1963-1964 C Body

OK then, what are the 63/64 Chryslers? Mike

The '63-'64 Chryslers are usually just referred to "full sized Chryslers". The Exner forward look car line ended with the '62 models, Virgil Exner designed the '63-'64 body lines before being fired from Chrysler during the '63 model run. The '65 Chrysler car line was completely redesigned by others and those cars became the "slab side" C-Bodies.

Dave

They are still fantastic and MAJESTIC by any name !!!

The "B" bodies are 1965 - 1972,
And the 1962 s - 1964 s we call the "Pre - "B" s"

Don't know if we have to give the 1963 - 1964 Chryslers
Any specific name ?!?! I guess it is up to us ?!?!

Yours, Craig.....

Perhaps, rather than VIN designations as to body size designations, it might be interesting to look at some of the early "internal Chrysler" designations for these body series designations?

Reason I say that is that GM didn't really start to use the VIN designations until about the earlier 1970s, BUT the Internal-use body designations had been around since the 1940s in a slightly different orientation. The "small" cars were Chevrolets and were "A" bodies, with the next-larger cars being "B" bodies, and the "C" body being the Olds 98, Buick Electra, and Cadillacs. But this was also back when there was only ONE general size of car, "full-size", corporate-wise. But with the introductin of the 1960-new "compact" size front engine/rear drive) cars (i.e., Chevy II, Cutlass), then the "intermediate" size front engine/rear drive) cars in 1964, the ranges got a bit wider. With the Biscayne/BelAir/Impala remaining "full-size". These designations OR actual model names were also "parts book designations", too.

By the time I got into the GM dealership parts dept. work, I was already fully aware of the Chrysler-style body designations. So seeing something of the same thing in GM by that time, made sense to me. When I started digging into the 1964-'72 parts books, I noticed the non-letter designations and the transition into the letter designations. So, for clarity, I just projected those letter designations backward to keep things standardized in my mind. This also made things easier as I would use the "modern" designations to describe 1960s-era cars in my notes. Therefore a "BL69" would be a Chevy Impala 4-dr sedan whether in 1960 or 1980. Plus, easier to scirbble on the paper, too!

In this orientation of 1960+ Chrysler Internal Designations, the Valiant/Dart would be the smallest and "A" cars, with the "full-size" cars (CPDD) being "C" cars, and the largest most majestics Imperials were "D" cars. By observation, the "C" and "D" designations might be projected rearward for many decaides, too.

The "suddenly-downsized" Plymouths and Dodge full-sized cars of 1962 would later lead to the 1965 "B" body cars, by observation. But the parts book designations were still "P" and "D", for Plymouth and Dodge, respectively. Using the model series names and intials kept things simple for the service and sales sides of things. With the model year designation being a completely different letter designation (for VIN purposes, it seems).

Now, were the 1963-'64 Chryslers just enlarged 1962 Plymouths or Dodges, with a longer wheelbase and up-rated chassis items? As engineering transitioned from the 1957 models into the more modern orientations of the up-coming mid-1960s.

My question would be: Might the body-size designations that we normally deal with in the 1965 and later model years also be related to some internal Chrysler body series designations, too? Perhaps there might be some "Collectible Automobile" or "WPC News" magazine articles which might offer more information in this area? Or somebody with knowledge of the Chrysler internal designations, themselves?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

have the blue ht , cut up the red one , had a white rag . all Ks .
Scan0021_0021.jpg
2012-08-25_0022.jpg

They are still fantastic and MAJESTIC by any name !!!

The "B" bodies are 1965 - 1972,
And the 1962 s - 1964 s we call the "Pre - "B" s"

Don't know if we have to give the 1963 - 1964 Chryslers
Any specific name ?!?! I guess it is up to us ?!?!

Yours, Craig.....

Respectfully disagree. The B-body ran from 1962 to 1979.

The 79 Cordoba would be the end of the line for it. The R-body was basically a longer wheelbase Cordoba that fit 4 doors and ran from 79 to 81.

Kevin

One reason why you don't see many of them is that they didn't sell very well. The '65 almost matched their entire production in sales.

The '63-'64 Chryslers are usually just referred to "full sized Chryslers". The Exner forward look car line ended with the '62 models, Virgil Exner designed the '63-'64 body lines before being fired from Chrysler during the '63 model run. The '65 Chrysler car line was completely redesigned by others and those cars became the "slab side" C-Bodies.

Dave
I have a copy of a PDF chart showing evolution of all Mopar body lines. It shows 1960-64 fullsize as "1st generation unibody", without a letter designation. The information apparently came from Diran Yazejian, a designer at Chrysler from 1959-96. I found an online copy here:

https://fcagroup.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Early-Chrysler-standardization.pdf

When you're trying to figure out parts interchange, it's more important to know which years are mechanically the same rather than similar styling. Mechanically, 63-64 should be close to 60-62 Forward Look cars, even though they may be styled differently.

I have a copy of a PDF chart showing evolution of all Mopar body lines. It shows 1960-64 fullsize as "1st generation unibody", without a letter designation. The information apparently came from Diran Yazejian, a designer at Chrysler from 1959-96. I found an online copy here:

https://fcagroup.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Early-Chrysler-standardization.pdf

When you're trying to figure out parts interchange, it's more important to know which years are mechanically the same rather than similar styling. Mechanically, 63-64 should be close to 60-62 Forward Look cars, even though they may be styled differently.

So true, can't tell you how many parts I found that fit Dodge 440's and 880's as well as my 64. There definitely is a line of demarcation between the 63-64's and the C body platform in 65 onward. Tapered rear axles is just one of the many items left over from the Forward Look that were on my 64 and done away with on the C body.

Here's one for ya - The 1964 through 1966 Imperials are NOT "Y"-body cars, they are the "Y" car line. They are actually "D"-body cars. No Imperial was actually called a "Y"-body officially, until the front-drivers from 1988 - 1992.

My 1966 "D"-body Imperial...

Imp 4-7-20.jpg

Always liked this model Chrysler.
These years are the Letter series cars I remember Dad bringing home occasionally. Usually fully loaded, they were like an amusement park to this very young car nut. I think I ran the battery down playing with all the power accessories one night listening to the Beatles and Beach Boys!
We had two 63 Newport wagons and a 64 Newport sedan.

I had given up looking for a legible copy of that chart years ago. Thank you sir.

63 64 Chryslers are a aquiured taste. But then what do I know,I like 61 Plymouths!
I have 3 63 300 parts cars that I'm using for my Plymouths.
JMO Personally I like the 64s a little better than the 63s because of the semi fin on 64s
Also the convs better than coupes. That rear roof pilar always looks kinda odd
I'm wondering, why aren't many 63/64 c bodies of any nature posted? I personally like the looks. just my $.02

1964 CHRYSLER 300 K CONVERTIBLE - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

Back