For Sale 1970 Dodge Monaco 440 car, not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wards book.jpg

I've been looking at Ward's Automotive Year Books for about 25 years, which now it seems the "numbers" nerds have been using to aggregate "new" numbers for production. Which overall is a good thing. When I would mention Wards book to people in the 1990's, nobody cared.

For the numbers nerds like my self, or historians that don't already know:

Go to your Public Library (the best use of our tax dollars) and request a copy, (your library will order it for you) of Ward's Automotive Year or Data Book for the year following the year of production of your car.

So if you want production fiqures for 1970; get the 1971 edition, and the folks at Ward's have taken production of all makes and manufactures and broken down production based on options, engines, body type etc., etc.,...Information therein changed from the 50's to the 90's but it's good information for numbers nerds.

How many 70 Imperial's produced with A/C and automatic headlight dimmers? You can figure it out based on % installed/shipped etc.

How many manual transmissions installed in Plymouth C body, in 1969? You can figure it out based on % installed/shipped.

Wards' is a data book for the automotive manufacturing industry.

You can order the books from your Library for free, for example,..from years 1960-1975 and now YOU can become Galen Glovier. (if you want), and you don't have to be a "gold member" to get it.

There,... your secret is out.

Last edited:
Is it the same car in both pictures? I happen to know where the car in the second picture lives, and wonder if the owner is a member here.

the photos are from two different URL sources and likely different times of day/places ... but i believe its same car.

roof closeup was taken at some sort of showing for the car. then color and configuration (concave rear glass, sedan) led me to conclude "same car."

still, closer examjnation of evidence may be needed :)

Last edited:
the photos are from two different URL sources and likely different times of day/places ... but i believe its same car.

roof closeup was taken at some sort of showing for the car. then color and configuration (concave rear glass, sedan) led me to conclude "same car."

still, closer examjnation of evidence may be needed :)

Well, the body stripe on the side of the car is the same in both photos. And I think this third picture, taken like the second one from the 2009 Mid-Atlantic Mopar meet, should seal the deal:

That four-door hardtop is gorgeous.

Im certain it is the same car. This car was for sale a long time with what seemed to be a large price tag. Then the times caught up with the price

As always, "value" is in the eyes of the beholder. "Low production" or "rare" doesn't always equate into additional $$$ for the vehicle . . . unless that trips somebody's trigger.

Back when the '60s-'70s cars were new and being ordered by dealers (for stock or for customers), the concern wasn't particularly to order cars with unusual option/color combinations, but ordering what their customers would buy. There might have been some desires to not have the exact same things a nearby dealer might have, but having something similar and different, whether in colors, engines, or optional equipment. If a dealer might have been burnt with some warranty issues on particular cars/options, they'd not order them unless the customer specifically wanted one that way. An existing good customer or one with a large down payment.

Niche cars, as Hemis and such, took a certain dealership to even consider stocking them. PLUS they needed somebody that really knew about how those cars might be used to get the equipment combination "right".

What we might term "rare" now would probably have been "oddball, don't want any of those" back then.

Where some of the oddball combinations might have originated could have been the "Sales Bank" cars. Cars that were built to keep the lines running or to build-out of certain options at model year's end. Those cars were usually sold at deep discounts to get dealers to take them.

If a dealer was in a rural area with many older drivers, then they might have ordered a car with power steering and no power brakes. Power windows but no power seat. As troublesome as the Rim Blow steering wheels seemed to be, back then, few dealers probably wanted them unless they had to take them in particular models. LOTS of side issues that could ultimately end up with "rare" vehicles today. Other dealers might have cared more about MSRP targets in order to sell cars. Others would order normal options and pairings so the ultimate resale value would be better AND they'd have a better car to sell on their used car lot in a few years.

There generally was more value in a car that had been on the showroom floor or was driven by a dealer-principle person.

Many dealers would option cars to look good, but not cost a whole lot more than normal models, especially at the first of the model year. A double-edged sword . . . to order a car that had the options for people to look at or try out, but not one that cost too much with all of that stuff on it (which might be harder to sell, as a result).

CBODY67

I remember seeing those pictures. Those aftermarket valve covers really stick out, now, to me.

CBODY67

It is the same car my friend in the high desert used to own. He sold it to a friend in San Diego to finance another car he wanted more very recently.

Last edited:
a dealer demo will be coded on the broadcast although it may not be on the fender tag. Here's an example. The upper right corner has the Y codes, and you will see the sales bank code is 13 (dealer demo). Note it is not shown on the tag.

DSCN0071.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

thanks for the pics Mark.
Yes, "y"-codes are often only sometimes (depending on year/plant etc) on the tag.

Another indicator is the VON.
Because cars with a special purpose got usually a special VON, too.
So if a VON starts with a letter or a "9" there is a something coded behind the scene.
Just like all cars buillt for Canada have a VON with a "B" or "C" in example

Carsten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back