1968 300 Paint Colors and Types

PrestonUSA1

Reaction score
Hello FCBO,

I am repainting some of the interior parts, grill, and convertible top frame on my '68 300. It's hard to tell with all the different surfaces what paint they used. The top frame is like a satin black, the trim around the windshield has both steel and cast parts that look like they were a satin or semi flat black, and the dash speaker grill is? Then there's all the recessed black paint stripes on the grill and dash. I am guessing there was one "color" paint on all of them, but seeing as there are so many different surfaces/finishes being painted I am not sure. Any help would be great!

Best Regards,

Preston :sFl_america2:

Type of black paint on top frame, can anyone assist?

Hello FCBO,

I am repainting some of the interior parts, grill, and convertible top frame on my '68 300. It's hard to tell with all the different surfaces what paint they used. The top frame is like a satin black, the trim around the windshield has both steel and cast parts that look like they were a satin or semi flat black, and the dash speaker grill is? Then there's all the recessed black paint stripes on the grill and dash. I am guessing there was one "color" paint on all of them, but seeing as there are so many different surfaces/finishes being painted I am not sure. Any help would be great!

Best Regards,

Preston :sFl_america2:

I dont have an answer for you. I am unfamiliar with what they would have used in 68...... In fact not many slabbies on this board yet.

I have no specific or factual answers on what Chrysler would have used. However I can tell you that there were 2 paints that were invaluable on the 2 GM cars I have restored: Krylon dull aluminum for dull "argent" painted areas, and Krylon or any type of satin black (not flat, not gloss, but a semi-gloss formula) on many items as well. One thing I learned early on is that OEMs used flat black on virtually nothing.

Here is a link to a site that may have some answers for you. I used it to find paint brands and numbers on several projects in the past.

http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml

Rustolum, Krylon and Duplicolor all offer great alternatives.... Satin black, semi gloss black, textured paint, crystal clear, stainless, cast blast, All should be in your paint cabinet

I've always used a good quality satin finish. I've had top frames powder coated in the past and it worked out great. You'll need to completely dissasemble the frame though.... TAKE PICTURES.....

SEM black trim paint #39143, very close to what would have been the 30 degrees of gloss black.That's not to say it's glossy though, it's a satin.

You can also check the UBS paint code on the fender tag. It may help.

Drives me absolutely BONKERS when I see all the stuff painted Krylon gloss black. %^$^-ing idiots.

Yeah, gloss black is the lazy way out. The paint supplier where I am makes up "chassis black", in cans or spray bombs, and it's just about right for most applications that need a satin finish.

Admittingly, I take the "almost" lazy way out.
I use this stuff. It's damn close!
And it really holds up well.

1.jpg

Back