1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

@LocuMob

Just so you know, the Duplicolor I used was indeed 1619 Chrysler Green. Not that you care as you're just trying to match what's there, but I thought I'd let you know!
I appreciate that, and I knew what you meant. Although I had forgotten it was a different color pre 1969. If the engine was out, I'd be grabbing some 1619 for sure.

Looks good but doesn't fit with the Team G intake. That'll be fixed soon.

IMG_20180504_183036.jpg

Thanks @Polara_500.

Got to 3 of 4 wheels, yeah half assed, but I don't have the correct amount of lug nuts so I did t bother with one wheel. I'll deal with it later. Anywho, the brakes look to have been replaced sometime and not used much, if at all. They were adjusted nicely and looked good with clean parts.

IMG_20180504_130918.jpg

IMG_20180504_130957.jpg

IMG_20180504_191605.jpg

IMG_20180504_191610.jpg

IMG_20180504_193346.jpg

IMG_20180504_194400.jpg

I think I'll wait til I get it home, hopefully next week, to swap the master cylinder as the brakes seem solid. Exhaust is ordered and should be here in five days. Heads will be swapped by then. I might get a new gas tank as the current one looks a little funky. I'll take a better look tomorrow.

Got to 3 of 4 wheels, yeah half assed, but I don't have the correct amount of lug nuts so I did t bother with one wheel. I'll deal with it later. Anywho, the brakes look to have been replaced sometime and not used much, if at all. They were adjusted nicely and looked good with clean parts.

I think I'll wait til I get it home, hopefully next week, to swap the master cylinder as the brakes seem solid. Exhaust is ordered and should be here in five days. Heads will be swapped by then. I might get a new gas tank as the current one looks a little funky. I'll take a better look tomorrow.

I remember back when I was reduced to using a floor jack on dirt... F@#$... I still am. :lol:
img_20180504_130918-jpg.jpg

And your lil greenhouse/ stable is really pissing me off... :mad:, only because I'm jealous. She's coming along nicely Scott :thumbsup:

I remember back when I was reduced to using a floor jack on dirt... F@#$... I still am. :lol:
View attachment 183330
And your lil greenhouse/ stable is really pissing me off... :mad:, only because I'm jealous. She's coming along nicely Scott :thumbsup:
It's at the stepson's place, he's got 10 acres and a couple buildings. I thought it was going to be worse, the straw has kinda sucked, but it was used for animals before he bought the place. I had to push the car out of it's hole so I could jack up the rear. The ground isn't even and it was quite fun, I worked rather quickly and got the back end down right away.

Last edited:
When you gonna get a windshield on that thing?
May 22nd. I have the windshield and gasket, I had to go to the office of the glass company to make sure they scheduled an appointment after not returning my email or phone calls. Gotta love small town businesses! But it is going in. As I told my friend, I might be driving around with a helmet for a few days before the glass is installed, and I'm not kidding.

May 22nd. I have the windshield and gasket, I had to go to the office of the glass company to make sure they scheduled an appointment after not returning my email or phone calls. Gotta love small town businesses! But it is going in. As I told my friend, I might be driving around with a helmet for a few days before the glass is installed, and I'm not kidding.

Hopefully you get some pictures of you in a helmet! :rofl:

Got a little painting done today. Sanded and scrubbed the heads, intake and balancer just as it was getting dark. I put on a coat, and then Jared, my stepson, took over and gave them a couple more coats. Probably going to have to touch them up tomorrow, but they are blue now instead of orange.

IMG_20180506_203553.jpg

We pushed the car outside to pull the straw out of th way and give us a cleaner dirt surface. This space is becoming Jared's shop. He helped out a lot in the tedious sanding and said he enjoyed it. It was nice to work with him and have him helping out, definitely not used to having help, and it was awesome.

IMG_20180506_155547.jpg

We took the grey car out last night for a cruise and he got a chance to drive it and learn how it is to drive. He liked the seats, so maybe they will stay in the car for a little longer! Figured I might as well show him the cars nuances so he doesn't have to figure it out on the fly. He will be getting it when the 500 is on the road.

Swapping heads sometime in the next two days, I'd like to show Jared, but it might not work out. Plus if I can do it tomorrow, I have an extra day, just in case. Looking good so far. On track and maintaining the set course. If the exhaust comes in Thursday as scheduled, I could be driving by the 14th at the earliest.

Who's she?

IMG_20180507_100609.jpg

The Gray car met the Black car. They Gray car met it's new shop and soon to be it's new home. The garage is off to the right, but it's tight, only good for parking.

maxresdefault (3).jpg

Top end swap is done, delayed due to wrong paint color. :BangHead: Didn't check.the color.before laying down the color. Whoops. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Got the De1619 ordered last night and got it this morning. I wasn't able to even get to the car til 1:45 this afternoon, I got to do other things. :wtf: Dropped off the paint and Jared sprayed the parts again. I got there and started taking the intake and heads off. We tore it down and cleaned it up and then I was ony own. I installed the heads and intake, with the help of my phones flashlight. Ill come back in the morning and insta the fuel pump, water pump and thermostat. I still have to clean and paint the brackets for the P/S pump and alternator, but I have couple days to get that done. Clean and paint the pulleys, convert to electronic ignition and put in all the missing bolts. We will see how close to the 14th I get to staring the car. Getting there.
IMG_20180508_170420.jpg

Engine ID pad.

IMG_20180508_170532.jpg

Back to basics. They just slapped a set of heads in this rebuilt bottom end, so I don't feel bad doing the same thing. I know more about the heads I put on than the ones I took off. 1% more comfort.

IMG_20180508_171025.jpg

Heads on.

IMG_20180508_191219.jpg

Rockers and pushrods installed.

IMG_20180508_192604.jpg

Intake insalled.

IMG_20180508_210615.jpg

Looking like an engine.

IMG_20180508_210925.jpg

It's not going to make any vroom vroom noises with the starter sitting on the battery tray:poke:
Always gonna have critics. :stop: :rofl: I was going to put it in but I'll do so when I put the G/T rim on. But thanks for noticing. :thumbsup:

Looks a little clearer in the daylight.

IMG_20180509_164659.jpg

Not a perfect match. I don't know about the block, but the heads were orange under the green paint, and we used the blue as a base, could explain the difference. This place has obviously rubbed off on me, as I painted the aluminum water pump and housing. What has become of me?

IMG_20180509_164715.jpg

IMG_20180509_164759.jpg

I'll get valve covers off the parts car and clean them up, paint them and install them, probably in a week or two, the chrome ones will have to do. Exhaust still on track for install this weekend. Clean and paint pulleys, and finish painting brackets. Still need to hook up a battery and check all electrical goodies.

Last edited:
Back