1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

One of those questions that gets asked.

What does it take to put a big block engine into one of these?

Different engine mounts, is the transmission the same (ie does this 727 bolt up?)

Just thinking for down the road...

20230317_103811.jpg

Well.

Help. Me. Understand.

I now have pulleys that  fit, but nothing lines up.

All I can suggest is that you need to get the entire pulley setup from a car with the same engine and options - LA small block with power steering.

Crank, alternator brackets, power steering, water pump with fan spacer. EVERYTHING, ALL FROM THE SAME CAR.

You're dealing with mismatching from different years and options. You're going down the rabbit hole, and you may never surface.

Get thee to a wrecker with a 68 small block c with those options.

Yeah, that's where I need to be but nowhere around here has anything old and Mopar in, and all the online houses want to sell 'em piecemeal.
By the time I've bought a pulley set I might as well buy a good used engine in its entirety, all the matching pulleys I found are close to 30% the total cost of a new block.
Given that this one is .. not particularly fresh, I may just shelf this for now and save up.

I'm kinda at the point where I don't think I want to dump any more money into this engine- it's not great and I was only assembling it so it was easier to move the car about, and possibly as a road going engine for a short time.
I may renege on that and find a workable water pump pulley but I think I'm just gonna save up to put a boat anchor into it for giggles.

Phil

So, you now have pulleys that do not interfere with each other. If you can align the four pulleys, you can be "in business". Looking at the photos, I cannot give exact suggestions, but here goes some home brew engineering!
Your WP pulley could be aligned by using a shim or shims between the hub and the pulley to move it out to align with the next groove in the crank pulley. Then the alternator pulley can be aligned by using the necessary sleeves on the necessary length bolt. Those sleeves can be made from 3/8" black iron pipe. The PS pump can probably be aligned in a similar manner.
I have watched your ability in your posts and with your obvious talent, I think ti would be a shame to allow this to derail the project. Food for thought at least. Lindsay

It shan't derail the project. I have plenty to do that I'm ignoring (see: rust repair). The alternator will shim up fine. I have a feeling the other PS pump will line up with one groove.
This engine was only ever intended to be a cheap stopgap after I saw the condition of the bores.

Phil

Okay, so.

The other PS pump that doesn't fit this bracket lines up with the water pump pulley.

This PS pump lines up with the crank pulley.

This alternator lines up with this crank pulley.

So, last incorrect portion is the water pump pulley. could just shim this one out so alternator is its own belt from the inner crank groove and the water pump and PS pump share the middle groove.

Last edited:
20230320_185415.jpg

Not great, that's gone through to the coat underneath which is a completely different shade of mauve. I don't think the guy mixed the paint before spraying it.

That tire has dry-rotted through. I need to replace it and then rewire the machine. Only cost $50 so I'm not complaining

Gee, that paint was put on badly.
20230321_091445.jpg

Decided to see if it would hold a gloss, makes the car look a little more cared for.
20230321_101917.jpg

It's not one single, solid color though. Someone didn't know how to paint metallic paint.

If you machine polish metalic single stage paint you will get ghosting or tiger stripping.
My thoughts on the engine, you could get a 5.9 magnum and swap your small block front pulley and pump system onto it.

If you machine polish metalic single stage paint you will get ghosting or tiger stripping.
[/URL][/URL]
My thoughts on the engine, you could get a 5.9 magnum and swap your small block front pulley and pump system onto it.
This had all manner of artifacts in and had the texture of a golf ball.
20230321_163540.jpg

Anything is better than it was.

5.9 Magnum had crossed my mind, yeah. It's still not off the options list.

Phil

Last edited:
Back