1966 Newport 3 on the tree

That's a great car! The three speed on Chryslers is rare indeed, more common on the lower priced Plymouths. I believe the "1" under the "U" on the fender tag notes a ordered car. Power disc conversion is a good modification. Enjoy it!

Hi all! Just wondering how rare is a 1966 Chrysler Newport Convertible with 3 on the tree. I purchased this car from a used car lot in Youngstown, OH in February 2021 and that's the reason I bought it because of the perceived rarity. Very low on options. I have a copy of the original window sticker which shows the few options are power steering, padded sun visors, retractable seat belts, deluxe wheel covers and the Golden Tone AM radio. Standard 383 2-bbl and a 3.23 geared 8-3/4 rear end. It seems all original except for a repaint. Vinyl seats and crank windows. No air. Showed 43,000 on the ODO when I bought it, about to turn 45,000 now. Don't know the history, could be 145,000 but doesn't seem likely. Even though it's an Ohio car, it has no rust. Any production numbers out there?

View attachment 459930
I am no expert, but I can tell you I had been searching for my 66 for a couple of years and honestly I do not ever recall seeing a 3 on the tree on ANY Newports.

I am no expert, but I can tell you I had been searching for my 66 for a couple of years and honestly I do not ever recall seeing a 3 on the tree on ANY Newports.
Even most cheapskates upgraded to the 727 auto, or possibly the dealers refused to sell them that way. My Grandad got the 727, but he tried to order his 66 Windsor without power steering nor power brakes. Even though they were both options, the dealer refused to sell it to him. He said something to the effect of, "This is not a Plymouth. You'll have to order one or the other." He chose power steering.

Those are aftermarket rims designed for disc brakes. I have the original 14" steelies with hubcaps. Not designed to clear the calipers. I guess since drums turn with the rims they never had to worry about clearance.
If it were me, I'd switch to a 15" wheel, which I did with the '62 New Yorker I had. Much better than using those unsafe things.

Don't know about the '66 cars, but I've seen a number of Newport's that way over the years, even a '70.

Even most cheapskates upgraded to the 727 auto, or possibly the dealers refused to sell them that way. My Grandad got the 727, but he tried to order his 66 Windsor without power steering nor power brakes. Even though they were both options, the dealer refused to sell it to him. He said something to the effect of, "This is not a Plymouth. You'll have to order one or the other." He chose power steering.
Dealers were afraid the buyer would back out, then they'd be stuck with a car they figured they couldn't sell.

When the K Car first came out, they were advertised as being affordable by offering a 4-speed manual. I went to Swift Dodge in Sacramento to see a few. They had one that was manual; all the others were automatics. The salesman told me two things: 1) Manuals don't sell 2) They make more money on fully loaded cars.

I guess it's always been that way.

What a beauty, and a rare find. Although the original color was green, I think the red is a much better choice. It IS a convertible, after all.

Welcome to the 3-speed club. I have the HT version but with fewer options. Read my posts on what a base Chrysler looks like. That is a very nice car. There is a baby blue vert out there somewhere with a 3 speed also.

Back