cutout for the mirror.

60_001.jpg

60_002.jpg

60_003.jpg

jcwhitney1962.jpg

Does your '66 have the rear view mirror mounted to the dash? I know in '65 wagons with dual air they mounted it on the dash but not sure what year they stopped.

My 1960 came originally with a dash-mounted rear view mirror but along the line, someone converted it to a top mounted one. JC Whitney used to sell the bracket to convert them. Problem is that the rear A/C unit blocks the top half of the mirror for me and the visors aren't usable because they meet in the middle with no cutout for the mirror.

View attachment 398499

View attachment 398500

View attachment 398501

View attachment 398502

Nick, I flew from Detroit to LAX in July of '85 after I'd found the Batwagon in the Sunday LA Times, No functional internet back then remember? That '61 9 passenger had been sold new in Anaheim at what ever that Chrysler Dealers Name was? It had languished in a back yard in Fullerton for 13+ when I found it, and there were still 3 Captive Air tires on the ground, both fronts and left rear obviously all flat after that amount of time, and after buying 4 inner tubes those 3 captive Airs and what ever the other one was sufficed for the trip back to S.E. Michigan on an open transport car hauler. I'll add that they were Black Walls and I'll also add here that the 413 was evaluated and assessed as being a boat anchor. At that point the hemorrhaging started and didn't stop for the next 22 years. We each believe what we want to believe based on our individual research. Stay well and have fun with your Long Roof AND your F, I did. Jer

Last edited:
Nick, I flew from Detroit to LAX in July of '85 after I'd found the Batwagon in the Sunday LA Times, No functional internet back then remember? That '61 9 passenger had been sold new in Anaheim at what ever that Chrysler Dealers Name was? It had languished in a back yard in Fullerton for 13+ when I found it, and there were still 3 Captive Air tires on the ground, both fronts and left rear obviously all flat after that amount of time, and after buying 4 inner tubes those 3 captive Airs and what ever the other one was sufficed for the trip back to S.E. Michigan on an open transport car hauler. I'll add that they were Black Walls and I'll also add here that the 413 was evaluated and assessed as being a boat anchor. At that point the hemorrhaging started and didn't stop for the next 22 years. We each believe what we want to believe based on our individual research. Stay well and have fun with your Long Roof AND your F, I did. Jer

Did you ever get a build record from Chrysler? It has the tire codes on it. I also found the build sheet under the carpet in mine. My car was originally sold new at Max Barish Inc. at 4th and LaBrea in Los Angeles. The VIN is very close to my 300F so they are nice siblings.

No, It wasn't relevant at the time and still isn't. Car was yuck beige, BUT IT WAS LIVING, BREATHING"KINDA" '61 9 PASSENGER. Grand kids of the owner had been climbing from the rear bumper steps to the half open tail gate, running across the roof and sliding down the windshield and then jumping off the hood for years. Roof had a few divots in it that had to be tink-tinked, no big deal. Hood had quarter size holes rusted thru' from the under side out which obviously had to be replaced too. Windshield and wiper arms were junk. T-gate had to be replaced as well because of trapped condensation on the bottom channel destroyed enough of the torsion bar anchors that made the whole gate junk except for the glass and regulator. Sold it in the fall of '13 and recovered enough to put a 45% down stroke on a pretty serious 2000 Sq. Ft. 3 bedroom home in an above average neighborhood in Wilmington, N.C. Wife wanted to be close to family, and after 52 years of wedded bliss I came to the conclusion then rather quickly that that waz a fist fight I was doomed to loose so here we are and I still have two toys to buzz around in, just not the Batwagon and one of those two sits outside, Jer

Last edited:
I am in Rancho Cucamonga, so not that far away from Ramona. I have been to the Ramona Pageant a few times in my life starting when I was not much more than a toddler.

Steve

Ah, the Ramona Pageant is somewhere else. My Ramona is in northern San Diego. Still not that far.

View attachment 398499

View attachment 398500

View attachment 398501

View attachment 398502
I'd like to see what the roof unit looks like, the dash vents and controls, and the underhood plumbing. Does the system work? If not, is it complete with all the parts?

My 66 does have the dash mounted mirror. It took some getting used to looking lower but now it is no problem. I also have a nice AAA compass...

DSCF5039.JPG

DSCF5042.JPG

Back