1963 300J a father an sons restoration project

Didn't Desoto actually share the Chrysler body?

The odd overlap seems like the '63 880 which appeared to use a '62 Chrysler shell.

Last edited:
Yes DeSoto shared Chrysler bodies, wheelbase 126" full frame pre-1960, and 122" unit body in '60/61
Except for Firesweeps which in '57/58/59 shared the 122" Dodge body (full frame construction.)
There was actually a '62 880 as well, it came out late in Dec 62 when the "full size" 116" wb 1962 /440/Polara flopped and it was obvious a real full size car was needed. It had a '61 Dodge front clip and 62 Newport rear end with modified tailights. Kind of a hybrid.
The "full size" 116" wheelbase Savoy/Belv/Fury also bombed in the marketplace, but made do with a slight stretch until '65 when the Big Fury came back.
Shame really as the 116" 62s were really great cars, among Mopars best imho.

Back to '63 300-J, again my opinion, the 63 Chryslers were one of the best looking ever to wear the name. I remember seeing a '63 Newport in Ivory in the showroom, it was such a clean and elegant shape and huge change from '62, a really striking car when introduced fall '62.

Last edited:
WOW, much respect for you dudes who know this Chrysler/factory stuff inside & out, I just learned a ton about Chrysler vehicles that I never even knew before (and I've owned more than one or two):notworthy: Thanks!

Except for Firesweeps which in '57/58/59 shared the 122" Dodge body (full frame construction.)

I honestly don't know about the '59 Desoto's, as far as wheelbase differences between the Firesweep and the upper models, but they all used the Chrysler body. The '57-'58 Firesweep also still used the Chrysler body, but the front clip was from Dodge for the '57-'58 Desoto and also for the '58 Windsor. The 4 inches of wheelbase was lost between the front edge of the door and the front axle.

The '60 and '61 Chryslers used up this wheelbase difference in the same manner, but they made two lengths of the same Chrysler front fenders and hood. The New Yorker and the 300 being the 126". The '62 300 went shorter, but I think the '62 New Yorker was still the long version, and again on this particular point I'm not certain, but solid enough that I'd wager a beer on it.

Last edited:
Here to the opposite effect Canada made a longer wheelbase car out of a Plymouth body using the the longer (than Plymouth) Dodge front clip.

I'm going to assume that the '59 Chrysler/Desoto made two lengths of their own front clip as I know they did in '60,'61 and yes I think the '62 NY as well.

My Dad had a really nice '64 New Yorker, but the '57-'61 finned Mopars are the ones that make me all warm and fuzzy.... and of course the '67-'68 Chryslers.

57 dodge-plymouth.jpg

Last edited:
Those Canuck Plodges are cool. That lower side trim was unique to them and very nice.

Well technically they ALL used the same (formerly Briggs) body as the basic shells themselves in all the cars were the same from firewall back, and the stretch was all from the firewall forward, but the 57/8 FireSweeps and 58 Windsors were both built alongside Dodges in the Dodge plants at Lynch Rd (Detroit) and in Calif. so I call it a Dodge body.

I prefer driving the 122"wb fin cars: we own a '58 Windsor 4 dr hardtop now and had a '58 FireSweep, and '57 Sport Sub, but back in the 70s/80s we had a 126"wb 300C vert, '58 NYer vert and a 122"wb 58 Royal sedan. Both 'verts are now in Sweden I think, I know for sure the black NYer is. 2 we shoulda kept, but who knew?

Last edited:
Roger... You're pushing my buttons.

"Yes DeSoto shared Chrysler bodies, wheelbase 126" full frame pre-1960, and 122" unit body in 60/61
Except for Firesweeps which in '57/58/59 shared the 122" Dodge body."

