1966 Polara 500 Ragtop

Went to a cruise Saturday. A couple people were shooting photos and we got caught.
Peoria cruise .jpg

60 lbs in the air shocks and she's still in the weeds

[QUOTE="Dsertdog,bluefury361[/USER] If it were your car, would you fix the the RV2 or go with a newer Sanden propelled system like TXDon did in his '66 wagon?[/QUOTE]

somehow I missed this post. Better late then not at all.
I used a Sanden compressor on my 69 Suburban factory air car and it worked excellent. I bought it as a kit from Classic air, I think. Came with the conversion brackets, new hoses, evaporator valve and bolted right in. It ran smoother and quiter than the OEM V unit. I loved it.

Last edited:
You and the Tulsa Mopar guys need to bring your cars down to OKC on June 13th for the COMA Mopar Cruise and Show. Details at:

www.okcmopars.com.

We are meeting at Pop's in Arcadia at 8am on the 13th.

I've been trying to talk the wife into bringing the car at least to Pops. Not a lot of enthusiasm at this point.
Frank Lipinsic and another fellow from COMA usually blanket our Farcebook Mopar groups page

[QUOTE="Dsertdog,bluefury361[/USER] If it were your car, would you fix the the RV2 or go with a newer Sanden propelled system like TXDon did in his '66 wagon?

somehow I missed this post. Better late then not at all.
I used a Sanden compressor on my 69 Suburban factory air car and it worked excellent. I bought it as a kit from Classic air, I think. Came with the conversion brackets, new hoses, evaporator valve and bolted right in. It ran smoother and quiter than the OEM V unit. I loved it.
[/QUOTE]

I believe I'll need the shorty one to clear the air cleaner. Other than that, it sounds like the way to go.

Today I tested my ignition advance, and found it lacking in mechanical advance.

I removed all the A/C lines and crap in preparation for replacing it all with classic air components. What little freon was left drained out in about 5 seconds. Absolutely no charge left in the system before I pushed the valve.

Today I tested my ignition advance, and found it lacking in mechanical advance.

I removed all the A/C lines and crap in preparation for replacing it all with classic air components. What little freon was left drained out in about 5 seconds. Absolutely no charge left in the system before I pushed the valve.

Sounds like the butterfly weights are gummed up...

I got my sun visors back today from the upholstery shop.

All I can say is that the aren't falling apart but the job wasn't done very well. At least they don't look like they're falling apart. He estimated 40 bucks but charged me 20.

With the storms somewhat abated and the humidity turned up, I was allowed to bring Miz Ruby home and work on her.
Recently I removed most of the A/C plumbing, but I was able to get serious.
So the A/c compressor went bye-bye and I'm fabricating a delete pulley bracket. This allows me, as time allows, to replace the thermostat and remove and repaint the intake manifold
I used one of the original compressor brackets, turning it around mounting it outside the steering pump bracket and made a 2nd bracket to stiffen things up.
Pics are of the mockup, then the bracket in place.

000_0064[1].JPG

000_0065[1].JPG

Tomorrow I'll fabricate a a spacer and get a proper bolt and such.

For the "4bbl deal", might need to look at the sales brochure or Dealer Order Guides in the Library at www.hamtramck-historical.com for verification. Maybe even some of the "Other" items of factory letters to dealers advising standard equipment changes?

Remember that the first two years of Cordobas had the 400-4bbl (single exhaust) as stated standard equipment, with the 360 and 318 2bbls as 'no charge options".

I concur about it having the factory 4bbl 383.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
I owned a 66 Dodge Polara 500 convertible 4 speed. I bought it from the original owner. I was always confused in that it was a G code 383 4bbl with a Single exhaust!
Found out few months ago that there were only 2 66 Polara 500 convert 4 speeds made and Both were bought from the same dealer in Corydon, Ind named Gerden's.
Weird, both were bought by the same person! One was white, the other was black. I owned the black one.

I owned a 66 Dodge Polara 500 convertible 4 speed. I bought it from the original owner. I was always confused in that it was a G code 383 4bbl with a Single exhaust!
Found out few months ago that there were only 2 66 Polara 500 convert 4 speeds made and Both were bought from the same dealer in Corydon, Ind named Gerden's.
Weird, both were bought by the same person! One was white, the other was black. I owned the black one.
Where do you come across the production numbers?

