1968 plymouth fury III PX23G8D243539 project

oh - those that are reading along, it seemed like all the rear window trim was/is glued at the time of gluing the window in. I think you lay the window then immediately follow up with the trim pieces. that's the plan right now anyways.

for the grand finale.

why did someone use the side of a galvanized barn to patch above the window?

why rivets? it don't even close, you can see right under it.

and then 1/8" of bondo that didn't hold.

and - AND - wth happened to this car to require that sort of repair? botched sunroof job? old lady threw a brick thru it?

20150511_182910.jpg

20150511_182910.jpg

Damn Saylor, I'm praying for ya bud! I can turn wrenches all day long but I know my place and it's not in the body shop! Good luck with it!!

so. . .
this is ungood.

whats this supposed to look like on an un-effed up roof ?

is there like a roof skin and ribs underneath?

anyone have any pics of an unmolested roof bare metal?

this is a big ol lesson in suck. vinyl roofs were invented by satan.

ive chipped out all the bondo, and sanded most of it.
I got the rear quarter chrome trim off, and learned some hard lessons:
- use the NOT POINTY end of a bottle opener when trying to pop trim loose. I learned this after about the 4th pimple in the chrome from the pointy end with tape on it...
- Jason was right. there are 2 screws about 3/4 way up holding this trim piece. you have to roll window down, disassemble the arm rest, window crank, both back seat sections out, inner door panel, sail panel, rear window trim to get to them. and the sail panels crack as soon as you touch them.

whoever did the original repair (can I call it that?) pretty much had the front trims glued in with pookey. they popped out after loosening the chrome trim at the bottom of the windshield and digging out the glue. they were kind of attached to some half circle clipy things that I think are the window spacers.

the pookey, from what I can tell, is 3m windo-weld. there was a 1/2" bead of the stuff between the top window rubber and vinyl top.

Holy S#*t! I just came across this thread. That's bad, but I'm rootin' for ya!

Vinyl tops are not the work of the Devil. And i will be dammed if i am going to sit here and let you Besmirch them.

so. . .
this is ungood.

whats this supposed to look like on an un-effed up roof ?

is there like a roof skin and ribs underneath?

anyone have any pics of an unmolested roof bare metal?

Yes, I do. Vinyl roof removed.

Polara_top_010.JPG

Polara_top_011.JPG

Polara_top_013.JPG

this is a big ol lesson in suck. vinyl roofs were invented by satan.

ive chipped out all the bondo, and sanded most of it.
I got the rear quarter chrome trim off, and learned some hard lessons:
- use the NOT POINTY end of a bottle opener when trying to pop trim loose. I learned this after about the 4th pimple in the chrome from the pointy end with tape on it...
- Jason was right. there are 2 screws about 3/4 way up holding this trim piece. you have to roll window down, disassemble the arm rest, window crank, both back seat sections out, inner door panel, sail panel, rear window trim to get to them. and the sail panels crack as soon as you touch them.

whoever did the original repair (can I call it that?) pretty much had the front trims glued in with pookey. they popped out after loosening the chrome trim at the bottom of the windshield and digging out the glue. they were kind of attached to some half circle clipy things that I think are the window spacers.

the pookey, from what I can tell, is 3m windo-weld. there was a 1/2" bead of the stuff between the top window rubber and vinyl top.

Heat, heat is you friend with pookey. Pookey, just like the ole ladies, get em hot and everything is just slick like butter.

wow saylor looks like you have your work cut out for you. good luck on saving that roof. ever consider a donor car for a roof if you can locate one? might be less work in the long run.

Back