1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

Hey, at least you're not limited to making all of the vroom noises with your mouth now, you can also occasionally use your foot. :poke:

She moves!

IMG_20180714_190034.jpg

She made the whole 40-50', whatever, out the door. I'm gonna in to let it cool down, then drive it the 5 miles home. Got all my tools loaded, leaving that sweet truck behind.

I got it to idle around 750, has nice throttle response, sounds nice. The brakes are touchy! Gonna have to back them off a bit as they grab right away, and I mean yesterday! No proper taillights, so my turn signals work as hazards, as I jumped the brake switch to have something. Good enough for the small town, alright!

Made it home fine, the temp.gauge was pegged, but the car ran fine. It fires right up, pulls nice. The trans slips. Could be fluid level, as I filled it with what I had. Right now don't care, it's home. I'll let it cool down and see if the thermostat opens, which I doubt it will do. Cheap part, easy repacement, and l'll swap radiators anyway.

IMG_20180714_195216.jpg

IMG_20180714_195227.jpg

IMG_20180714_195239.jpg

IMG_20180714_195254.jpg

Went to the store with Laura real quick, she was comfortable in it, for the limited run we made. I'll wash it tomorrow.

Neat video, your area looks just like the area I grew up in, gravel roads and corn fields...really like your car!

Neat video, your area looks just like the area I grew up in, gravel roads and corn fields...really like your car!
Terrible camera work! I outgha fire that guy... I'm going to be getting at least one, if not three GoPros in the future. Three might be overkill, but I'd like to have extras.

Made it home fine, the temp.gauge was pegged, but the car ran fine. It fires right up, pulls nice. The trans slips. Could be fluid level, as I filled it with what I had. Right now don't care, it's home. I'll let it cool down and see if the thermostat opens, which I doubt it will do. Cheap part, easy repacement, and l'll swap radiators anyway.

View attachment 197890

View attachment 197891

View attachment 197892

View attachment 197893

That's great, man! I love that dash layout.

Went to start the car and this is what I got:

I checked all the wiring from the relay to the starter, and it was good and tight.

I checked that the starter was bolted on tight.

I swapped the relay to rule that out.

I swapped the ignition cylinder to rule that out.

I gave a quick look at the wires under the dash, they all appeared to be in proper condition and not cut, or any unhooked or loose. Appeared to be.

I jumped the large bolt and S5 on the starter relay with my remote, and the engine turns over smoothly, and fired almost immediately, with no throttle given. Something is making noise, so I shut it off.

So it sounds like crap turning the key, starts like it should with a remote (tried with both relays). I put back everything to the original components, execpt the relay. I'll swap it back in.

Electronic ignition upgrade has been done using 5 pin box and later style four post ballast resistor. No aftermarket items involved.

Last edited:
Here's that sweet A/C unit, real bummer I couldn't use it. :bs_flag:

IMG_20180718_085530.jpg

A Bedford unit. Haven't googled it yet, don't know if I will. (I will!)

IMG_20180718_085537.jpg

And the remains of what was once a nice console.

IMG_20180718_085549.jpg

IMG_20180718_085552.jpg

IMG_20180718_085603.jpg

And, as I was disconnecting the power lead for the A/C, I discovered a previous owner had cut the wire for the brake lights, and I think jumped it to a different fuse. I'll have to chase that down and figure out what they did there. I also found a cut wire (green) and a wire that came; out of a plug, has a broken connector, or something (blue). Grab the FSM and figure it out. I also got to remove the speaker wire someone installed, I'm guessing it was the younger gentleman who caused the front end damage. I would have done the same thing at his age, plus put a CB in!

Last edited:
Swapped door panels for ones without speakers cutouts.

IMG_20180718_111613.jpg

IMG_20180720_170058.jpg

Not perfect, but no holes either.

I put a jumper between the battery and the starter relay til I can correct it later on. I'm the only one driving the car, so only I have to remember to worry, but I'll be okay.

Topped off the oil and started it up, no more noise, that's good. Got another thermostat, that will go in tomorrow morning, purge the system and see how it goes.

I looked at the fuse box to see what previous owner(s) have done, and they cut the wire for the brake lights at the fuse, and then it's connected to another wire. I didn't chase that wire yet and still have to reattach the fuse box. Anyways, I hooked that to the accessories tab above the brake fuse, and I have a taillight on the driver's side, brake lights on both sides, turn signals both sides in the rear and the passenger side up front. That was easy. The turn signals don't cancel themselves out, and they are quieter than the other Polara. They put Amber colored bulbs in the rear, but they work, mostly!

I still have to adjust the idle, it revved to 1500rpm when I started it, but it was cold and I only set the idle after it was hot. Do that tomorrow and take it to work! I can't wait to start racking up the miles!

Last edited:
Oh, and wash it!

20180719_064216.jpg

Which remimds me, the windshield leaks. I have to call the fine folks who installed it and let them know. Now would be a good time to order a vinyl top if I want one...

Back