That number seems a bit low. I've seen at least 2 4spd converts from google images. They were not black or white!

Doesn't surprise me that 383 4bbl 4 spd cars had single exhaust. It was a very austere move by Dodge. Same with the single snorkel air cleaner. C bodies were not considered muscle cars nor do they fit the definition. They were sporty full size coupes, built for the open road.

The secret is not the door tag. 2 bbl engines also used the G code. Your fender tag gives you the correct engine, that number being 62 for the 4bbl.

A 440 or 426 wedge car, with a 4 speed...that would be a very low production car. It would have duals.

Might we forget about "muscle cars" for a while and look at a few other things?

Looking at the 383 4bbl Chryslers in, say, 1967 (of which I own one, which was unmolested when I got it in 1981), the ONLY dual exhausts were on the 440HP option cars and maybe the station wagon 440 4bbls. YET . . . the same engine in a Dodge or Plymouth would have had a factory dual exhaust. ALL with the same 325 horsepower factory power rating. Back when engine power ratings were with no under car exhaust system attached, but an exhaust system for the dyno cell itself instead.

The 1965 Chrysler 300 had a 383 4bbl as standard equipment, but as it still had the cam specs from or very similar to the original B 350 2x4bbl from the 1958 Plymouth Fury (252/252), it had 315 horsepower and a factory single exhaust. Power increased with the later "4bbl cam" of 256/260 in '66.

So, my theory is that the same 4bbl B-engine in a Chrysler would have had a single exhaust prior to the 1968 model year, but a similar Plymouth or Dodge might have had a factory dual exhaust as THEY might be more prone to be ordered as an upgrade engine for police vehicles. Yet teh RB 4bbl HP engines would have had factory duals as a matter of course in any C-body. Limiting the discussion to C Bodies only, as similar B-bodies might have had dual exhausts anyway.

In some of those earlier 4bbl engines, Chrysler had what I term "incognito open element" air cleaners. Similar in format to the 1968 Road Runner 383 air cleaners. With about an inch or more of open air space between the outer diameter of the air cleaner top and the air cleaner's base, while many times using the same air cleaner element. Same as taking a '68 RR 383 air cleaner base and using it under a normal snorkel top on a 1968 carb (larger air cleaner mounting ring).

There MIGHT have been some dual snorkel factory air cleaners before this, but it came into prominence on the 440HP GTX motor in 1967. As I recall. Along with the factory HP exhaust manifolds. Although a really nice set of HP manifolds appeared in the earlier 1960s on the 413 drag race cars (but would also fit 383s), although it was reputed that those particular exhaust manifolds would interfere with the power brake boosters' placement. Obviously a hint of what was to come later?

MUCH of what came after the 1965 model year kind of tended to be accelerated by the appearance of the original "Street HEMI" B-bodies. Especially in the area of mufflers. Prior to that, the "hot rod" muffler was the Corvair turbo muffler (which is probably where the term "turbo muffler" came from) with its round case shape. The Street Hemi muffler looked like a normal muffler, but with bigger inlet/outlet pipes, a shorter case length, and very low restriction and general OEM quietness. Before that, the top RB engine option was the 426W wedge engine, with only 5 more horsepower than the similar 413HP engine. Performance figures were lackluster, at best, by comparison. As it was, at that time, the "ultimate" RB engine for the masses, many put it on hallowed ground, by observation. Especially with a 4-speed.

It was always a mystery why my calculations indicated (from magazine road test data covering MANY years), why the 413s seemed "weak" for their power rating, as to how much power was at the rear wheels to move the car. In the middle 1990s, the dealership-sponser of our Mopar club had accumulated a warehouse full of obsolete parts from other dealers, to re-sale for them at reduced prices. In that bunch of parts, I found a '65 B/RB exhaust manifold. I was amazed at how small the exit hole was! Not much bigger than that of a Chevy 350 exhaust manifold, in diameter on a purely "log" manifold. "No wonder!", I thought. Newer designs in '66 with the 440 motor, which were still "log" manifolds, but with larger cross-sections and such. That's why a 440 and 413 had such different actual "on-the-road" performance figures from the magazines, obviously.

