1969 Imperial progress thread

Which one would you use and why? What are the Pros and Cons of each one?

2019-02-15 19.19.03.jpg

2019-02-15 19.19.26.jpg

I’m assuming same application just different years? If that’s the case I’d use the one that’s not all pitted.

Last edited:
Yes, the left one is from my 69 and the right one is from the 72.

I like the original one, but if they changed it completely because of structural reasons or something like this, I would use the newer "better" one.

Ya, the condition is not important, I will make them pretty, no matter which one.

I just thought maybe one is a better design over the other. Either the early one and they changed it because its cheaper to produce or they changed it because of flaws in the early design. Something like that.

Same thing different design. The 72 looks simpler and was probably changed to make it cheaper... and in this rare case probably better. Why do I say this you might ask????

Because the 69 version, if not perfectly set up might cause metal to metal contact.... and squeak.

I also like that the rubber is better encapsulated and protected in the ‘72 version. It also more positively connects the leaf springs to the axle. Additionally, it also has the advantage of not relying solely on the crush of the rubber through compression and shear (under lateral loads) as well as tension on the U-bolts. On the ‘72 the U-bolt work primarily in tension.... as they should.... and the upper heavy steel cover and base take all the lateral loads.

In my opinion.

Javier

Last edited:
Same thing different design. The 72 looks simpler and was probably changed to make it cheaper... and in this rare case probably better. Why do I say this you might ask????

Because the 69 version, if not perfectly set up might cause metal to metal contact.... and squeak.

I also like that the rubber is better encapsulated and protected in the ‘72 version. It also more positively connects the leaf springs to the axle. It also hast the advantage of not relying solely on the crush of the rubber through compression and shear (under lateral loads) as well as tension on the U-bolts. On the ‘72 the U-bolt work primarily in tension.... as they should.... and the upper heavy steel cover and base take all the lateral loads.

In my opinion.

Javier
Thanks for your opinion on that! You're probably right. I guess that's the way to go! :)

Hello Julian!
I think that 73 T&C is right , -72 version seems better but both will work for sure. Did you find new rubber parts for them ( -69 or -72 or both?) Or do you need to do them yourself?
Regards,
Mika
Hey Mika, I wa only able to find universal rubber pads. The only correctly shaped I found are Poly Urethane.
Energy Suspension RR LEAF SPRING ISOLATOR SET Rear
That's the route I will probably go.

Julian,

I changed some unavailable body mounts on my Roadrunner and Rear suspension bushings and mounts on my Jaguar XJS to Poly and regretted to this day. Looking for rubber now. Poly is great for handling and race cars but suck on passenger cars. Poly is a really poor isolator of vibration.

In my opinion.

I would never use PU on all the bushings, not on an Imperial. But when I have to choose between universal Rubber or perfect fitting PU, I would go with the PU.

Sorry Julian. You didn’t ask for my opinion. I’ll try to stick to answering questions and enjoying your terrific progress. You are doing a magnificent job!

Sorry Julian. You didn’t ask for my opinion. I’ll try to stick to answering questions and enjoying your terrific progress. You are doing a magnificent job!
I did ask for your opinion (and everyone else) and I appreciate it! :) And Thank you for the kind words!

Thanks later design seems to have more safety/stability built in. The earlier has more room for error or side slip if everything goes wrong.
The ultimate would be to eliminate all the rubber, but on a Imperial that seems counterproductive of the cars intended use.

Trailer Queen?:D...
Did you finally find those repair panels for her or are you doing to make new parts from sheet metal?
Happy to see her on the road again!
Regards,
Mika

Back