1968 sway bar linkage

KO Newport

Reaction score
Trying to replace the bushings for my sway bar but the linkage seems to be pressed together. I had
IMG_8698.JPG
to cut the bushings out. Are there replacement linkage?

Moog has a replacement kit. If you look at the unit, there are 3/8' spot weld(s) that holds the base together, you can drill that spot weld to take the unit apart and replace the weld with a 3/8" bolt. The Moog kit also bolts together.

Dave

I was able, just barely, to use brake cleaner which lubed them up enough I could force them on with a hammer. I was very sore the next day. Drilling out per the instructions that come with the package would have been faster.

I had the unfortunate experience of the threads completely stripping off the stanchion when I ran the nut off with an impact gun on one side. So in addition to drilling out the giant spot welds (I think it took about a 5/8" drill on mine), I had to cut the stanchion out and replace it with a long 3/8 bolt. I beveled the inside, then welded both sides, grinding the inside weld down flush. Then I made a sleeve out of 1/2" x 1/16" steel tubing, reamed to 3/8" to remove the internal seam.

I found it funny that the bolts Moog supplied to put the spot welds back together were too small, given the humongous spot welds. I imagine the factory guy at the spot welder fell asleep or something when he was pressing the foot pedal that day. I ended up doing a rosette weld to put it back together. I welded one side with lots of clamps and then cooled it with a wet rag to keep the heat from cooking the new bushing. Then I did the other side. The bushing seemed to take the heat ok.

What tripped me up is that though I ordered the Moog kit for the sway bar with all the other front end parts, I did not realize it takes a separate Moog kit to do the other end where it attaches to the strut rod.

I saw on ebay that NOS brackets occasionally come up for sale, but they are a little pricey. It looks like Mopar sold the bottom close out piece separate from the main part with the stanchion.

Back