NO, The Firesweep also used the Chrysler body, they just used the Dodge front clip to utilize the 4" shorter wheelbase for the low priced Desoto (Firesweep). Your insistence on this makes me doubt that you have any familiarity with these cars, much less own one, or the other cars you listed. Let's see you put a Dodge deck lid on your Firesweep, you might as well try one from an Oldsmobile. Here's a shocker... ANY '57-'58 Chrysler deck lid fits perfectly...Hmmm???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There was actually a '62 880 as well, it came out late in Dec 62"

There was a '62 880, but it was a mid-year model and by Dec '62 it was long replaced with the '63 model with the new front clip that they carried through '64.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well technically they ALL used the same (formerly Briggs) body as the basic shells themselves in all the cars were the same from firewall back, and the stretch was all from the firewall forward, but the 57/8 FireSweeps and 58 Windsors were both built alongside Dodges in the Dodge plants at Lynch Rd (Detroit) and in Calif. so I call it a Dodge body."

Good God man... Really??? Ray Charles can see that there are definetely 4 different body shells between the 5 Chrysler Corp makes. The Chrysler and Desoto sharing one body...Hmmmm... seems I heard that somewhere before. The same body shell through all the makes was a pre-WWII thing, definitely not the cars we are talking about.

Desotos, Chryslers and Dodges were built along side each other and that makes them all Dodges???

If you worked at McDonalds and insisted that everything that came down the chute was a cheeseburger because all the sandwiches were built in the same place the cheeseburger was, you would be fired within 10 minutes.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so if you find anyone besides yourself that say thay all these '57-'58 cars share the same body shell, let them post it to back you up. I'm not holding my breath on this one, as I am a sighted person and figure anyone able to comment on these pictures would be also. Any sighted people are welcome to comment on these pictures and tell us if you see the same body shell in all the makes.

You possibly have some legitimate knowledge of some Chrysler history, but when you add the mass of BS madeup details it takes the credibility out of all of it. These posts will be here indefinitely, so it is asinine to add false information to try to impress someone. People use the internet for a reference, so lets have some integrity and make the information as correct as possible. If you want to be respected, do your research and post credible information like Stan has.

My mother told me that it is better to be thought stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. "I DON'T KNOW" are probably the most intelligent words that could come out of anyone's mouth in many points of our lives.

57 Imperial (61).jpg

57 300 C (2).jpg

57 DeSoto_ (1).jpg

58 dodge 3.jpg

58 Plymouth Fury (2).JPG

Last edited:
Here are the '57-'59 roof lines side by side. Dodge/Plymouth roof line in the foreground and the Chrysler/Desoto roof line in the background.

Ray Charles... What do you think???

59 Dodge_ (3).jpg

Geez Has2bmopar thanks for clearing that up but your really need to stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think :grin:

Egg shells?..........What egg shells?

"My point exactly, Stan, and the chart emphasizes it, actually: that the name "C" was NOT applied to the full size cars before 1965."

I am REALLY confused how you take actual facts that contradict your point and act like they fit your arguement???

I was totally going to stay out of the full size lable dispute, but you seem to twist things after the fact and act like you won the arguement, when I think it is more likely that the others just got fed up, and gave up, because your responses don't make sense.

Stan's chart doesn't emphasize one fact over another, and I fail to see where it states any pre '65 full size models as AKA - C-bodies. If you want to put them all together in their like family, "Full size" would be the simple undisputed fact, and is less syllables than "C-body." Nor has anyone said the C-body is a somehow better fullsize than the previous cars. The title to the website is likely just following the trend that FABO and FBBO started. I have not noticed any prejudice against any fullsize Chrysler product here, so why the fuss???

If you had three kids... Bob, Billy and along came Sally... Do you start calling Bob and Billy, Sally??? I don't think the older ones would feel left out not being called Sally, and they would know they still belong in the group as one unit titled "siblings."

Don't abandon the website cause I'm ripping you a new one here, (you earned this one) just research your facts, and say "oops" when you need to. God and everyone else here knows I've had to.

P.S. There is no d in grotesque

Last edited:
And I'm done all around, after the intemperate ad hominem attacks on the other thread by this b2 C body expert person for whom such nastiness is evidently a pattern, judging by his responses to 66Newport. I believe no one is here to mislead or intentionally disseminate false information, and need not be responded to by insults and name calling. A hobby is supposed to be for fun and relaxation, but some take things way too far. Latre.

Last edited:
I think this is me

I'm not really sure that this is directed at myself, as I'm not b2 or an expert, and I don't recall having any correspondance with a 66Newport.

