1967 Crown Coupe purchased at estate sale

Did your wife kid you about YOUR piece of "big brickabat" that wouldn't go in the trunk of what y'all were driving?

Great score! It'll be beautiful when finished!

Congrats!
CBODY67
Well, wife said she's keeping track of the total cost. Then SHE gets a diamond that costs the same! So it's going to cost me double.

She's a good gal though, and deserves it anyway for putting up with me for four decades.

I guess it's worth giving them a call. Thanks!
Might be kind of hard (unless they moved)

This company has been here from at least 2007
SCI.jpg

Alan

Nice score! Looks like a nice, "high and dry" example, lucky you!. Haven't seen gold (at least, I THINK it's gold from the photos) w/green interior (just look at that green translucent wheel) in many years, an attractive, truly 1960's color combination.

Give that green leather a good soaking with Leatherique, or Lexol, which is easier to get. Then, give all that walnut on the dash/doors, a good oiling with lemon oil, or something similar. the same stuff you use on walnut furniture is good for that. THEN you can truly see/appreciate what is an Imperial's better (if not the best, IMHO) feature, their interiors....

I'd say in general, get it into reliable driving condition, and let the rest follow as you go. This website will be a big help to you: www.imperialclub.com, especially with power options, etc.

Power window mechanisms often just need dis-assembly/cleaning-lube/re-assembly..... send your switches to devinism on this group, he's the "respected expert" on re-building them.

The rear end looks to be a LITTLE low, but that's common with these over time, replacing the rear leaf springs on mine brought it back up, and helped with handling.

Congrats on your estate sale find! Be glad you were able to get such a nice example without having to go through one of those 3rd party re-sellers....... ENJOY, and welcome to the list.
Code YY1 (if I'm correctly reading the fender tag) is Imperial Fawn Poly, according to the color chip card I just ordered from ebay. The paint chip card from the Imperial Club site shows Y as Imperial Fawn Metallic. It's gold(ish).

Thanks for the advice. I am happy with the car; it has exceeded my expectations. The more I drive it, the less it leaks.

Some of the walnut grain on the doors is raised, like it's been wet. It looks pretty thin, but I'll attempt a light sanding. Is ordinary Old English lemon oil OK? I used to own a cedar house, and that's what we used to spruce up the interior walls.

Small Dog likes the windows down when we drive, so that work is coming up shortly.

Homer Formby wood products?

Give that green leather a good soaking with Leatherique, or Lexol, which is easier to get
I was watching a video on yt the other day, there's this collector who owns a few Imperials and a few other cars, one of which is a '57 300C, in the video he comments on how he uses ivory soap to clean/condition the leather seats in the 300, anyone know if that really works?
Here's the video:

Lemon oil is good on wood but bee's wax works wonders. It can also be used on leather and stainless.

Nice car !
Lewiston makes sense . Stanley was never big enough for a dealership . Salmon would have been the nearest Chrysler dealership . Jerry Blake was the rep bake in those days .
He told me he forced a Superbird 6 pak on the Salmon dealership in 1970 lol.
Jerry went on to be the head of Mopar Division and authorized the reproduction of 426 Hemi crate motors in the 90s.

Just a little trivia …

Bob do you live in Boise ?

Nice car !
Lewiston makes sense . Stanley was never big enough for a dealership . Salmon would have been the nearest Chrysler dealership . Jerry Blake was the rep bake in those days .
He told me he forced a Superbird 6 pak on the Salmon dealership in 1970 lol.
Jerry went on to be the head of Mopar Division and authorized the reproduction of 426 Hemi crate motors in the 90s.

Just a little trivia …

Bob do you live in Boise ?
I live all the way on the other end of 84, in Idaho Falls.

I suspect Ivory soap would be a gentle cleaner for leather. Possibly better than some of the harsher leather "chemical-based" cleaners?

CBODY^7

Just back from a 55 mile shakedown cruise at 80+ mph. No issues, other than a little shake about 90. Love it.

I thought some of you might get a kick out of the Idaho 'Famous Potatoes' plate that was on the car. It was first issued in '74 and last registered in '80.

The Famous Potatoes motto is still on the standard Idaho plates, although they're a little fancier now.

License plate.jpg

Lemon oil is good on wood but bee's wax works wonders. It can also be used on leather and stainless.
Thanks DCMC. I purchased some beeswax and have some boiled linseed oil on hand. I've got a stack of Minnesota walnut in my shop to test it on, although it's a darker shade of wood.

Goldmyn,

These are the options, as far as I can tell. Some of these may have been standard on the Crown Coupe.

Remote trunk release
Tilt-a-scope steering wheel
Front and rear air
Auto pilot (which does something that I haven't figured out yet)
Electric door locks
AM/FM search tune with front and rear speakers and power antenna (AM works, search tune doesn't work, antenna stuck in up position)
Safeguard sentinel lighting
Power vent windows
Door edge guards
Right outside mirror

Very nice score! One of my favorite Mopars ever, such a classy looking ride. Murphy's Oil Soap will work wonders on the leather and not dry it out. Lemon oil will bring out the wood nicely. Have fun.

Goldmyn,

These are the options, as far as I can tell. Some of these may have been standard on the Crown Coupe.

Remote trunk release
Tilt-a-scope steering wheel
Front and rear air
Auto pilot (which does something that I haven't figured out yet)
Electric door locks
AM/FM search tune with front and rear speakers and power antenna (AM works, search tune doesn't work, antenna stuck in up position)
Safeguard sentinel lighting
Power vent windows
Door edge guards
Right outside mirror
Great Imperial, congrats!
All of those were extra cost options unless the rear air is not actually ac but just the standard rear defogger. Both of my ‘67 coupes have the rear defogger and the switch is labeled “Rear air”.
There is a clear coat on the wood and that is what you see lifting. I’ve refinished the wood on a couple of these cars and the first thing you need to do is gently scrape off the clear using sharp chisels and razor blades scraping perpendicular to and with the grain and I do mean gently.

Back