1966 Chrysler 300 trunk floor extensions

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I had a look in the corners of the trunk today and noted that the corners have both got plates over the top of the extensions. Is this factory or did someone plate these areas before and do a rough job of it ?

trunk floor extensions.jpg
trunk floor extensions1.jpg

Looks like an after job. I'm just going through dealing with the trunk floor and extensions on my 66 Monaco (supposed to be the same floor and trunk pan), and I've dismantled 3 for parts, and there's definitely not been anything like that which I've seen.

However, I'm talking Monaco and you're talking 300, so perhaps there's differences at the trunk finish panel end that I'm not familiar with.

As far as I know, those seams should run right to the end past the uprights... here's a pic from my rust free parts car of the both sides:

IMG_0508_resized.JPG
4 door rear clip drive side trunk pan and extension.JPG

Looks like an after job. I'm just going through dealing with the trunk floor and extensions on my 66 Monaco (supposed to be the same floor and trunk pan), and I've dismantled 3 for parts, and there's definitely not been anything like that which I've seen.

However, I'm talking Monaco and you're talking 300, so perhaps there's differences at the trunk finish panel end that I'm not familiar with.

As far as I know, those seams should run right to the end past the uprights... here's a pic from my rust free parts car of the both sides:

View attachment 139673 View attachment 139676
That is what I was expecting to see, but I looked more closely at the ones in this car and noted there are spotwelds around the edge, something a back yarder wouldn't do. Curious.

True, curious. A competant body shop might have a spot welder and could have effected a repair like that... the dimples look right too.

While it looks good it doesn't look quite factory.

ross got it l think....my metal guy added dimples back in areas that are sealed and unseen...were some real body guys out there at one time....

I would go take a peek at mine and give you a honest answer, but if you saw my car now, you'd say don't worry about it. I got a ton of stuff on the trunk as well a trunk full of stuff, it'd be to much of a PITA.

My 67 Newport. Plates. But done much neater than the previously shown. Tuesday car?

PicsArt_08-25-12.25.58.jpg

Last edited:
ross got it l think....my metal guy added dimples back in areas that are sealed and unseen...were some real body guys out there at one time....
I think the plates are factory based on photos of the '66 300 that I used to own.
View attachment 139743 View attachment 139744
Seeing you have the same plates in that area tends to tell me that it is a factory setup, also the telltale clues make me tend to believe so as well, the ribs in the metal of the trunk extensions line up and finish in line with the plate that has been added.

Dunno if it helps but here is my 66-300 CDN version you will have to zoom in on it
IMG_4069.JPG

The factory slapped on a ton of sealer goop around this area. Sometimes so much so that the plate disappeared.

Back