However "nastiness" has been an occasional fault of which I am guilty, so I'm going with myself as the culprit here also. I will apologize again to Stan in the beginning, 70FuselageImperial (sorry, I don't know your name), Matt, Dave and the Swedish guy with the mentally impaired bears.... I am sorry...

My responses do go over the top at times, but this one?...No. This thread needs an apology from the other direction, and given to more people than myself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firedome) Post #20 "The '63-'64 Dodge 880's may well have been what the Desoto would have become".....

Has2bmopar) # 21 My 1st post on this thread in response was an accurate fact, given as a question to be polite. "Didn't Desoto actually share the Chrysler body?"

Firedome) #22 You could have researched and responded. "Why yes they did", and would have been the fact clenching hero, but you added... "Except for the Firesweep." (At this point I just felt you were mistaken)

Has2bmopar) #24-25 Pleasant dissection of '57-'61 Desoto/Chrysler facts... Info you could have checked and confirmed, but...no.

Firedome) #27 You ignored the facts that I presented, which were accurate, and disseminated your own fiction as fact, however nice your demeanor, this is harshly insulting, as my facts were correct.... You are in the wrong.

Has2bmopar) #28,29& 31 Aggravated reponses to having my correct data disregarded and replaced with made up fiction presented as fact to make yourself appear wiser, and myself the fool. How is that not intentionally misleading with false information??? That is arrogant, dishonest and ignorant. BTW these are traits you exposed in yourself, not names or insults.

Last edited:
Names I called Firedome in my aggravated state

" Roger, you, your, man... yourself, anyone's

They are together for all to see... You can check it yourself... Oops, I repeated two of them again.

This is very hurtful... evidently???

This site is absolutely an information source, so when you insist on taking correct information and replace it with your own self ego boosting fiction, as a hobby, it can be harmful to those that need correct information, like having someone send them a quarter panel from accross the country from a Dodge, that an "expert" told them was the same as a Desoto.

You might take a look at yourself and see who is actually being hurtful. Obviously my response was not taken too far, as you are still denying reality.

Facts, though seldom impressive, are always self enforcing.

Fiction, will always be exposed by the reality of facts.

I'm now certain you have no intention of acknowledging reality here, and will not have learned anything from it, but none the less, like I stated before... I have made an *** of myself in my own way here in other posts. I'm sure you will remain welcome here, however you leave this particular exchange.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure that this is directed at myself, as I'm not b2 or an expert, and I don't recall having any correspondance with a 66Newport.

However "nastiness" has been an occasional fault of which I am guilty, so I'm going with myself as the culprit here also. I will apologize again to Stan in the beginning, 70FuselageImperial (sorry, I don't know your name), Matt, Dave and the Swedish guy with the mentally impaired bears.... I am sorry...

My responses do go over the top at times, but this one?...No. This thread needs an apology from the other direction, and given to more people than myself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firedome) Post #20 "The '63-'64 Dodge 880's may well have been what the Desoto would have become".....

Has2bmopar) # 21 My 1st post on this thread in response was an accurate fact, given as a question to be polite. "Didn't Desoto actually share the Chrysler body?"

Firedome) #22 You could have researched and responded. "Why yes they did", and would have been the fact clenching hero, but you added... "Except for the Firesweep." (At this point I just felt you were mistaken)

Has2bmopar) #24-25 Pleasant dissection of '57-'61 Desoto/Chrysler facts... Info you could have checked and confirmed, but...no.

Firedome) #27 You ignored the facts that I presented, which were accurate, and disseminated your own fiction as fact, however nice your demeanor, this is harshly insulting, as my facts were correct.... You are in the wrong.

Has2bmopar) #28,29& 31 Aggravated reponses to having my correct data disregarded and replaced with made up fiction presented as fact to make yourself appear wiser, and myself the fool. How is that not intentionally misleading with false information??? That is arrogant, dishonest and ignorant. BTW these are traits you exposed in yourself, not names or insults.

No need for apology, no offense has been taken by me dude, not in the slightest. In fact, I admire your depth of knowledge, keep on sharing.

Back