1969 Chrysler Newport 2d HT 383 4bbl.

Sunvisor after rubbing it with SEM Soap.... much much cleaner. But did buy wrong prep... plastic and leather... sigh. So no painting yet. Chromed parts are too rusted, but much better looking after cleaning them with 0000 steelwool. Have to get silver paint, so can paint mounting triangle.
And need new plastic caps for mounting rods.
20160530_160450.jpg
20160530_160456.jpg

Did try clean windows on Newport. Few differend car window washing fluids, still dirty... CRC car window cleaner, nope still gray film on windows. I was like, sigh desert sand and wind has blasted those windows and have to replace them.
Then at Finnish forum got guy asking same problem with California Ford car. People sayd try Cerium oxide...
I started to Google and Youtube... founded you can clean car windows with 0000 steel wool. What the heck, if windows are ruined anyway, that wool cant harm them anymore.
First test, steel wool "stuck" on window, couldnt move it. Little water to make it slippery.... Cleaned door class. Then checking it inside against sunlight etc, no scratches or anything. Class did feel way more cleaner than before. Before it was like 400/600 grid sandpaper.
Next test was same window with dry steel wool. And damn that glass is clean now. Feels really smooth and no scratches, no swirls or anything on glass. Cleaned all glass that way and now can see thru. :)
Tho windshield needs polishing to be "perfect".

hey for rust try a bath of oxalic acid.

clean, dry, and paint or oil the part as soon as you pull it out of the bath.

try not to die -

- saylor

crumple a newspaper use it to put a nice shine on your windows. cerium oxide is basically toothpaste.

Did know that newspaper trick to polish windows, but it didnt help. That sand/dust what ever was really tight on windows.

Gathering more parts. Tele/tilt column. Tho its from -70 300. So have to do some rewiring...
And i want Tuff steering wheel on that... lets see how hard its to do.
Edit, now i just need backseat back with arm rest and center speaker from New yorker, Imperial etc, PW...

teletiltti ratti.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on that column. Looks like it came from a floor shift car, which would be added bonus.

I'll buy that steering wheel from you if you don't have any use for it.

Last edited:
Congrats on that column. Looks like it came from a floor shift car, which would be added bonus.

I'll buy that steering wheel from you if you don't have any use for it.
Its from column shift car. Wasnt that lucky to get floor shift column. Tho i think price was good, 100$. If i figure how to change Tuff style steering wheel into it, i sell that wheel to you. It has few shrinking caps and cracks in it.

tilitti.jpg

Gathering more parts. Tele/tilt column. Tho its from -70 300. So have to do some rewiring...
And i want Tuff steering wheel on that... lets see how hard its to do.
Edit, now i just need backseat back with arm rest and center speaker from New yorker, Imperial etc, PW...

View attachment 85004

If you figure out how to install the Tuff wheel let me know as my 70-300 t&t column's wheel is all cracked. In fact what colour is your wheel it's hard to tell and if you are not using it would it be for sale?

Wish I could help on that Tuff wheel change. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the interchangeability of B and C-body wheels. Are you going to use a genuine B-body wheel, or a repro? I read somewhere that the Grant Tuff wheel is not a plug-and-play thing, not even in a B body. - Restoring a cracked rimblow wheel is laborious, but it can be done.

Was thinking Grant repro wheel.
No idea of color, its still on its way to Finland from US.

Column arrived today. Have to check bearings, turn signal system. Then clean it, paint it black. Order Grant install kit for Repro tuff steering wheel and hope it fits...
But must find new turn signal lever, its broken.
20160805_112729.jpg
20160805_112724.jpg

And what is this part?
20160805_112739.jpg

Sigh, i hope this aint tele/tilt column only part...
20160805_112834.jpg

Looks like the roll pin can be removed to remove the coupler and cut shaft. The switch looks like a vacuum switch for e-brake release if it was a Mopar option I have seen it on Lincolns.

Cut shaft is attached to coupler with 2 bolts. So its easy to replace.

Back