1966 Chrysler 300 Drivers Door Hinge Repair Part 1

traintech55

Reaction score
I am sure others on the site have had the same problem, the roller breaks out of the hinge and the door will not stay open. I am also sure this repair will work on all 1965 thru 1968 "C" body cars.
This whole mess started when I replaced the broken hinge on my car. after getting the new one in and the door realigned it really ticked me off to have the new one break the same way after opening and closing the door 3 times.

Hinge repair 1. .jpg
Hinge repair 2. .jpg
Hinge Repair 3. .jpg

Pictures 1, 2, and 3 show the hinge with the old roller and pin removed.
Hinge repair 4. .jpg

Here is the new pin to hold the roller in place. Chrysler used a roll pin for this and this is way stronger. It is a 1/4' by 2 inch rivet.
Hinge repair 5. .jpg

You will need a new tension spring also, this is the closest I could find at the hardware store.
Hinge repair 6. .jpg

Here is the original roller from the hinge I replaced. The roller from my original hinge was long gone, so this is what I used,
Hinge Repair 7. .jpg

This is a 5/8" by 3 1/2 " bolt. This is the exact diameter of the roller. You want to remove the head and cut the bolt down to size so it fits into the hinge with about an 1/8" clearance between the hinge body. Drill a 3/16" hole thru the center of the bolt. Here is what the new one looks like.
Hinge repair 8. .jpg
Hinge repair 9. .jpg

Then LUBE the new roller and pin and assemble it.
Hinge repair 10. .jpg

On the other hand, if you want to replicate but don't want to buy a bag of 100 roll pins, give me a shout, I have 99 of them left. :BangHead:

I do believe the rivet will be a hell of a lot stronger than the roll pin.
Not saying it wouldn't be, personally I don't give a **** if it breaks again in another 54 years, it won't be me fixing it.
:lol:
I will say though, if you don't remove the hinge, (like I didn't), it will likely be a whole helluva lot easier to put the rivet in than the roll pin.

Most of the time the pin breaks because it has seized to the roller from lack of lubrication. This twists the pin and it fails.

Dave

Back