1968 Polara parts

Skpot Baird

Reaction score
D31D31B8-34F4-429E-A909-C159887983C4.jpeg
Being new to the Mopar family. I m finding it a little more challenging to find parts then with brand X. So I’m looking for a little input as to some good parts sources. I have a 1968 Polara convertible. After getting started on it I feel lucky to only have rust in the lower quarters both inner and outer. I have found the trunk floor extension, but I’m finding the lower quarter a little more tricky to find. I could make them with a English wheel. But I would like to find some replacements if I can. Any input would be greatly appreciate. .

You are best off working with what you have. The cheap panels made North of the border are worse than junk. The crown lines do not have the correct radius, the wheelwell does not follow the original, and the fold lines at the bottom are off a mile. A factory quarter has a certain curve to it, the Canadian quarter does not, and what you end up with is a fugly vertical flat spot going down the quarter just ahead of the wheelwell. Don't do it, you're still a young man. It will not turn out right and permanently devalue the car.

It would be best to invest in a shrinker stretcher machine (Eastwoods, etc), and also either buy a used sheet metal brake or get sections prebent to work with that you can run through the shrinker stretcher to form the wheelwell curves. Use hand forming to put the gentle curves going down at the very bottom. Aft of the wheelwell approaching the bumper I would roll a flat section around a big piece of pipe until I had the radius the same as the original, then brake form the lower edge. Trim carefully and butt weld seams; do not put a flange on it or overlap them. Hopefully the rust does not extend above the main crown line, but if it does, think small and only try to replace those spots that are bad.

You can also make hammerforms out of stout lumber by cutting two nearly identical pieces with a scroll saw (think Craigslist), then making the radius with a hand sander. Bolt the two halves together with the sheetmetal inbetween and wail away at it with your hammer.

You will need the shrinker stretcher anyway to fabricate the missing/rusted chunks of the outer wheelhouse as well. You may want to pick up a sheet metal radius gauge and a copy of Ron Fournier's Sheet Metal Fabricator's Handbook. A Mig is pretty much a must.

You might try DVAP or Murray Park for other parts. When I toured DVAP in 2001 they had several slab convertibles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I thought that this was the route that I was going to have to take. I was hoping that something would be available.

Back