1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Engine is dry.
20221111_071928.jpg

Transmission leaks like a sieve.

Looks like it's leaking from the selector shaft, at a guess I've overfilled it? Or is that a common 727 leak point?

Edit: yup, common leak point and apparently the 727 is bad for converter leak down which overfills the pan. Great. Engine and trans out for that task.
Rear end yoke is also trash, so that's gonna be fun to remove...

Last edited:
There is a thread on here about replacing the selector shaft seal with the trans in the car. I replaced the pinion seal on my 8.75 about 30 years ago. Couldn't have been to difficult removing the yoke, as I don't remember the job! FSM will show the proceedure. Lindsay

Collected a seal this morning and made a tool. If it ever stops raining I might get to change it.

20221112_195440.jpg

Last edited:
I just read this whole thread this evening and all I can say is: Wow!!.

Can't wait to see the next installment.

Oh. I do still own a Plymouth.
20230204_134944.jpg

Decided to carry on with the gearbox seals.

My transmission... It was full of mayonnaise and flies.
20230204_151800.jpg

It got cleaned and the dents beaten out of it.
20230204_154439.jpg

I need to drop the valve block and pull the gear selector. The smaller seal on the kickdown arm also needs changing.

Phil

Nice to see it cleaned up! Flies?? Odd...

When you get ready to reinstall that pan, peen the bolt holes outward to help spread the load of the fastener head along the gasket pan rail. I can see that a couple look like they're oh so slightly turned inwards, and may result in gasket leaks.

Yeah, it's got some that are pushed in. I'll push them slightly proud with the end of my ball pein hammer.

The seal feels like it's made from Masonite.

Put the pan on a block of soft wood, and place ball peen hammer's ball against the bolt hole and hit that hammer with another... don't try to hit the hole with the hammer... we all know what will happen... lol.

I think somebody did already. I straightened out the edges and base of the pan this afternoon. It's hit something going down the highway...

Nope, wrong seal

Seems that's listed wrong for the wrong transmission. Was hoping to get it put back together before the bad weather but that's not gonna happen now.

Mail order, the correct part.

Last edited:
I just looked to see where your at in LA and you can't get a whole lot further south in LA then where your at.

That's true! There really isn't a whole lot of land down here, not until you get north of I-10.
20230213_121028.jpg

Thankfully the throttle valve seal I ordered has arrived, so I'll get a replacement C clip for it this afternoon (the one holding it in shattered when I took it off) and get the transmission reassembled.

Phil

Gor the manual shift lever seal out. It was junk.

Carefully wound the new one down with washers and a bolt.

Naturally the back edge caught and it warped into a pretzel.

20230214_164151.jpg

Put the new seal in. Straight this time.

20230214_164406.jpg

Went in okay which is good.
20230214_171859.jpg

Reassembled the rest of the valve block.

That works. We'll see if it leaks in the morning.

Phil

Question:

Does anyone have a spare front pulley set (crank and water pump) they would be willing to sell? I have the wrong pair (looks like maybe the correct water pump but a later 3-belt crank) and I cannot fit them both on and get the pump operational.

Thanks

Phil

Back