1969 300 CONVERTIBLE GLASS REAR WINDOW

DDR2467

Reaction score
Hello all! It’s been a while since I have posted due to some health issues but I’m back on my 300 restoration. The soft top that came with my 300 had a perfectly flat glass rear window. I am having a new top which I got from Robbins installed right now. The installer said the new window had a curve to it and was a bit taller than the one that was in it. Can anyone tell me if the rear glass window was originally flat or came with a slight curvature to it? TY all in advance… looking forward to getting back to posting my progress!

Not sure but I think the original had a slight curve like in pic. Car ad said car is a survivior and all original, but he could have had top replaced. What does your look like?
Screenshot 2022-08-13 at 20-17-15 MOPAR COLLECTION 1969 CHRYSLER 300 CONVERTIBLE - The Electri...png

Last edited:
I would suspect that the rear glass would have a small compound curve to it, top to bottom and side to side, to match the contours of the car body. Putting a flat item in that situation could cause extra stress on the seams, possibly, which might compromise the look and ultimate durability of the top fabric in those areas.

Just a suspicion,
CBODY67

Oh my, great thread. Glass verses soft. Can I put glass in my 69? I hate my soft rear window. Can you have one or the other or is it year specific? Zipper in and out no matter what you have? I'm trying to learn the complicated mechanisms of these fuselages convertible's; I Would Love to Have glass in my rear but is that possible? Please chime in this thread topic. He He I said glass in my rear.

Seems like Ford started the "solid" convertible rear windows in about 1968? With a clear "hinge" in the middle, as I recall. Later ones were not hinged, as I recall.

Even after the OEMs were using the solid window, it was still possible to get a convertible top with the prior "clear" vinyl rear window in them.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Oh my, great thread. Glass verses soft. Can I put glass in my 69? I hate my soft rear window. Can you have one or the other or is it year specific? Zipper in and out no matter what you have? I'm trying to learn the complicated mechanisms of these fuselages convertible's; I Would Love to Have glass in my rear but is that possible? Please chime in this thread topic. He He I said glass in my rear.
Your car should have a glass window.

I never touch the zipper on my '70 300 when putting the top down. Mine has a glass window.

To the OP... My car is stored up at my son's and not easy to get to until the roofers are done with my house and the car comes home. When it does (next couple of days) I'll check and take a pic or too.

I would suspect that the rear glass would have a small compound curve to it, top to bottom and side to side, to match the contours of the car body. Putting a flat item in that situation could cause extra stress on the seams, possibly, which might compromise the look and ultimate durability of the top fabric in those areas.

Just a suspicion,
CBODY67
Top guy said it had seemed like the top had been replaced at least a couple of times so…. Also, I ordered the top from Robbins who I called directly and didn’t bother fishing the internet. The top guy said that the top wasn’t specific to the 300 I have… label said “full sized Chryslers”. He is having a few small issues when it comes to where to staple it because things just don’t seem right to him. I trust him because he has been doing this for over 30 years and if he is still in business then… he must know what he’s doing! Will give updates next week when I get the car back.

Back