1968 forward look distributor?

halifaxhops

Retired USAF MSGT (SW) yes navy also.
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK this one has me stumped why does a 1968 slat distributor have a forward look emblem on it? Look at the pics.
DSC02851.JPG
DSC02852.JPG

Think 62, have had plenty of 63 and up never saw this before, and of course the core has a petronix in it was just wondering if it would be desirable to some one back as stock. Just has me stumped thought that ended in 1962?

Actually, the "Forward Look" cars were in the middle 1950s, whose styling ended in about '57 (when, "Suddenly, it's 1960!"). As far as I know, all distributors were Prestolite and cast iron back then, single point and dual point alike. Back when all V-8s were either "A-based" or "Hemi-based" (Gen 1 Hemi, that is).

You can track that stamped distributor number and get an application, but you might have to look through the yearly lists to get it. The particular stamped number (part number for the distributor assembly) can be indicative of the model year it was assigned to that part.

As the Forward Look logo was identified with Chrysler Corp, that might have been an identifier for such? Pentastar didn't happen until about '63 model year, or so?

CBODY67

Whats screwing me up is the number 28xxxxx wtf? not a 57 0r 58 for sure. Comes up as a 1968 by number in all my books! I do distributors all the time to match the right one with the right car. Definitely a forward look sign not a pentstar. Just cant get a picture right. I have no idea?

Last edited:
The housing sat in the bottom of the bin at the distributor assembly shop for six years before it was randomly pulled out and processed, including date stamp?

Cosmetically, it looks like a housing that would have been used in '68. Even '66 for that matter. The part number would not have been stamped onto the ID Pad until the guts were put into the distributor, which then defined the OEM factory calibration inside of it.

And "the beat" of the mystery goes on . . .

CBODY67

Cosmetically, it looks like a housing that would have been used in '68. Even '66 for that matter. The part number would not have been stamped onto the ID Pad until the guts were put into the distributor, which then defined the OEM factory calibration inside of it.

And "the beat" of the mystery goes on . . .

CBODY67
Yes it does and definitely not re stamped. I have had sone re stamped and that area is milled down this one is on the "fresh" casting. Just to weird for sure, put it back as a points one instead of a petronix, now that would be weird as all get out. Getting cores is like a box of Chocolates for sure!

Lots of parts designs outlive their corporate branding. Many Gen III Hemi parts being cast today have pentastars, whereas 2.0L GMET4 engine parts have FCA casting marks, having been designed entirely in that era. They're mostly used by 1st and 2nd tier suppliers who may also be processing a GM part (for example) as a quick ID.

Why does no one update the dies? Because no one is being paid to do so.

Kind of on this subject I have asked this before any one know what the large numbers stamped on them mean? Not on every one usual numbers are 27 and 86 mostly. Never got a answer for them did get a request for a numbered distrib with that on it also?

FYI, the Forward Look era cars are generally considered to be from 1955 to 1961, for that matter.

Back