1969 Imperial progress thread

I can't tell if this post is an insult or a lame attempt to make a joke. . .?!?
Yes left lane was what I meant but just cruising in the right lane might not be bad for the car's longevity neither.
Julian, your car is getting a lot of TLC as I have gone back many pages on this thread to see your work, intent and progress. If you have any small parts that I can scavange off an Imerial in a scrap yard near me let me know.
Boydsdodge is going through it right now and I have set aside a few parts for him but I am sure he's not going to take it all. Enjoy seeing your work towards it's resurection.
Rip, I have a german connection, the wife is german, been to Germany , driven the Autobaun so no insult or any attempt at a lame joke.
Julian, let me know if I can help.

PT

After a successfull parts hunt yesterday I now have the passenger door from the '70 Imperial from the Netherlands, so progress will definitely go on!
I will strip the paint on the outside on saturday to better see the condition!
And then I will testfit it before sending it out for imerssion paint and rust removal and e-coating.

View attachment 584455View attachment 584492
What happened to the door that @bigmoparjeff sent you?

What happened to the door that @bigmoparjeff sent you?
The container the door is in was pulled out by US customs for a routine inspection... Besides a big bill we got for that, the container will not be in Rotterdam and unpacked before end of April.
And I don't want to wait that long.. I'm going on a 4 week US roadtrip on April, 25. So the entire project would rest without progress until June/July..

Beause of that, I will try anything to avoid that. I want to have the car painted by then.

Last edited:

Her is an update on one of the projects I was working on...

Ok Guys, I'm back from my 4 weeks, 5300 miles long Road Trip through the USAs south-west and south. It was a breathtaking time!

Back to my beloved Imperial, I directly have breathtaking news as well......!

You all remember my long long journey go get a new passenger door! After the door from the Netherlands was in junk condition all my hopes were in the door I got from @bigmoparjeff.
As the attentive reader will remember, I had trouble during shipping with it.

The container the door was in was secretly removed from the ship by Price Transfer, a company that does container searches for US customs, for a random search. This "service" has to be payed by the "users" of the container....
Not only did that cost me an additional $170 as part of this charge and a better part of 5 month... It cost me an intact door as well. It went into the trunk of the 73 dart it was shipped in without a single dent. It arrived here in germany on the back seat of this car and was damaged bad..! :mad:
The only way it could get this damage was when Price Transfer unpacked/packed it... :mob::elmer:

Of course, there es no reaction to this at all from them...

This whole door thing is killing me!

damage02.jpg

damage03.jpg

Now it has to go back to my body man go get repaired which takes weeks again... :BangHead:

That took a lot of force to put a dent in that, looks like it was done on purpose. Perhaps some azzho!e inspector upset they had to pick up a very heavy object.

Ok Guys, I'm back from my 4 weeks, 5300 miles long Road Trip through the USAs south-west and south. It was a breathtaking time!

Back to my beloved Imperial, I directly have breathtaking news as well......!

You all remember my long long journey go get a new passenger door! After the door from the Netherlands was in junk condition all my hopes were in the door I got from @bigmoparjeff.
As the attentive reader will remember, I had trouble during shipping with it.

The container the door was in was secretly removed from the ship by Price Transfer, a company that does container searches for US customs, for a random search. This "service" has to be payed by the "users" of the container....
Not only did that cost me an additional $170 as part of this charge and a better part of 5 month... It cost me an intact door as well. It went into the trunk of the 73 dart it was shipped in without a single dent. It arrived here in germany on the back seat of this car and was damaged bad..! :mad:
The only way it could get this damage was when Price Transfer unpacked/packed it... :mob::elmer:

Of course, there es no reaction to this at all from them...

This whole door thing is killing me!

View attachment 598547

View attachment 598548

Now it has to go back to my body man go get repaired which takes weeks again... :BangHead:

This is criminal! I hope it can be repaired and that somehow you can get Price or US Customs to pay for it.

Unfortunately, there is nothing more we can do... We tried!
The thing is, we don't have a good picture of the door stored inside the trunk that shows it undamaged. And we would need that to make any claims.
In my opinion an omission of the shipper who packed the container. But it's a friend of my buddy, in whose car the door came over here and I'm not going after him...

I'm the loser in this whole thing, but I can't do much about it... That's how it is.
Just another setback in this long exhausting project.

Last edited:
This is criminal! I hope it can be repaired and that somehow you can get Price or US Customs to pay for it.
But yes, it can be repaired and it will be. But it's a couple hundred Euros more money and the even worse part, it sets back the painting of the car even more. That's what pulls me down...

Sorry to hear that :(...but luckily you have a very skilled body guy and there's no sharp edges on that dent, so he can handle it I think.
Patience, Julian patience:) you know..

You guys have it so much harder restoring these cars across the pond, my hat is off to you Julian! Glad you had a good trip, next time I expect you will come to the midwest please.:poke:

Back