1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Oh-kaaaay.
It would appear I have a mix of early and late water pumps.
The 318 poly is long gone, replaced with a slightly later LA318.
It's got the water pump on it that exits downward to the lower passenger side, which is exactly where my lower radiator hose spigot isn't.
Looking on the Internet it would seem as though I need the earlier water pump that exits on the driver's side.
pump.jpg

The engine block castings for the poly and LA are the same for water pumps? Otherwise I'm going to have to Heath Robinson some nonsense pipework from one side to the other and that's gonna suck.

Phil

If a suitable water pump housing can't be found, you might be able to have the radiator's lower tank modified - if there's a suitable flat area on the lower tank, a good rad shop can remove the lower neck from its current place and close the hole with brass sheet, and put the neck in the "correct" location for your water pump.

I did this with the top tank rad hose location many years ago - there was a suitable flat area on the tank to move the neck to.

Not sure if the lower tank can have a similar job done, but it's worth a look.

AutoZone list the driver's side exit water pump for $45 so that's not bad. Cheaper than having the radiator modified, particularly around here. The only radiator shop close by is run by a guy who thinks he's Midas and evening he touches is worth $800.

I'm ok having a hotchpotch system so long as I know what parts are from what!

Looks like the easiest solution may actually be a different radiator.

20230218_142247.jpg

Shined up the chrome this afternoon, looks a bit more presentable now.

Obtained a free battery. It's not for cars and it's old and janky but it works well enough.
20230225_125537.jpg

Cobbled together the main coolant hoses. Might adjust them a little but they work.
20230225_152311.jpg

Bypass hose on order. Need to get intake manifold gaskets.
How does the heater pipework plumb in?

Phil

Obtained a free battery. It's not for cars and it's old and janky but it works well enough.
View attachment 583941
Cobbled together the main coolant hoses. Might adjust them a little but they work.
View attachment 583942
Bypass hose on order. Need to get intake manifold gaskets.
How does the heater pipework plumb in?

Phil
Here are a couple of pics showing my heater hoses.

5BBF6E07-30A7-4E8C-B3D8-39BECB20EFA9.jpeg

6424C6DD-0761-49D7-84CA-264C8E3746CE.jpeg

Post #270 Shows the nipples for the heater. One on the water pump, next to the bypass connection, the other standing up beside the thermostat housing.
Your pulley problem is probably due to the mis match of the newer water pump and the older crank pulley. Try mocking up the a/c compressor, alternator and ps pump. After all they all need to work together. Then someone will be able to offer some suggestions.

Post #270 Shows the nipples for the heater. One on the water pump, next to the bypass connection, the other standing up beside the thermostat housing.
Your pulley problem is probably due to the mis match of the newer water pump and the older crank pulley. Try mocking up the a/c compressor, alternator and ps pump. After all they all need to work together. Then someone will be able to offer some suggestions.
I only have a ps pump and alternator. Never got the aircon compressor.
What's likely to happen here is I'll get me an aftermarket aircon system and fit it up in place.

I'll dig the ps pump and alternator out and mock them up in place and see what we get.

The 318 poly is long gone, this is a later LA318 from (I think) a '68 car. I'm guessing the earlier pump is set higher up
I also have a pump for a 440 in my box. No idea why, I sadly appear to be missing the rest of the 440. That would've been nice to have had.

This end of the heater pipework is what's in question. Looking at it, engine to valve, valve to heater, to return?

20230228_062916.jpg

If I recall correctly, the passenger side hose connections as you've marked them are backwards. The LOWER hose connection goes over to the hose connection closest to the passenger side of the two nearer the center of the firewall.

Clear as mud? Lol...

If I recall correctly, the passenger side hose connections as you've marked them are backwards. The LOWER hose connection goes over to the hose connection closest to the passenger side of the two nearer the center of the firewall.

Clear as mud? Lol...
I can never remember which side of those valves is meant to have pressure on.

Right now, that's how my heater hose is gonna be.
20230228_164435.jpg

Turns out the bypass hose I bought was wrong; opted to hack a 90° elbow to work, which has proven adequate.

Back