1966 Windsor tag decode please

Cartel

Reaction score
IMG_2970.JPG

I'd like to know all the info but the engine is most important.
I think its 2 dr. Hardtop, scorch red, persian white top, red cloth/vinyl

I couldnt find much else but the 5 is 383? 61 for a 2 barrel engine?

View attachment 575947

I'd like to know all the info but the engine is most important.
I think its 2 dr. Hardtop, scorch red, persian white top, red cloth/vinyl

I couldnt find much else but the 5 is 383? 61 for a 2 barrel engine?

[/URL]
[/URL]

I'm pretty sure the AB with a 61 under it indicates a 383 four barrel 330 HP engine. . . Look at this tag decoder info. It indicates it is for 1965, but I think it is also applicable to '66:

1965 Mopar Fendertag codes

Still building on my various info lists. This may not be fully accurate. For the "last" W under paint - is the "sweep" on your car White? (the paint area enclosed within the double chrome trim) Pic for reference:
1.jpg

Sales Order
B0800245

Body
C = Chrysler
L = Newport (low price)
2 = 2-Door
3 = Hardtop

Trim
L = Low Price
8 = Cloth and Vinyl Bench
R = Red

Paint
W = White Upper Body (roof)
P = Red Lower Body
2 = 2-Tone Paint Scheme
W = White Sweep

Codes
A6 = 383
B1 = 2bbl
C5 = Torqueflite 3sp auto
E3 = Auto Pilot (cruise control) **Follow-up edit: does your car have an "A/C only; no heater"? "E" associates to heaters, but it's already cold in Canada without adding A/C and no heat....!**
H1 = Power Brakes
R1 = Music Master 2W AM

e8 = Rear Defogger
f6 = Rear Speaker
k2 = Tinted Windshield Only (this one's pretty iffy - usually under "X"...do you have an auto headlight dimmer?)
p6 = Remote Outside Left Mirror

Does this match with what your car actually has? Anything I have here that you know is errant? (fender tags lack consistency corporate-wide)

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:
thats awesome, thank you.
Its got a heater, no ac, cruise or dimmer. It has a block heater.
For some reason someone sanded down to the metal on a bunch of spots, maybe to make it look "old"?
It kills me to see it.
Now some of the spots are rusting.:(

2021232.jpg
2021233.jpg
IMG_2932.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG

I'll ponder your "E" code some more.
It appears that you DO have a "tinted windshield only", so maybe k2 is correct - I usually think of mirrors for "k".

Have you thought about pulling the back seat to check for a broadcast sheet in the back's springs?

1966BroadcastSheetExample.jpg

What is included in the broadcast? I found one this week on the back seat of my 66 Ply VIP. However, I have not pulled the back seat out of my 67' Chrysler.
Didn't mean to horn on your post, but just had a question about broadcast sheet data.
rsh1966vip

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

cant find this distibutor either. 2642244 and 2642248 but no 2246
View attachment 575970View attachment 575971
Canadian built Windsors got the cast iron Prestolite distributors.
Parts for them are getting scarce and
do not interchange with Mopar alloy distributors.
On the 66 300, I swapped in a Mopar dizzy and installed Pertronix electronic guts.
.Hope this helps.

20210808_132208.jpg

What is included in the broadcast?
Pretty much everything. That one looks pristine (edit: OK - maybe not pristine, but dang nice!) - I'd extract it very carefully and store it safely. Be sure to check that it is the correct one for your car - matches your VIN and Fender Tag ...If not, list it as found in the Lost & Found forum as someone else may have "its" car.

A cursory scan of what is readily visible says you car is monotone charcoal with a black cloth/vinyl bench interior, a 383-2bbl, AC, 8.25 x 14 4P.R. WSW tires, 3.23:1 non-sure grip 8-3/4 axle, power brakes and steering, rear speaker, etc.

Metal tag identifies just the seat component.

