1967 Monaco 500 with what engine?

Were side marker lights an option in '67? Does the car have shoulder belts?

Looks like something leaking under the rad?
No shoulder belts. The side marker lights are a mystery. I was hoping that someone on this thread would know if they were offered in 1967 model year Monacos.

Side marker lights became manditory in '68, and I think detachable shoulder belts also. Sales litterature indicates that the belts were an option in '67 so the lights could have been also. The front disk brakes were I think manditory (at least in Canada?) on 440 cars.

The 15" wheels and larger tires were probably standard (not optional) because of the extra weight of the A/C and maybe the 440 is heavier than the 383? (bigger rad also?)

15" wheels and tires were part of the front power disc brake option. Had to have the 15" wheels to clear the brake calipers. Only one wheel cover for 15" wheels.

The normal 8.55x14 tires had plenty of weight capacity to handle a 440, as that's what the New Yorkers had as standard equipment in 1966 and later. A 440 is not much heavier than a 383, anyway.

In November I purchased a 1967 Dodge Marco 500 at the Palm Springs auction. This car has appeared on this forum in the past. It is the one that came out of the Vanderblink auction in SD in July 2020.
I am trying to figure out what engine is in my car. This is my first 60s MoPar. As a result, I am not familiar with Chrysler product engines of the era. My car was advertised as having a 440. I took that at face value, which was probably foolish.
Looking at the VIN, I now know that I have a true Monaco 500, but it was delivered with an “L” code engine. My research suggests that that is a 383 with a two barrel. The engine currently under the hood is a big block with a four barrel.
One can see a code on the intake manifold in the below photos. Also shown is the code on the engine block itself. If I’m reading it correctly, the engine was manufactured in the 28rd week of 1966. That suggests to me that this is not the original engine to the car.
Is my my car running a 440 taken from a 1966 Chrysler product?

View attachment 581406View attachment 581407View attachment 581408View attachment 581409View attachment 581410View attachment 581411View attachment 581412
Welcome to the L code club!!
You sir, have a very rare beast!
VIN starting with DP states US built car (Canadian 500's start with DH).
How rare?
Just looky here... 286!!
Only 5 came with the stick!!

IMG_5213.jpg

Side marker lamps became mandatory in 1968 in the US. I've never seen an earlier model so equipped from the factory.
It is not unreasonable that a previous owner would have had them added, and thankfully they used the correct '68 lights, positioned properly.
Having the lights made a great difference in visibility at crossroads, etc., particularly in vehicles like your Monaco, where neither the head nor the tail lamps were directly visible from a side view.
The gov't required lights in 1968, reflectors in 1969, and a combination of the two in 1970 and later.

"Only one wheel cover for 15" wheels."

Depends on build date and assembly plant.
My Canadian built L code 500 has a SPD of Dec.66 and has the early disc brake wheel covers.
I have been doing some research and what I had found so far-- but not confirmed--1967 L code 500's that I had seen got the "must have" Disc brakes. Possibly as part of ordering the L code they were "required"

20221103_193414.jpg

In November I purchased a 1967 Dodge Marco 500 at the Palm Springs auction. This car has appeared on this forum in the past. It is the one that came out of the Vanderblink auction in SD in July 2020.
I am trying to figure out what engine is in my car. This is my first 60s MoPar. As a result, I am not familiar with Chrysler product engines of the era. My car was advertised as having a 440. I took that at face value, which was probably foolish.
Looking at the VIN, I now know that I have a true Monaco 500, but it was delivered with an “L” code engine. My research suggests that that is a 383 with a two barrel. The engine currently under the hood is a big block with a four barrel.
One can see a code on the intake manifold in the below photos. Also shown is the code on the engine block itself. If I’m reading it correctly, the engine was manufactured in the 28rd week of 1966. That suggests to me that this is not the original engine to the car.
Is my my car running a 440 taken from a 1966 Chrysler product?

View attachment 581406View attachment 581407View attachment 581408View attachment 581409View attachment 581410View attachment 581411View attachment 581412
If you were wondering, the L code 440 got the chrome valve covers on top of bigger valved 915 closed combustion chamber heads, HP manifolds with dual exhaust, AFB carburetor and a factiry lumpy cam.
3.23 gears with sure grip was part of the package as well. Along for the ride is the HD 727 and HD cooling with or without AC.
Bigger front sway bar and HD torsion bars abd rear leaf springs.
Hope this helps.

