1969 Imperial progress thread

Those are the same wheel covers for '67, are they correct?

They seems to be mostly the same. I found this on Imperialclub.org:

The wheel covers are not the same as 1967. It would seem each year from 1966 to 1969 was a little different, as follows:
- 1966 has valve stem poking through cast-metal turbine-finned appliqué.
- 1967 has valve stem poking through outer rim area.
- 1968 has white central inverted dome (black all other years)
- 1969 has black paint behind the turbine-finned area (matte silver all other years) - more knowledgeable 1969 owners than I say the outer rim is painted body color in 1969

That's interesting that they would have left the wheelcover design virtually unchanged through 3 totally different body designs.

Yep, Chrysler Corp did stuff like that. Another example are all of the little tweaks they did to the 78 New Yorker Brougham (Grille, tail lights, colour toned mirrors/ door handles etc) for the last year of C body production. Few people even notice the differences...makes you wonder.

Does this mean no more ad links! Congrats on the car and at least it will be preserved as a whole not gutted and scrapped.:sSig_goodjob:

I'm late to the thread but very happy for you Julian. Congradulations on the find.
Thats an incredable car and it looks like the bulk of the work will be cosmetic refinishing on nice original parts. That makes it fun in my book.

Last edited:
Does this mean no more ad links! Congrats on the car and at least it will be preserved as a whole not gutted and scrapped.:sSig_goodjob:

At least not until I have my car here ;)

I'm late to the thread but very happy for you Julian. Congradulations on the find.
Thats an incredable car and it looks like the bulk of the work will be cosmetic refinishing on nice original parts. That make it fun in my book.

I hope I don't need too much new parts. I love to redo the originals!

Jep, the '69 is absolutely the nicest fusie Imp imo.

Man, I love these shark gills.

But first thing to change is add a right side mirror. I don't like the single mirror look... Does anyone have such a mirror laying around?

Last edited:
I hope I don't need too much new parts. I love to redo the originals!

I'm with you there Julian. I try to refinish as many original parts as I can .... then try to locate NOS stuff.
I think it's one of the reasons I have migrated to the C bodys and forward look cars. It's like the old days of restoring a car. Very little reproduction stuff for them.

I kind of feel sorry for the B & E body restorers that get caught up in the "1-800" &
WWW.com aftermarker parts sources. Removing a Chinese repop from a box and installing it isn't a restoration procedure to me.

This may be a stuped question ... but is your car a Crown or a LeBaron ...?

I agree. Just replacing part after part is not a nice way to restore a car. Much easier but just not right.
More for me than for you guys over there. I have to bleed with very high shipping costs for each part.
C-Body parts are much rarer, and to locate specific Imperial parts makes it not easier ;)

Car is a Le Baron, I prefer the smaller rear window on the Le Baron models.

Jep, the '69 is absolutely the nicest fusie Imp imo.

Man, I love these shark gills.

But first thing to change is add a right side mirror. I don't like the single mirror look... Does anyone have such a mirror laying around?

I added an extra mirror to my '66. It is unfortunately only for looks on my car. I can't speak for the fusey body, but on my slab my new mirror could not be adjusted to see anything but the side of my car. I placed in the factory location. I presume that old stock would be more adjustable. Before you buy a new one, if it is available, I would check and see what others have experienced.

I added an extra mirror to my '66. It is unfortunately only for looks on my car. I can't speak for the fusey body, but on my slab my new mirror could not be adjusted to see anything but the side of my car. I placed in the factory location. I presume that old stock would be more adjustable. Before you buy a new one, if it is available, I would check and see what others have experienced.

Thanks for your advice! I'll check if I can find some information! It have to be in factory location, I agree!

The car have no keys anymore. The owner before Dan lost them...

I got my first parts today.
keyblanks.jpg

The car is still sitting in Dan's frontyard... But when it's here, first thing is to remove a door lock and the ignition lock, bring them to a locksmith that he can make new keys from the lock cylinders.

Ah, and my boss gave me this...
fuzzy-dice.jpg
But they won't find the way into my car...

keyblanks.jpg

fuzzy-dice.jpg

The Ignition lock cylinder and the door lock cylinder are both the same key (the Pentastar). You'll need the trunk lock cylinder for the round key.

The Ignition lock cylinder and the door lock cylinder are both the same key (the Pentastar). You'll need the trunk lock cylinder for the round key.

That's good! The trunk lock is much easier to remove I think.

Back