1965 was the FIRST model year of the new C-body platform with a WIDE engine compartment, but as the 440 was then-known to be coming in '66, no effort to change the 413 exhaust manifolds to something better. Especially as to do so could mean that the upcoming 440 might not receive the accolades it was due when it appeared. So the orig 440 had 350 horsepower ratings, right between the 340 and 360 horsepower ratings of the single and dual exhaust 413s, respectively. With the 440TNT having the new 256/260 "4bbl cam", later aka "Standard Cam", with a dual snorkel air cleaner and dual exhausts, at 365 horsepower (a bit less in the '66 C-body wagons?)

Chrysler Corp was in the "muscle car" business long before GM or Ford. Back when "muscle" meant stronger and more durable. Which is why Chrysler Corp produced the premier taxi cabs and later police vehicles. When Plymouth got its first modern V-8 in '55, its prior taxi reputation for durability was elevated even more. Interesting thing is that although the Flathead Ford was allegedly the "hot performer", the flathead 6-cyl in Plymouths was dang close to the Ford's power output, as was the Chevy 6-cyl . . . in OEM factory configuration.

Remember, too, that in those prior times, the "luxury" cars had the biggest engines. Which is why those engines were transplanted into many lesser Fords and other "hot rods" of those eras.

Back to the orig exhasut system issue . . . when I got my '67 Newport 383 4bbl in 1981, I noticed the single exhaust system and everything under it looked as factory as it could be (except for a replacement muffler). I pulled out my '67 Chrysler sales brochure and it mentioned the "383 4bbl single exhaust" engine as optional in Newports, standard on 300s. Still 325 horsepower, as were the dual exhaust 383/325 engines in Plymouth Fury models. In some respects, my Newport was optioned as an incognito 300. 383 4bbl, bucket seat interior (same seat patterns as the 300, but with Newport door and instrument panel trim). Center seat cushion rather than a console.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

@CBODY67 ....

I was hoping you'd add to the production figure discussion we were having. Still... it was an informative reading and I respect your passion, even if it was a bit shall we say..."exhausting"? :poke:

My definition of a muscle car varies. What you consider muscle I consider reliability...

That aside, I believe there were more than 2 383 4 speed Polara 500 convertibles built in 1966. It may be nearly impossible to figure since the information was lost in a fire.
However Canadian production was around 300 units, so I'm fairly certain that US production would be similar. Figure about 10% were 383 4 speeds...with single exhausts and single snorkel air cleaners.
And with that, I will continue the build. I'd be happy to discuss the topics mentioned elsewhere.:soapbox:

That number seems a bit low. I've seen at least 2 4spd converts from google images. They were not black or white!

Doesn't surprise me that 383 4bbl 4 spd cars had single exhaust. It was a very austere move by Dodge. Same with the single snorkel air cleaner. C bodies were not considered muscle cars nor do they fit the definition. They were sporty full size coupes, built for the open road.

The secret is not the door tag. 2 bbl engines also used the G code. Your fender tag gives you the correct engine, that number being 62 for the 4bbl.

A 440 or 426 wedge car, with a 4 speed...that would be a very low production car. It would have duals.
not 4 speed convertibles! maybe hardtops. original sales info from original boxes of dealer
@CBODY67 ....

I was hoping you'd add to the production figure discussion we were having. Still... it was an informative reading and I respect your passion, even if it was a bit shall we say..."exhausting"? :poke:

My definition of a muscle car varies. What you consider muscle I consider reliability...

That aside, I believe there were more than 2 383 4 speed Polara 500 convertibles built in 1966. It may be nearly impossible to figure since the information was lost in a fire.
However Canadian production was around 300 units, so I'm fairly certain that US production would be similar. Figure about 10% were 383 4 speeds...with single exhausts and single snorkel air cleaners.
And with that, I will continue the build. I'd be happy to discuss the topics mentioned elsewhere.:soapbox:

@CBODY67 ....

I owned the black one.

Mr. Denkler.... @Tom Denkler

I'm going to be as polite as possible and ask you to step off this subject on my build thread. Especially since you insinuated I'm a liar. I know what I saw.

Please start a new thread if you want to debate production numbers. I'm sure you'll get a better audience.

I also want you to understand, after reading the thread you listed...that the two 4 speed drop tops listed are not the total production of 383 4 speed cars....merely 2 cars sold at the same dealer in Indiana. The OP even states that in his first post. His post has nothing to do with total production. He never states that.

Back