1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Check the local parts yards for a magnum from a truck, they can be had for cheap, or craigslist.

20230321_163615.jpg

It's still pretty terrible but at least there's a reflection in the hood now.

Uuugh. That's a  great design.

Guess my windshield is coming out, then.

Also, are B-body front floor patch panels about the same size to use to patch in these? I don't find anybody making C-body floor repair sections.
Unfortunately, yes. The screws at the front edge are vertical.

There's even less space than that. I don't think there's even enough space for the screws to come out before they collide with the glass.

You may be able to use a thin profile box wrench with a Phillips bit to get the screws out without removing the glass.

Tedious though. Plus you will have to pull up that plastic cover strip as well, and it comes off best going up, not sideways.

Ultimately the glass needs to come out, because the seal is bad and I'm sure there's some rust in the screen surround based upon how much water has leaked in.

The dash needs to come out to repair the scuttle where the dirt held water and made some pinholes.

So, it can eventually all come out

Ultimately the glass needs to come out, because the seal is bad and I'm sure there's some rust in the screen surround based upon how much water has leaked in.

The dash needs to come out to repair the scuttle where the dirt held water and made some pinholes.

So, it can eventually all come out
From past experience I can verify it needs to come out. Take caution when you remove the trim as it’s easily damaged and make sure you save the small clips that hold the trim in place.

From past experience I can verify it needs to come out. Take caution when you remove the trim as it’s easily damaged and make sure you save the small clips that hold the trim in place.
Yeah, I had that fight with the rear window trim, also.

Luckily that all came out but it's definitely geared towards rapid assembly at the factory and less so towards aftermarket repair...

I hate sanding.
20230322_161648.jpg

Was beginning to lose the will to live, sanding this paint sucks- by the time you smooth out the orange peel, you've taken all the paint off.
20230322_174153.jpg

All scratches and hazy. Meh.
20230322_175235.jpg

Still, looks better from the street.

20230325_100600.jpg

Made up ⅝" with some washers and a ½" spacer. Belt now rides and doesn't try to fly off.

Also it'll idle until it's warm. It goes backwards and forwards too, which is a neat party trick.

Had a dig in boxes today and found that I do indeed have the correct power steering pressure hose; also discovered that someone has broken and lost the innards and one end of the power steering pressure regulator.
I've placed an offer on one on eBay so if that's accepted I'll need some O-rings to seal it to the body. Luckily the spring and everything appears to still be there.
It'll be interesting to see a) how badly the thing leaks and b) if it even works at all.

Back