1965 Sport Fury ball joints

ricklunsford

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a upper ball joint socket to actually fit these ball joints ? I am at my wits end trying to get these out. They are K-722 ball joints and everywhere I see 1-59/64 sockets are supposed to fit. The socket is a bit small for the ball joint. I have even tried the 2-1/4 squared socket some talk of using. I have tried it with a impact wrench and if it would attempt to move it would work , but it doesn't attempt to move. It actually looks to be about 1-31/32 across. Any help would be very helpful. Thanks, Rick

It's 1-59/64ths. Its also probably encrusted. Wire brush it clean. Or maybe someone pounded on it and it became misshapen.
Use a 3/4 breaker bar with at least a 3' pipe on it.
Pull on that pipe to the point you absolutely swear you're going to snap the breaker bar. Then you'll hear the sharp crack of the ball joint breaking free.

Last edited:
1 59/64 is the Size.
F#ck breaker bar. Take them to a Garage with a good 3/4 impact. Thats what i did, 5 bucks later he had them out. Dont kill yourself. I snapped a ratchet in half and cut my hand on those Bastards.

It's 1-59/64ths. Its also probably encrusted. Wire brush it clean. Or maybe someone pounded on it and it became misshapen.
Use a 3/4 breaker bar with at least a 3' pipe on it.
Pull on that pipe to the point you absolutely swear you're going to snap the breaker bar. Then you'll hear the sharp crack of the ball joint breaking free.

The only other size is 2-9/64ths which was not used on your car.
So before debating this any further, did you scrape clean your ball joint?
After cleaning it, did it look like it was thrashed on?

Thank you to everyone for their input here. Seems like I was renting a cheap *** set of tools from advance. The socket was mis-sized. got a snap on and it fit perfect.

Glad to see the happy news. I've ordered a new Sunex 1 59/64" which I expect by next Wed. Am currently scrubbing everything clean CLEAN under the front end in preparation.

1 59/64 is the Size.
F#ck breaker bar. Take them to a Garage with a good 3/4 impact. Thats what i did, 5 bucks later he had them out. Dont kill yourself. I snapped a ratchet in half and cut my hand on those Bastards.
Agreed on that, there are some aspects of susp rebuild that are much better left to the pros. Upper BJs, R&R on the UCA bushigns, R&R of the LCA bushings. I've done all of those myself, and also watched experienced mechanics do it in significantly less time with stronger tools than my occasional-use cheap tools.

Now that I'm older and more experienced in repairs, I leave that to the pros. As the saying goes - I know what I've done, so I know what I'd do...

Edit - to clarify - I take the control arms off and take them to a shop, I can't afford $75/hr for a guy to remove tires, wheels, brakes, etc, to get to the arms.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of a previous mechanic welding my upper ball joints into the upper control arms which had discovered when I tore the front end of my Polara apart a few years ago.

Quality work I tell you!

Back