1964 New Yorker Hood Alignment: Help!

Padre4art

Reaction score
Hey folks - my new (old) NYer has an alignment problem with the hood. It is nearly 1/4 inch above the fender edges - same both sides. The hinges are already pushed down as far as they go (slotted holes). The fenders were replaced some time ago, never lined up properly.

Questions:
1) Are these hinges known to have a wear out problem where they don't lower the hood all the way (they seem fine, look good, not loose, operate smoothly).

2) Would it be better to raise the fenders, or make longer slots in the hinges?

Thanks for help!

Art

The factory used shim packs on the fenders to get proper alignment. There are two bolts at the rear of the fender where it approaches the cowl mount, shims are added or taken out to get the fender aligned with the cowl louver and the top of the doors. Start there to see if that much is properly aligned. Once you are satisfied that the fender is properly aligned, check the rubber bumpers towards the rear of the fender to see if they are keeping the hood from properly closing. The hinges usually did not wear enough to cause large alignment issues, especially if the pins are still tight. Check the top of the hinge where it mounts to the hood to see if any shims were installed there as that could also cause the hood to ride high. The hood can also ride high if the hood is set too far forward on the hood to hinge mount. If there is a big gap between the rear of the hood and the cowl louver, the hood is too far forward. One of the problems with moving sheet metal from one car to another is the parts get tweaked from use and do not always conform to factory dimensions, so you may have to get creative to get things to fit properly.

Dave

The factory used shim packs on the fenders to get proper alignment. There are two bolts at the rear of the fender where it approaches the cowl mount, shims are added or taken out to get the fender aligned with the cowl louver and the top of the doors. Start there to see if that much is properly aligned. Once you are satisfied that the fender is properly aligned, check the rubber bumpers towards the rear of the fender to see if they are keeping the hood from properly closing. The hinges usually did not wear enough to cause large alignment issues, especially if the pins are still tight. Check the top of the hinge where it mounts to the hood to see if any shims were installed there as that could also cause the hood to ride high. The hood can also ride high if the hood is set too far forward on the hood to hinge mount. If there is a big gap between the rear of the hood and the cowl louver, the hood is too far forward. One of the problems with moving sheet metal from one car to another is the parts get tweaked from use and do not always conform to factory dimensions, so you may have to get creative to get things to fit properly.

Dave
Good suggestions…thank you Dave!

sometimes, as a bit of a 'bush' fix you could place a 2x2 behind the hinge and lift the hood to 'adjust' it that way. I don't have enough experience on these cars to guarantee it though. but I used to have to try to set panel gaps as part of my work in my past

Back