1965 Monaco Package Tray Color

65 Monaco

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 11.10.07 PM.png
Have to repaint the molded package tray (deck behind the rear seats by the back window) and not sure of the original color with that saddle interior. Mine looks like a gray color but it could be a black that just faded over time. If anyone knows the correct color or has the saddle interior and can post a few pictures of that area it would be helpful. Here is a picture of the original saddle vinyl interior.

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I've got the saddle interior also.
Mine has been painted black years ago. I just looked at mine closer. If i slide the chrome trim off carefully, it appears mine has been painted a couple of times. Top layer is the black. Under that it appears it was painted a dark charcoal. Like yours? Under that it is a saddle shade approximately matching the seats. I know the black is not original as i can see the tape lines and overspray on the trim. I'll have to look at the sales brochures closely and interior paint codes. I'm thinking it should either match the seats or dash pad and console lid.
On similar note. How close is the 1969 Saddle vinyl dye and paint to our 65 Monaco Saddle.

Good question. I've got the saddle interior also.
Mine has been painted black years ago. I just looked at mine closer. If i slide the chrome trim off carefully, it appears mine has been painted a couple of times. Top layer is the black. Under that it appears it was painted a dark charcoal. Like yours? Under that it is a saddle shade approximately matching the seats. I know the black is not original as i can see the tape lines and overspray on the trim. I'll have to look at the sales brochures closely and interior paint codes. I'm thinking it should either match the seats or dash pad and console lid.
On similar note. How close is the 1969 Saddle vinyl dye and paint to our 65 Monaco Saddle.

Have no idea on the vinyl dye. I have the brochure for the '65 Monaco but they really don't show a picture where I can tell what the package tray color is. I did see a picture of another '65 and the package tray did match the seat color. Wondering if what you said is true about it originally being saddle color, and more importantly how to verify that and where to find the correct color now. Let me know if you can find the paint codes. Thanks

Well, my parts car also has the saddle tan, (I think that's what it's supposed to be), and the package tray appears to have been maybe a medium brown originally or possibly charcoal. I didn't feel like fighting thru the cobwebs to get too close.
DSCN4075.JPG

Autocolorlibrary.com. has paint codes for interior trim. It shows a low gloss "Medium Tan Poly" for the rear package shelf. Evidently the tan fades to a charcoal color over time. Previous owners probably assumed the gray was originally black.

That sounds very like what the one in my parts car would look like under the dirt. Haven't even broken out the book to see what it said....... duhhhh.

Autocolorlibrary.com. has paint codes for interior trim. It shows a low gloss "Medium Tan Poly" for the rear package shelf. Evidently the tan fades to a charcoal color over time. Previous owners probably assumed the gray was originally black.

Hi Dan,
Not much help here but the way the package tray is now is the way it was when I bought it. So basically over 25 years ago someone painted it. Don't forget that being a California car it probably faded fairly quick with all the sun.

Hi Dan,
Not much help here but the way the package tray is now is the way it was when I bought it. So basically over 25 years ago someone painted it. Don't forget that being a California car it probably faded fairly quick with all the sun.

I'll bet a lot of them got repainted black. I know i wasn't looking up paint codes 40 yrs. ago. I'd just paint it with a rattle can from ACE Hardware back in the day. Mine will probably stay just like it is. Looks ok with the black top.

IMG_0850.JPG

Here's a shot of the rear package tray of my car. Black is a good contrast with the saddle color seats.

Back