For Sale 1965 Dodge Monaco 426 Wedge 4-Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is a rare car and you said it moves under it's own power, but have you considered just doing mechanical repairs for now so you can drive it. I would be out banging gears with it while collecting the final pieces for the resto and saving my pennies. Just some food for thought.

A big difference in your comparison is that those cars are popular, and have enough sales volume and demand to keep prices up, even if rustbuckets. The market dictates - supply and demand working in harmony. Cannot compare that to Cbody action.

No argument that they are popular. But a 318 rust bucket '68-'70 Charger selling in the $15,000 range and then being restored is insane to ME. How many were made compared to mine? A '65 Monaco will not draw the interest of those Chargers but mine is probably more rare than 99.99% of them. If not all of them........just some fodder for thought.

I know it is a rare car and you said it moves under it's own power, but have you considered just doing mechanical repairs for now so you can drive it. I would be out banging gears with it while collecting the final pieces for the resto and saving my pennies. Just some food for thought.

It has crossed my mind more than once. It has been off the road since 1984. Brake lines,brakes,fuel lines,gas tank,4 new tires(has bias ply from god knows what year,lol),some wiring and parts would need to go back on(removal by original owner),and what ever else. More of an investment than I would like without just moving forward with the whole car.

About 8 years ago a customer of mine had a 65 Sport Fury for sale, 426, 4-speed, he said the paint was ruby red. It needed a resto, but was complete, he sold it for $8,000 without any parts for it's resto. It is a rare car because of the 426 4-speed combo, but not as rare as your 426 4-speed Monaco

My opinion only, here. If I didn't have to sell, and didn't want to deal with lowballers, flippers, etc., that's exactly how I would sell a car. Here it is, this is how much it is, and if you don't want it for that, oh well. GLWS

Give me a minute and I can get you the production numbers on your car. A have to ask a friend to look it up.....

FWIW, I really like your car, and I think knowing how meaningful it is to you, you ought to restore it and enjoy the **** out of it!

Just a thought.

Last edited:
If he happens to use Galen's White Book, I take those numbers with a HUGE grain of salt. I believe he quotes somewhere in the neighborhood of 240? or so. We discussed this on here some time back and I made a statement that IF there were that many made there should be more than just mine known to exist......

My opinion only, here. If I didn't have to sell, and didn't want to deal with lowballers, flippers, etc., that's exactly how I would sell a car. Here it is, this is how much it is, and if you don't want it for that, oh well. GLWS

Thank you, sir! :thumbsup:

If he happens to use Galen's White Book, I take those numbers with a HUGE grain of salt. I believe he quotes somewhere in the neighborhood of 240? or so. We discussed this on here some time back and I made a statement that IF there were that many made there should be more than just mine known to exist......

Galen? About C bodies? His expertise lies elsewhere.

The question really isn't how many surive, or exist, its how many were built.

Last edited:
The only recent comparable I am aware of was the 65 300L 4-speed hardtop that recently sold at the Birmingham, AL, auction. I believe that car got around $12k and it was in better shape than your car. I use this as a comparable because its a 65 C-Body 4-speed car and L 4-speeds have to be as rare as the Monaco, in fact maybe more so. You would think that a Dodge would have more 4-speeds ordered than a Chrysler.

Thank you, sir! :thumbsup:
Let me try to put some new words to this idea... you are looking for the one person who sees this car as you do. I know there will be more then one, but you the one with enough cash, ambition and guts to make her whole again... knowing it will be a financial loss the entire time.

I don't think that person will be easy to find. I hope they are still young enough to take this on (this would be where the generation gap starts to show). You did state you are OK with holding her until you can get to her yourself... that may be the likely outcome, but perhaps you will find some folks along the way who share the vision, but can't put the project together at least for now.

During my time here, some very interesting 300F's have shown up... a holy grail car to me. The ones I could think about would require me to quickly clear out everything I have, and start over with a project, not a driver. IDK if I will ever own one, but if I do she's gonna be rough... and there will still be at least a couple Formals in my possession.

As the generation that truly values these cars give them up, I'm thinking my best chance is about the time I'm thinking of retiring... Maybe by then I'll only have to work one more year to afford one.

If you are serious about selling this car please post pictures of the underside of the car, the stubby and the trunk. It's very difficult to to determine restoration costs without better pictures.

Mate, if my pockets were deep enough, I'd happily fork out the 20K for it and restore it. This model is my favourite of the mid-sixties Mopars, with the 426 & manual gearbox it's just that much sweeter. Love it. :thumbsup:

I've just decided to sell my NYB. I want $20,000.00 and I am firm. If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it. If you don't think I'm serious, give me $20k right now and you'll own it.

knowing it will be a financial loss the entire time.

Agreed.......but is that not the modus operandi with almost ALL cars being restored....?? Money is a big factor but I think the big picture is being missed. If you spend $5000 to buy a car and restore it and it is not much more than a run of the mill model, final value is probably fairly low. Pay a little more for something rare and quite possibly will bring more in final value. It is all about perspective, where do you want to start....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back