1968 300 tail light panel - silver argent?

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
The earlier 68 300's that had the silver painted tail light panel -- was that painted with the silver argent? The one I'm working on was repainted by someone with just a run of the silver paint and I'd like to get it more like original.

Thanks for the info. It even has a paint code which I never knew about. I took the tail lights out and could see that whoever painted it did not remove them, instead just masked them, so there is a different shade which was hidden. It does not look like the silver argent paint I bought to touch up the grill (I think it was from Herb, but can't remember exactly) which was more sparkly with bigger looking flakes. It is light but dull, not sparkly.

Research tells me there is no perfect substitute for the original but I find a lot of opinions and discussions on what comes close (including a DIY mix). I've seen the Krylon dull aluminum mentioned as a pretty good match so I'm going to give that a test.

Thanks for the info. It even has a paint code which I never knew about. I took the tail lights out and could see that whoever painted it did not remove them, instead just masked them, so there is a different shade which was hidden. It does not look like the silver argent paint I bought to touch up the grill (I think it was from Herb, but can't remember exactly) which was more sparkly with bigger looking flakes. It is light but dull, not sparkly.

Research tells me there is no perfect substitute for the original but I find a lot of opinions and discussions on what comes close (including a DIY mix). I've seen the Krylon dull aluminum mentioned as a pretty good match so I'm going to give that a test.
That seems to be an issue with the argent paint. No two vendors seem to be alike and it's tough to know even what is close to correct. Then I'm not even sure what is correct as the colors fade and I really think there were inconstancies in what got sprayed on the assembly lines.

For my '70 300 and the Rally wheels on my '65 Barracuda, I used the Mopar spray bomb. My thoughts are to use one brand and stick with it so at least the argent matches on the same car.

What is the Mopar spray bomb??

Mopar P4529876 Wheel Paint​

4b8793fa3c5c7b5fb255d4c5995e1147.jpg

I was buying this from Amazon, but I see it's out of stock there and at Summit. Probably available somewhere else, but hopefully it's still going to be available in the future.

It costs but I went through KolorKorrect for most of the paints that were not like, external color or bought in bulk. They provided the argent I’ll be using on my 67 Monaco grille and a bunch of other things. I did my research and gave them numbers but they seem prepped to handle more open questions. I’d check with them.

Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint

Nevermind that....they emailed me saying the order was canceled because it is out of stock with no ETA

I notice that on SummitRacing they suggest as a subsitute Mopar Performance Paint P4529876AB, but it is also NLA.

I found the original on A-1 racing Products so ordered it there. We'll see if it comes in or if I get another cancelation...

Last edited:
Rust-oleum Metallic Finish aluminum # 7715 is supposed to be good too, but I've never tried it.

Somewhere, I remember reading a comparison on the silver "argent" finishes using different brands of spray paint. I can't find it now.

When I redud my 68 New Yorker, and the frobt of the BoaB, I used argent silver wheel paijt.
Iused both the Mopar schtuff abd Duplicolor
Both works!

Back