1966 Polara 500 Ragtop

Member's Projects & Restorations

1. Dsertdog

Dsertdog Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note. FCBO Gold Member

@RagTop66 It's pretty much covered in post 20 of this thread.

The booster is in. It was quite the battle but I persevered...along with the stoplight switch.

As you'll notice, the original switch was replaced by hacking up the bracket to fit an aftermarket switch. Less than stellar results, no doubt the work of of Larry, Moe, and Curly.

000_0093[1].JPG

Booster...
    000_0094[1].JPG

Bracket for the proportioning valve mocked up

000_0095[1].JPG

Miz Ruby was a bit Ms. Rue today, she beat me up pretty good.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Dsertdog

All in all, a productive weekend!
    IMG_20200816_161446[1].jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dsertdog

Brake lines are finished and the master cylinder has been bench bled.
    I'm waiting for the help to come by and get this the rest of the system bled.
    I sure hope the Chinesium casting isn't porous.

000_0096[1].JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. RagTop66

RagTop66 Member

Bit of a novice here. What is the proportioning valve for? I have a block on my car where the lines run into before going to the wheel cylinders.

5. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

You need to have a proportioning valve to get the correct pressure to the front and rear wheels. Our '66 cars had a simple distribution block since all wheels are in the same circuit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Dsertdog

It could be argued, for the sake of simplicity, that the proportioning valve is unnecessary. One such thread covers this... A Poor Man's Master Cylinder Upgrade.
    However, because of the single distribution block flaw of locking all 4 brakes equally and the possibility of the vehicle "swapping ends" on certain surfaces when that happens, I installed the valve to cut some of the pressure off.
    The valve will probably work better as the braking system itself is upgraded. Future plans include 11x2.5 rear brakes, asbestos (fronts first) shoes all around, and perhaps converting to front disc brakes from a '73 and up C body. The car goes just fine....well it could be just a bit quicker...but the brakes left much to be desired.
    The single pot master cylinder is a death trap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rags

rags Senior Member

the conversion in my '65. proportioning valve from an '85 f350. brakes 004.JPG

brakes 002.JPG

8. Dsertdog

I believe the brake project is finished...but not without it's pitfalls.
    Last week I was ready to sell the bitch. Miz Ruby/Rue caused me to lose my cool.
    The original rear brake line had a bit of a weep where it screwed into the prop valve. I couldn't make it stop. I lost sleep...but cooler heads prevailed and convinced me to try a couple of things.
    This included slightly re bending the line, applying a couple of drops of thread sealant to the tube nut threads, and tightening the nut with a crows foot line wrench, to get just a wee bit more torque.
    It seems to have worked. The line is dry and the master cylinder hasn't lost fluid.
    How does the car stop? Amazing! At low speeds it is quick and even... without adjusting the proportioning valve I haven't locked the rears. It just stops...like right now! It instills confidence even as the skeptic in me wonders what might go wrong.
    For now, it will /can be driven again. I do want to r&r the front brake hoses. They are dry and a bit stiff.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Dsertdog

Not a lot of work to post.
    I've driving the car a bunch and with the top down.
    Last night I drove it over to Sapulpa Oklahoma for the pre car show cruise on rt66 Had a great time! Top down all the way through Tulsa on the interstate with a light mist to boot!
    IMG_20200911_193931[1].jpg
    The misty crap ended and we had a great time. We didn't stay parked for long. Made several passes on the cruise route through town and Ms. Rue even spun some one wheel peel for the crowd!
    IMG_20200911_194028[1].jpg

• Like Like x 3