1965 Newport

1. disc brake front conversion
For a daily driver I would use the scarebird kit, easily sourced factory style parts.
2. "saggy a**" lift - new spring project
I build my own out of old springs, mostly on smaller cars with crap stacks to begin with. New springs would be the way to go.
surest factory engine decode for 65
Date is cast into the side of block 3-5 months ahead of build date and I would call it right.

@300rag .. is your '65 a console car too? ads say all 65 300's had consoles - right or wrong?
00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg

Looks like the actual shifter knob that made it to the cars is different in the ads.

00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-0.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg

And there's this "performance gauge" .. my old Newp has the console but I thought that gauge was a clock. apparently not. BTW, anybody with good steering wheel .. mines had better days.

00a0a_24chb61xkjv_1200x900-jpg.jpg
00v0v_5gktcltljnb_1200x900-jpg.jpg

sorry boss .. "getting old" here. forgot you had a 4 speed ... and for good measure i can't read either: "1965 Chrysler 300 convertible 413/4 speed" :)

seriously cool car!

random thought ... `Hemi-Newp?

picked this up today. 2011, 100K miles, 5.7 Hemi that checks out. doesnt look it, but body is rough (rust, looks like its been an a couple of collisions).

I would harvest the powertrain, sell the rest for parts, scrap what doesnt sell.

2019082795093951.jpg

So, thoughts? Would you drop a Hemi in the 65 Newp? Easy to do? Hard to do?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sounds like a great swap. Just the engine? Or trans also? I don't remember who, but one of the members here swapped one into a 67 or 68 Fury? If I remember right he had it up for sale a couple years ago.

Lots of possibilities here. I read on the first page it has a 383. Frankly electronics is what I wanted to avoid with these cars. I even run points. I am in the process of getting together a 440 stroker to 512 that is carburated,and will run points for my Fury III cause I feel I can do without electronics like the good old days,even without the Mopar ignition. The points won't go much over 6000 and my stroker won't even get there. So what. When the points start to float it will become a rev limiter. Fine by me. Your 383 can be a 440 or maybe more and make lots of HP old school style. I don't know what you specifically want ,,street or strip,,wow your buds ,or what. I just am giving another opinion.

Last edited:
If I remember right he had it up for sale a couple years ago.

It is still for sale I saw a month ago. As far as attractiveness to another buyer down the road this seems to be a downer. They have no idea what you did or whom to bring it to to fix if it is not relatively stock. And if they do work on cars well maybe they don't want the headache of figuring it out. These mods although cool have their downside in my opinion. Want a Hellcat? Buy one.

Just my opinion only.

thx 65sporty and turboomni. appreciate the thoughts.

engine, trans. and electronics. dont wanna butcher the car irretrieveably to do it.

objective is a cool different driver .. no need to prove anything except it (mix of old and new school) could be tastefully done.

dont care about resale that much but that said i wont spend megabucks to do this :)

can amybody find that other hemi slabbie car a member did?

Well I do know that if anyone can do a good job swapping and modding this car ,I'm sure amazinblue82 could do it.

That was Superfragl and here's most of the build thread Hemi Fury

i remember but never saw this thread. thanks!

well now i'm both inspired and scared.

@superfragl hit it outta the park as to how to do it right. luv his Fury. inspiring!

bit harder though than i thought on the fab/one-off solutions needed. scary!

still have a stroked R/B the Newp could get, so maybe a J body gets the Hemi ...:)

5.7 Hemi Swap in 79 Aspen 4 speed
Untitled.png
Untitled1.png

other than the guy who basically grafted a Mirada/Modern Hemi car together (BIG job, well done), didnt see anybody going more "pedestrian" with their FMJ Hemi swa- .. cept this one.

Dunno how it turned out though

Last edited:
still limping along on this one.

went with front disc brakes (69-72 vintage). fixed driver seat. everything but the clock seems to work. paint cannot buff out, still working on some metal patches ... looking for "Chrysler" block letters between the tailights tho...

got the 383-4V running pretty good (poor quality MP4 of it running around un-registrered on my buddy's "back forty" on a shakedown run -- 40 mph is all we can do back there). Should be ready for primetime next summer.

I have decoded this one accurately I believe .. but curious to know what any of you think about ONE thing: what engine do you decode was in this old '65 Newp at build date (Feb 1965)?

1965 Newport data plate.jpg

appreciate anyone's help on the engine decode you come up with... thanks in advance in any event.

1965 Newport video shot.jpg
1965 Newport video shot1.jpg
1965 Newport video shot12.jpg
1965 Newport video shot13.jpg

Good Evening
The second line of the fender tag (A-Z)
AB=99 Standard Engine w/PCV System (383 -2V)

I see that your car was scheduled for 15 Feb. Mine was scheduled 01 Feb.

Omni

still limping along on this one.

went with front disc brakes (69-72 vintage). fixed driver seat. everything but the clock seems to work. paint cannot buff out, still working on some metal patches ... looking for "Chrysler" block letters between the tailights tho...

got the 383-4V running pretty good (poor quality MP4 of it running around un-registrered on my buddy's "back forty" on a shakedown run -- 40 mph is all we can do back there). Should be ready for primetime next summer.

I have decoded this one accurately I believe .. but curious to know what any of you think about ONE thing: what engine do you decode was in this old '65 Newp at build date (Feb 1965)?

View attachment 548812

appreciate anyone's help on the engine decode you come up with... thanks in advance in any event.

View attachment 548816View attachment 548815View attachment 548813View attachment 548814
Hey Ray, nice underwater photography! :poke:

What do you guys make of this ... d '65 300L tag decoded as an example of how to read the '65 data plates.

Same AB 99 means 413 .. how do we know that engine from this plate vs. 383 from '65 Newp plate?

source: 1965 Chrysler Data Tag

1659614578651.png

1659614733030.png

Back