Last edited:
Mark, your info is spot on for the car as produced, however someone put a 400 with a 4 barrel in place of the original 383. I think I will just leave the build sheet in the Plymouth back seat. I will pull the back seat out of the 67 Chrysler in the spring when the weather is warmer. Thanks for your feedback.
rsh1966vip

G 413? Could it be a 413?
9 Canada?
Concur with Ross on all his points - whatever you scanned appears to have an error. F was a 361 in '66; G was 383 2bbl, and J was 440. Additionally, the A6/B1 on the fender tag is 383 (61 engine 'code' on order info and broadcast sheet). 413's are all at least 4-bbl, and digits are A7/B0 for "standard" (70), and A7/B1 for a higher performance with a long duration cam and dual exhaust (71). I can't quite see in your picture, but a quick visual difference is the pad on an RB - pic for ref below.

Plant code 9 (later "R") is indeed Windsor ON CA

B-RB.jpg

Also, your fender tag indications the production date was B08 and the Sequence number was 00245. B08 stands for February 8th, 1966. Cars built for the 1966 model year prior to Jan of 66 were tagged A B or C for October, November and December.

This doesn't mean your car was necessarily built on that exact date, but more that the production or sales order was processed in the main system on that date as noted above.

E3 on the tag for 1966 was used for a number of options if I recall correctly - Autopilot being one of them, but not only that option. Since your car doesn't have Autopilot, it was likely used to denote a different option. The fender tag typically was used to cover options where extra holes were needed (to be drilled or punched in the body) or other specialized procedures were required. AC required big holes in the firewall plus inner fender holes for the line clamps. Autopilot needed holes drilled in the firewall and inner fenders, and so did a rear mount antenna. Your car has none of those, so the E3 may remain a mystery.

My VIn number is CL23G69******
G 413? Could it be a 413?
9 Canada?
View attachment 576465
The 7th digit in the VIN "9" IS Windsor Ontario assembly plant.
1966 is the last year for Chrysler models built for the Canadian market and also last year for the Windsor nameplate.

Canadians saw American built Chryslers in 1967 as part of the Autopact agreement that was signed in 1965.
Fender tags and BS have a code for "built to Canadian Specs" for example.
As for the Windsor plants, they built other cars both for Canada and Export.
They also built A and B bodies that were shipped and sold in the US.
On the other side I know of a 70 Monaco built in the US but has a Fury III interior and it is spec'd for Canada.

...the E3 may remain a mystery.
Looking at OP's pics, I'm going to surmise that the E3 is actually a package code - 353: "Appearance" (also called Dress Up), which in the case of a 2-door Newport nets just Bumper Reveal Moldings (visible in pics), and Deluxe Wheel Covers (missing after 56 years...go figure!)
A couple other possibilities might be 623: HD Suspension w/o Sway. Or maybe something with the seat - 453: Power 6-way Bench or 563: 50/50 Bench Seat. I could see either of these needing specialized mounting holes, reinforcements/weldments, or wire pass-thrus.
There are a few other "3s" possible that I found, but they seem more prone to the 'lower case' codes (or some other predictable position). Right or wrong, I tend to think of the 'upper case' row as more of body/drive-train fab, and the lower case as more of interior/trim/finish. Head-end material-in assembly versus tail-end final-out-the-door, if you will.

423 Transaudio radio AM/FM (pushbutton)
533 left and right headrest
543 upper door frame molding
553 front bucket and rear seat foams
573 deluxe wood grain steering wheel
583 bolt on design Sport wheel covers
693 manufacture certified card

None of this is absolute. Fender tags are all over the place depending on the assembly plant. Broadcast sheets are consistent and reliable.

B08 stands for February 8th, 1966. Cars built for the 1966 model year prior to Jan of 66 were tagged A B or C for October, November and December.
I believe OPs car was a SPD of November 8, 1965 with the "B". February would still be "2", I think. Attached example is a '66 Charger tag - 383 4bbl with 4spd manual trans; SPD May 2, 1966 as I understand it to be.

_1966tag.jpg

Back