1969 Imperial progress thread

First day of vacation.
I was sitting on the edge of the bed trying to wake up from wild nite at a club with a friend.
I was groggy with the Today Show on the TV.
Most horrifying week of my life.
Absolutely horrifying.
Life changing.

I was at work in the afternoon (local time germany) when the first plane went into the WTC. We all couldn't believe it and stopped working in the bank, all watching TV.

In the beginning everyone thought it was an accident, till the second plane went in.
Absolutly horrible.

A bad impact on the freedom of the free western world.

Carsten

I was on a school internship in a Bank when the first plane crashed into the first tower. Everyone thought it's just a really bad joke... There was no tv so the whole office stood around a small radio. Horrible day!

Friends of my cousin, firemen from Rochester, NY died in the resulting inferno. I am impressed about the stunning selflessness of all helpers from all over the country!

I forced myself to watch both towers drop. The worst part of that was watching the jumpers. I've been to the top of those towers and its a mighty long drop to the bottom. They were truly desperate. We must never forget.

I was in Saudi Arabia working. Got to the housing compound about 4pm local, turned on the TV to Sky News, and watched as the second aircraft hit the WTC.

What were the words out of my mouth at that exact moment? "Fuc*in' Saudis!"...

I quit the contract the next day at work, when one of our Saudi military students came in, after the rest of his compadres expressed sadness and condolences, went on a tirade about how "we deserved that". I figured I could have very good short-term satisfaction by punching the piss out of him and going to a local prison for the rest of my life, or walk away. I left that Saturday on a BA jet. Didn't get back to the US for another four days, though.

You know what's sad? A poll taken this week of 30 college students at GWU shows just six of 30 polled (all under 21) have no idea what the significance of 9/11 is, yet all but one polled knew the names of the celebrities involved in that "nude photo" scandal.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...rities-Involved-in-Nude-Photo-Hacking-Scandal

This should really be its own post, and not taking this build thread way off course.

Ya, back to topic. I had not much time to work on the car lately... But did a few things.

While taking the package tray apart, I found more nests... of course...
DSC_0247.jpgDSC_0254.jpgDSC_0249.jpg

And one BIG nest on top of the headliner. Before taking this off, I decided to remove everything inside the car first, so I pulled the entire wiring harness first.
1 (3).jpg1 (4).jpg
One of the sequential turning signal parts look like new inside its cocoon.
1 (1).jpg

While I was removing the the wiring, I pulled the rear bumper also.
2 (4).jpg
2 (1).jpg

What's the purpose of going into the interior with the gas tank vent and out again just next to it?
1 (2).jpg

Does anyone have a blilliant tip to remove broken u-joint retainers?
2 (6).jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (4).jpg

1 (1).jpg

2 (1).jpg

2 (4).jpg

1 (2).jpg

2 (6).jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

I imagine it was to achieve sufficient height above the tank to promote scavaging of the gases and efficient venting of the fumes

To get the retainers out, first take a hammer and punch and try to knock the bearing cap into the yoke. You won't be able to move it very much, just enough to take the tension off the retainer. That should make it easier to get out.

If that doesn't work, turn it over and try the other side. Sometimes you have to bang on both sides to get things to loosen up enough.

I imagine it was to achieve sufficient height above the tank to promote scavaging of the gases and efficient venting of the fumes

Hm ,but next to it is another vent tube, shorter, that stays under the car. Doesn't make sence to me?!
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

To get the retainers out, first take a hammer and punch and try to knock the bearing cap into the yoke. You won't be able to move it very much, just enough to take the tension off the retainer. That should make it easier to get out.

If that doesn't work, turn it over and try the other side. Sometimes you have to bang on both sides to get things to loosen up enough.

Soak it in Metal Rescue or vinegar. When the rust is off and small pick should take out the rest. or a BFH.

I'll try to punch it with a BFH after media blasting the rust off! Good ideas. Thanks! I hope this will work

No charcoal canister. 1969 didn't have that stuff.

IIRC, two vents are used so one doesn't start a siphon and pull gas out of the tank.

Na, no charcoal canister. It's not connected to something. The siphon thing makes sense, but doesn't explain the odd construcion throught the interior. But I can life with "they did odd things back then" ;)

Is this really the way chrysler did this back in the days? With an ordinary nail? With all the play on this hinge?
DSC_0099.jpgDSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

There should be a pin with a cotter key-style retainer on one end, IIRC. Some past owner apparently had a problem here and "fixed" it with nails. No telling how long it's been there, but since you have stated the car has been off the road for a long time, perhaps it was not on the road very long with this going on.

I hope so. Looks crazy dangerous! How would you name them? The FSM doesn't mention a name.

I tried to punch the u-joints in a little bit after derusting them, but they won't move at all... Damn rust!

Here comes a little update. Not much time lately, but here and there an hour...

Removed the rear bumper.
Bumper, rear - 52.jpg
1969 Imperial - 299.jpg

And if you've forgot which side of your car is which, they were so kind to label it.
1969 Imperial - 300.jpg
1969 Imperial - 301.jpg

The whole right side of the car from front to back is much more rusty compared with the left side..
Bumper, rear - 27.jpg
Bumper, rear - 30.jpg

Bumper, rear - 52.jpg

1969 Imperial - 299.jpg

1969 Imperial - 300.jpg

1969 Imperial - 301.jpg

Bumper, rear - 27.jpg

Bumper, rear - 30.jpg

And I removed the headliner. Nasty stuff... One big rodent resort....

But the roof is fine, "just" surface rust.
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg

I failed on these screws... But preserved from the undercoating, they are too good to cut them off...
Fuel tank - 02.jpg
Fuel tank - 18.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Fuel tank - 02.jpg

Fuel tank - 18.jpg

And today, I removed the torsion bars and the k-member. I've read a lot about problems removing the torsion bars lately, but mine came out pretty easy by hand!
Stub frame_09292014_01.jpg
Stub frame_09292014_02.jpg
Stub frame_09292014_03.jpg

The LCAs are different from the regular C ones, obviously. They are already enforced, but still have a little play... Could be more difficult to tighten them up...
Stub frame_09292014_04.jpg
Stub frame_09292014_05.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_06.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_01.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_02.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_03.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_04.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_05.jpg

Stub frame_09292014_06.jpg

Back