1961 Chrysler New Yorker

1966 sport fury

Reaction score
I tried for 20 years to buy this car. It belong to my late aunts mother. It sit in her barn until my late uncle pulled it out and let it sit in his driveway. The tag has a 1995 plate. The deck lid leaked and rotted some of the trunk out near the deck latch. It has the 413 wedge engine. They both passed away a few years a go and it and all they had was left to their grand daughter. She gave it to me. She found the title in a ammo box with the land deeds. I was lucky she did and I found the keys in a can in the garage. I had it pulled home and since I live next door it didn't cost much. Needs complete brakes. The engine was stuck and I soaked it with tranny fluid mixed with diesel fuel and it broke loose. I had the starter and alternator rebuilt and installed a new starter relay. Getting ready to check for spark and going to put new plugs in and see if it starts with starting fluid before I go further. It needs the carb rebuilt and new fuel tank. The water pump is also froze. Only 58 thousand miles on this car. I have cleaned it and power washed it too.

20230628_110319.jpg

20230628_111423.jpg

20230628_112629.jpg

20230628_113006.jpg

20230628_150451.jpg

Usually those circumstances don't end well for the car or the guy that wants it.
Glad to see it saved and the new owner ecstatic about it. :thumbsup:

They're great looking cars and I love seeing the engine bay, so simple and easy to work on. Now post some interior pictures.

Disconnect the rubber hose from tank to fuel pump, don’t suck the garbage and pump it into the carb

I did cut the fuel line hose. Got a set of points today but they are the wrong ones and it got hot so I stopped for the day. I will take some of the inside and post them

Yes the points are different than late 60’s and 70’s.

Congratulations on your new toy....

When You are ready to address the brakes --- I have everything brand new , in top of the line quality ---
The Master Cylinder, All SIX (6) Wheel Cylinders, the Brake Shoes, Brake Hoses, and even Brake Drums....
( You will need a special puller to pull off the Rear Hub and Drums to inspect ... and sitting all that time ---
It is assured you will need all the hydraulics and brake shoes.... )

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested.... Craig.....

I will Craig. I would like to hear it run before I push it into my building and get it up on jack stands. I am thinking about putting in a new electronic dist. in it from summit

Last edited:
Well talk about luck. All the times I have been turning it over I have put the cap back on. Well this morning i took it off and turned it over and the distributor wasn't turning. I pulled it out ant right where it goes into the gear the shaft was broke. I took a long pair of needle nose pliers and worked it back and forth then would spray it some. I did this a few times and the broke piece came out. So now I do need a distributor.

Well talk about luck. All the times I have been turning it over I have put the cap back on. Well this morning i took it off and turned it over and the distributor wasn't turning. I pulled it out ant right where it goes into the gear the shaft was broke. I took a long pair of needle nose pliers and worked it back and forth then would spray it some. I did this a few times and the broke piece came out. So now I do need a distributor.

Check with Ray at @halifaxhops. He should have everything you need.

Good luck with your project. The 60 and 61 New Yorkers were head turners then, and "Oh, wow!" Head turners now. Let's get a look at the interior. There are many here who can help with your Forward Look project. Keep posting!

FYI the 1961 distributor shaft is different than a late 60’s and newer. You have to move the plug wires one space over in the cap. Forgot which way but you can figure it out easily
Look at this before you try to start it and it wont play.

Found this out the hard way.

Yes they are clocked differently. the shaft is prob frozen so it sheared the tab Prob have one but that has to come apart and be rebuilt.

Need to put oil in the cup on these old distributors that have been sitting before cranking them over.

You can use a later 60’s distributor just move the wire’s one tower over.

Should have a oil cup on the side. If not it is the wrong housing. PM me if you need parts I am out.

Back