People loved adding the marker lights on pre 68 cars as soon as the 68s came out.
I'd look at the wiring to see if they are tapped/spliced in.

Alan

Welcome to the L code club!!
You sir, have a very rare beast!
VIN starting with DP states US built car (Canadian 500's start with DH).
How rare?
Just looky here... 286!!
Only 5 came with the stick!!

View attachment 581485
Thank you. So the car was properly represented at the auction where I bought it. If I am reading the image above correctly, I see a total of 5,113 Monacos built in 1967. That is more than double the number I see from other sources. Any idea what the correct number is?

If you were wondering, the L code 440 got the chrome valve covers on top of bigger valved 915 closed combustion chamber heads, HP manifolds with dual exhaust, AFB carburetor and a factiry lumpy cam.
3.23 gears with sure grip was part of the package as well. Along for the ride is the HD 727 and HD cooling with or without AC.
Bigger front sway bar and HD torsion bars abd rear leaf springs.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. This description makes the car sound like a genuine muscle car.

Thank you. So the car was properly represented at the auction where I bought it. If I am reading the image above correctly, I see a total of 5,113 Monacos built in 1967. That is more than double the number I see from other sources. Any idea what the correct number is?
Not sure exactly what the correct number is or the source I shared combined 4dr Monaco's.
The C body records are sketchy at best.
Not like the A B or E body cars' records.
My 67 500 is believed to be 1 of 153 built at the Windsor Ontario Canada plant with the L code 440. Break it down again based on options she could possibly be 1 of 1.
Again no concrete evidence to back that up.
Nigel Mills of National Moparts has a data base which he has about 50 U.S. L code 67 Monaco 500's.
My Canadian built car he says its the only one he has seen so far.

20221103_144552.jpg

Not sure exactly what the correct number is or the source I shared combined 4dr Monaco's.
The C body records are sketchy at best.
Not like the A B or E body cars' records.
My 67 500 is believed to be 1 of 153 built at the Windsor Ontario Canada plant with the L code 440. Break it down again based on options she could possibly be 1 of 1.
Again no concrete evidence to back that up.
Nigel Mills of National Moparts has a data base which he has about 50 U.S. L code 67 Monaco 500's.
My Canadian built car he says its the only one he has seen so far.

View attachment 581489
does the passenger-side mirror open in the mounting position its at?

"Only one wheel cover for 15" wheels."

Depends on build date and assembly plant.
My Canadian built L code 500 has a SPD of Dec.66 and has the early disc brake wheel covers.
I have been doing some research and what I had found so far-- but not confirmed--1967 L code 500's that I had seen got the "must have" Disc brakes. Possibly as part of ordering the L code they were "required"

View attachment 581486
Sorry for my knowledge being only of USA-spec cars, whereas others in the Canadian border corridor having access to the slightly different Canadian-spec vehicles. Still learning.

As to the front power disc brake option, it may well have been that dealers were somewhat "suggested" (by their factory sales reps) to order the disc brakes with the 440 HP option, as they probably considered the new power disc brake option to be "high performance" to complement the 440 HP motor option. Or some dealers did that on their own.

Rare models and related option combinations are NOT just the realm of the smaller-than-C body cars! Great catch in finding one in plain open sight!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This topic was noted once before. Maybe someone can find the thread. I suspect one of the plants deviated, maybe the Canuckian one. Or maybe a few late 1967's were equipped that was as a pilot trial for proving the process for the next model year (are these late serial numbers?)

Example of a 1967 Polara 500 with the 1968 roundels:

$(KGrHqF,!lsFJj06Di7oBS,ULghlGg~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16RHJHsFGlMr,jKCBS,UMKMb,!~~60_57.jpg

Also worth mentioning is that it was possible to get a K code 440 (non-magnum) without requiring disc brakes and 15" tires. I have such a car. From the way I am reading the option sheets, all of the K's are automatics.

The L code 440 magnum required disc brakes, and disc brakes required 15" wheels and power brakes. A 4 speed was possible with an L, but a 3 speed manual was not.

1967PolaraOptionSheetB.jpg

So is it reasonable for a car built in April ’67 to have an engine block forged in the 28th week of 1966?
the 28th week is July 9-15 The block was cast then for 1967 production which started around August 1st.

Back