For Sale 1969 Newport Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdh157

Reaction score
Contact seller
1969 Chrysler Newport-

ch.jpg

Reached out to the owner, who says the car has no AC. Here is another set of pictures of, and more info on, the car:

1969 Chrysler Newport for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-985504

A friend of mine went to have a quick look this morning, said the car looks nice. The two biggest cosmetic issues my friend had:

1. ripped door trim: https://ccpublic.blob.core.windows..../5504/7710095-1969-chrysler-newport-std-c.jpg

2. metal trim/molding separating the rooftop from the body is missing a piece:
https://ccpublic.blob.core.windows..../5504/7710094-1969-chrysler-newport-std-c.jpg

From another thread (For Sale - 1970 Chrysler Newport Convertible Part Out), I gather that finding the molding may not be easy. Naive question: what am I looking at (difficulty, cost) to fix those two issues?

I've had my door skins off lots of times (inner panls) it's not difficult.

Naive question: what am I looking at (difficulty, cost) to fix those two issues?

The trim can be found. It looks like the same trim on 69 and 70 300 and Newports. I also think that you could cut down a hardtop piece, but I'd have to take a better look.

The door panels might be able to be repaired like I did mine. Door Panel repair

or it should be the same panels as a 2 door hardtop, so you could find a replacement.

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies!

I like the color and basically just want a big boat to cruise (to quote another member in a different thread, "my interest in a C-body vert is only as a clean driver needing minimal work"). Assuming I don't find any rust or other major issue and the front brakes are discs, I may therefore make an offer on this one.

The seller is having some work done by a mechanic tomorrow (ignition), so I will go and see the car early next week. Meanwhile, I am trying to assess fair price in case I decide to make offer. Rags, are you suggesting $5-6k?

plain jane newport rag with issues. not a 10g car. half that maybe if it's at least solid.

I am thinking about comments I read a few months ago suggesting that $6.8k was "good value" for a brown Newport with some issues (AC/radio/cruise not working) in 2014:

1969 Newport convertible - MN

Is the difference between the values mainly driven by bench (actually my preference) vs. bucket seats (which I understand most folks prefer)? The wheels? AFAICT, both cars have the base 383.

Looks like a clean cruiser. I'm especially fond on the color. Price is a little high for a non-A/C car with interior cosmetic issues. I'm a bit leery when they don't show engine pics. If it runs well, and you are only talking about cosmetics, $7k-9K is reasonable. It is a dealer, however, I doubt they would go as low as $6k, but you could try. Any mechanical issues like transmission, smoke or knocking and I wouldn't bother unless you are handy with that sort of thing or willing to put in another $3k-5k, IMHO. Please let us know how it works out.

see it on a lift. make sure it's not rotten. be prepared to garage it full time or it's lifespan will be three rainstorms. i own that same model, same spec. car and stock it's every bit as boring as a plain jane coupe, but far less practical. no a/c and it's hot as ***** with the top up. if it's 6k with a 30 day warranty and it's rock solid underneath that'd probably be acceptable in 2017 dollars as an entry level car. just know it's like owing a horse. good luck, SG

be prepared to garage it full time or it's lifespan will be three rainstorms.

The car was apparently garaged its whole life till the owner got it from her grandfather last year. Grandfather owned it for 25-30 years, was the second owner. After that, it's been under a cover but outside. The owner says there was no rust when she first became the owner, but thinks the mechanic at the dealer told her he has seen "a point of rust". My friend did not see any on the lot yesterday, though -- I will pay attention when I go. I agree, I need to get the car on a lift.

i own that same model, same spec. car (...) no a/c and it's hot as ***** with the top up.

The lack of AC worries me for the exact reason you mention. Thanks for the confirmation.

Another negative is the owner told me that car has drum brakes all around. This big time drives the price down in my mind (am NOT a fan of drums), despite the fact that the car's color combo (jubilee blue, white top) is my favorite for the Newport 'vert and the fact that the owner is being very upfront about things that need fixing.

that brown car, even with options not working, is very good target.

Do you mean, that price ($6.8k or so) looks like what I ought to be shooting for?

good luck, SG
Looks like a clean cruiser. I'm especially fond on the color.

Thanks to all of you -- will give an update once I have more info.

these cars with no rot are rare and that counts, but i don't think to ten grand. carlisle is coming up. if your close and have 10 large to spend, you might want to shop there before committing to this car. 6800 for an a/c, disc brake, etc, car with a GOOD top, decent interior, reasonably solid, driver, is good price range. even if all the options don't work, the fact that they are there is good enough. they can be made to work. again good luck with this and i hope it goes your favor.

I cant believe how many people still value these cars as fools gold. A solid convertible for ten grand is a steal. An original car with great colors for ten grand is a steal. Drum brakes? A drum brake car is just as good as a disc brake car of the same. No air? If you need air you probably dont want a convertible anyway. . . .

ten grand asking is at the least $8500.00 selling. :soapbox:

I cant believe how many people still value these cars as fools gold. A solid convertible for ten grand is a steal. An original car with great colors for ten grand is a steal. Drum brakes? A drum brake car is just as good as a disc brake car of the same. No air? If you need air you probably dont want a convertible anyway. . . .

ten grand asking is at the least $8500.00 selling. :soapbox:
Dave is 100% right here.

One other factor... A solid convertible with great colors etc. on the same side of the country as you are... ten grand is a steal.

$6.8 might be in the ballpark if the top didn't go down.

have to agree with john above. an opportunity to get a car in this condition in your locale MIGHT be a once in lifetime opportunity. it's paying a premium for convenience. if you garage it and protect your investment, over the long term, it will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back