1970 Chrysler Newport Question

Key

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. What is this hanging down under a 1970 Chrysler Newport? It appears to be on both sides. I have tried to find pics of the undersides of other C Bodies of the same generation for reference to no avail.

Screenshot_20230814-085941.png

96631.jpeg

Stub frame. I'm going to guess your subframe bushings are gone. You must be hearing a "clunk" going over bumps and feeling some flex. Interesting... Yours looks to be only three sides where as I've only seen them completely boxed in. I'm dealing with a '72 so maybe the '70 was different? - MG

You probably need to get the car on a drive-on overhead lift. Key thing is that it is a drive-on "muffler shop" style lift and not a "body contact" lift. Reason is that that appears to be the rear of the front subframe side piece. It should be parallel to the rocker panel and not angled down from it. Which could mean the rear body mounts on the subframe might not be there. Hope I'm wrong!

As to illustrations, you can free-download the Chrysler parts books at www.mymopar.com. Those books should have illustrations of the subframe assy and now it mounts.

Over time, the bolts which hold the body and subframe together can deteriorate and "Coke bottle" in the middle, eventually breaking. Much more common in the northern areas than in the south, by observation. Use Grade 8 bolts to replace them and the other "rear subframe bolts.

CBODY67

Possibly an old "creative" repair. I agree with the above posts that it's likely related to the stub frame and you need to get it up on a wheel lift to see what/why it's hanging down and what the intended use was. You'll probably want to correct the previous repair.

This is a pic from a lengthy and very informative thread on the stub frames. (pic courtesy @71Polara ) 1969 - 1971 C body Stub Frame (subframe)

What it looks like to me is it's a repair (probably rust) of the stub frame using a piece of channel iron. Depending how it was done would say if it was a good repair or not.

People forget that these were just used cars at one time and repairs were done as needed to get the car back in service. A good inspection of the entire stub frame is needed.

Is this your car or one you are looking at for purchase? For some reason, that looks familiar to me... Perhaps we've seen it or a similar repair.

1692020670010.png

My apologies, this is a car I was interested in purchasing. It is 5 hours away and I wanted to know more before I made the trip. Thanks to all of you who replied, you may have helped me dodge a bullet.

It actually looks similar to the repair a local welder made on our '76 Newport. He said those cars always rusted out the frames on the driver's side in his experience. He said you don't want to try to cut out the rusted part of the frame, just encase it in new metal. That was his solution. It made the car inspectable and driveable for the remainder of the time we had it.

Good luck with your decision. Were I a player on this one, unless the price reflected a substantial "risk discount", I;d bow out of this one.

There are better ones out there though .. i might be out at any price without more details on whatever this is...

You are correct that it IS possible seller has been bamboozled too .. experts are on this site so perhaps you may offer up this information to seller?

Again, all the best.

It looks like channel iron to me. Something that doesn't belong there.
I agree with Dave, looks like a channel was added to reinforce the stub frame in order to distribute weight when it's on a lift. Stub has probably let go based on the angle of the iron.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do not know these cars well and I am thankful I posted before moving forward. I am going to pass on this one and keep my eyes open for something else.

Back