1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

I went and looked at the car to see how it is and what it needs, and I got the rear seat back off to pull out the broadcast sheet, and sure enough it was there! Fragile little sucker, I immediately put it in a magazine to protect it, the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated. :D

You found the build sheet? That's so cool, really like the car and it's stance, eager to check it over at Volo!

Great job on scoring the build sheet
First one I've pulled myself!

IMG_20180225_163816.jpg

Oh my. . . Fortunately there are a lotta heads like that laying around. I think that is a '516' head? I hope there aren't other bolts on the engine that are buggered up too.
Me too. I have a stash I hope will yeild something. Guess I'm buying a gasket set.

I also discovered that car had a replacement three row 26" radiator, in place of th original 22" unit. Glad I didn't buy a shroud for the 22"!

IMG_20180412_125812.jpg

IMG_20180412_141006.jpg

Awesome work! Too bad I haven't had an A/C equipped parts car with the larger opening.

Did a decode of yer fender tag:

Production date December 28, 1965
Shipping order 11073
Car line DODGE Polara/Monaco
Price class Low
Body type 2 door hardtop
Trim Grade Low [32L]
Seat type Bucket vinyl [335]
Trim color Black [34X]
Paint 1 Bronze metallic [27Y]
Paint 2 Bronze metallic [28Y]
Paint scheme Mono tone paint [291]
Upper door frame paint (UNKNOWN)
Engine 383 4bbl HP 8cyl 325hp B [376/382]
Transmission Transmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
Radio Radio-AM Music Master/economy 2 W [421]
Bucket seat accessories Carpets [485]
Front bucket seats Bucket seats [564]
Mirrors Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
-OR- Moulding-bumper reveal [546]

[Joseph Gabrey, DodgeCharger.org

Here’s a good example of why one should be cautious about on line decoders....trust, but verify.

a/5 decodes as 485 CARPETS but if you look at a ‘66 BS, like the one from this car, there is no heading for code 485. Tags, generally, show driveline, paint, trim and what holes need to be present or punched in the BIW. Carpets do not fall under this guideline.

There is no appropriate or associated code “5” on the BS that should go in that tag position for this car. There are coding nuances in tags. The a/5 code likely indicates the console. This happens in other years. Why? Research continues.

Cool car. Carry on.....

Here’s a good example of why one should be cautious about on line decoders....trust, but verify.

a/5 decodes as 485 CARPETS but if you look at a ‘66 BS, like the one from this car, there is no heading for code 485. Tags, generally, show driveline, paint, trim and what holes need to be present or punched in the BIW. Carpets do not fall under this guideline.

There is no appropriate or associated code “5” on the BS that should go in that tag position for this car. There are coding nuances in tags. The a/5 code likely indicates the console. This happens in other years. Why? Research continues.

Cool car. Carry on.....
I'm learning that as well, thanks to you! I'll chat with you about codes in June.

I'm learning that as well, thanks to you! I'll chat with you about codes in June.

Not going to make MN this year. I’m going to the Reitz auction in SD the next week. But we can always chat. Send me a pm if you want to.

Back