1965 Sport Fury question

Trailer Park

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I just bought a 65 Sport fury convertible. I have noticed that mine has a different hood ornament than other sport furys. I have not seen this on any others. Was this a factory option or added by a previous owner? Also, mine has mirrors on the fenders - was this a factory option or just an owner upgrade?

IMG_2429[1].JPG

IMG_2430[1].JPG

IMG_2424[1].JPG

That is an owner add on. Rocket hood emblems were popular in the mid '50's with several manufacturers, most notable Oldsmobile.

Dave

Hello, new to the forum so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I just bought a 65 Sport fury convertible. I have noticed that mine has a different hood ornament than other sport furys. I have not seen this on any others. Was this a factory option or added by a previous owner? Also, mine has mirrors on the fenders - was this a factory option or just an owner upgrade?

View attachment 362874

View attachment 362875

View attachment 362876
50’s era hood ornament. I don’t know what car it is from, but similar to a 55 Chevy.

Welcome to the group, Trailer Park!
I've had a 65 SF since 1993, so send me a PM if you need any advice. (there are other members here who can help too, of course)
There are MANY things specific to a 65 Fury, that differ from even a 66.

Judging by the Commando V8 Fender Emblem you should have the hood ornament with the engine call out on it.

1965-plymouth-sports-fury-hood-ornament-nick-gray.jpg

Lads --
The photo above with the 383 is correct for the hood ornament on 383s -- the 426 has a red bar and the other engines had no bar at all. I currently have a '65 Medium Red Metallic '65 Sport Fury that is the virtual twin to the one I had back in 1964-1967 and I'd be glad to answer any questions as well.
Joe Godec

I've got a '65 Sport Fury as well. One thing to consider is everything Sport Fury is red, white and blue. Even the hubcap emblems. The SF has the engine CI on the hood emblem as pointed out, as well as only 1 side mirror, unless they had one installed at the dealer or later on.

fury 1.jpg

fury2.jpg

Fury Fan --
No, but a previous owner (second one back) of my current '65 Sport Fury had "BIG 426" plates on it. It does have the
426-S and 4-speed.
Joe
Was trying to make the connection if that happened to be your car. That one was (and probably always will be) my pinnacle as benchmark combo of colors/condition for a 4-speed 65 SF.

I've got a '65 Sport Fury as well. One thing to consider is everything Sport Fury is red, white and blue. Even the hubcap emblems. The SF has the engine CI on the hood emblem as pointed out, as well as only 1 side mirror, unless they had one installed at the dealer or later on.
But what about 318 SFs? Don't they get engine-less hood ornaments?

Was trying to make the connection if that happened to be your car. That one was (and probably always will be) my pinnacle as benchmark combo of colors/condition for a 4-speed 65 SF.

Fury Fan --
On another web site, my current '65 SF was "MoPar of the Month" for September 2007 and you possibly could have seen it there. As I said, it is the virtual twin to the one I special ordered in 1964 from Hunter Brothers Chrysler-Plymouth in Pueblo, CO, taking delivery on 11-21-64 which coincidentally is the same date my current one was shipped from the Hamtramck plant. Both are/were Medium Red Metallic with matching interior, 426-S engines, 4-speeds, tinted glass, and Sure-Grip. The one now has the vinyl top, bumper guards, the dumb console-mounted tach, padded dash, and no PS, PB, or A/C. My earlier one did have power brakes, but was a radio-delete and I strapped a Sun tach to the steering column. I mostly agree with you on the color combo, except I'm not fond of the vinyl roof as I prefer the all-red of my first SF. Back in those days, I was trying to shave costs (note the radio-delete) so I didn't get much on that car that didn't contribute to its performance. But it was a great car and I had to get my current one so I could return to he days of my misspent youth.
Joe

Back