1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

I already to have misplaced the new voltage regulator for my alternator.
I'm trying to remember if I have any more boxes of parts for the Fury anywhere.

I don't like this rearrangement/losing stuff lark. It's highly dissatisfactory.

Phil

Okay. Turns out I was remembering a voltage regulator for a different car.

Anybody had good or bad experience with any particular brands of electronic regulators? I have electronic ignition so the old points-type regulator is not an option.

Phil

After research, I have purchased a regulator, suited to this task. Hopefully it'll be here Thursday. Also the wiring plug for it and a new ignition switch (sans keys or barrel).
20230328_100851.jpg

Found the side trim. Only have one (another "why?" moment).

Phil

Power steering regulator arrived; hydraulic fitting was damaged in transit and is also the wrong size for the hose I have (3/8" vs 1/4"). Trying to find a way to make that work.
Alternator regulator and pigtail is here so I can play about with finding a place to mount that at the weekend, get it wired up and see if it'll charge.

Lot going on in parallel here right now.

Threw some wires at the car at lunch time.
20230331_135441.jpg

Where would the original regulator have been fitted? I'm sure not on the slam panel here.
20230331_135314.jpg

Correct place or not it does prove the principle though. That'll work.

20230331_081404.jpg

Pump spat that out. I'm going to flush it through a bit more.

Phil

Ended up accidentally flushing it through into the driveway. That was great.

Need some new o-rings. Found a connector that's halfway right.

Phil

Ended up accidentally flushing it through into the driveway. That was great.

Need some new o-rings. Found a connector that's halfway right.

Phil
My voltage regulator on my '66 is over by the bulkhead connector. Not sure if that is what you are asking about or not . . .

On a side note, was there ever a fluid cooler for the power steering, or does the pump just circulate directly to and from the steering box?

Phil

On a side note, was there ever a fluid cooler for the power steering, or does the pump just circulate directly to and from the steering box?

Phil
I don't believe there was on '66... I've seen one on a later model that was literally just the metal line that went through the radiator support, mounted to the front side of the radiator and had some fins on it and then went back to the pump. Just a real long tube with fins, no square/rectangular section at all. Can't remember what year it was from . . .

I don't believe there was on '66... I've seen one on a later model that was literally just the metal line that went through the radiator support, mounted to the front side of the radiator and had some fins on it and then went back to the pump. Just a real long tube with fins, no square/rectangular section at all. Can't remember what year it was from . . .
That's good- was just curious because the pressure line seems a touch long for just going to and from.

Power steering regulator arrived; hydraulic fitting was damaged in transit and is also the wrong size for the hose I have (3/8" vs 1/4"). Trying to find a way to make that work.
Alternator regulator and pigtail is here so I can play about with finding a place to mount that at the weekend, get it wired up and see if it'll charge.

Lot going on in parallel here right now.
Are you talking about the part on top of the steering gear, with the nipple coming out at about a 45° angle? I have a spare one you can have if you need it.

Are you talking about the part on top of the steering gear, with the nipple coming out at about a 45° angle? I have a spare one you can have if you need it.
Yeah, the pressure regulator. Bought one on eBay.
Need to find a 1/2-20 ring seal to an-3 adapter, seems that's popular for oil pressure gauges on Harley Davidson engines.

With a nearly right fitting, far too much pipe tape and some new o-rings, the pressure regulator is fitted.
20230331_165008.jpg

I've got the correct fitting on order.

But, it works well enough to test. I indeed do have power steering.

Back