1970 Fury GT found in Amarillo, TX.

Reaction score
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_1008.PNG
IMG_1006.PNG
IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_0998.JPG

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker of the forums for a few years now. Finally became a member today since I'm once again an owner of one of these beautiful cars. Had a 70 Fury Gran Coupe in high school, but sold it a long time ago. Always wanted another, and just bought this 1970 Fury GT tonight in Amarillo, Texas. Purchased it from the original owners family. Runs great, but the wiring is a mess. Definitely going to need a new wiring harness soon. Trying to get some of it sorted tomorrow morning with hopes of then driving it all the way back to Los Angeles where I live. I'm crazy, I know! Another problem is that the trunk lock is stuck and the taillight lenses are in the trunk. Hope to get that sorted as well tomorrow. Once I get on the road, I'll try to post more videos of my trip. By the way, yes it's been repainted once and lost its stripes in the process. The original top was Champagne White, but was redone incorrectly when the car was painted. Original color was Burnt Orange and can be seen in the engine bay and door jams. Engine is original 440. I'm going to be needing some odds and ends for sure. Want to bring this one back to as close to fully stock as possible. Hope to make some friends here. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1005.PNG

Even with all of your perceived flaws that is a very good looking car...
Hope if all goes well for you..
Oh,, and post LOTS of pics..
Cuz everyone on here is a damn pic *****.....
:steering:

Gorgeous color combo on a great car, congrats!:thumbsup:

Love build threads and as Xenon pointed out most of us are picture whores.:D
Best of luck with your road trip

Hey, hi there from a fellow GT owner! That's a great score! To find an unknown GT in driving condition like that is an amazing score for sure. We will expect a lot more story and pictures of your new prize. Looking forward to seeing more, cheers!

The engine in all of its dirty glory. Looks like I'm missing the windshield washer resivoir and mabey one other resivoir?
IMG_1013.PNG

Welcome aboard from :canada:. You just achieved some kind of record for the quickest assignment to this board's you suck list. What an amazing find. Congratulations. I will be following your progress with interest.

70 Sport Fury GTs seem to be a pretty rare bird to find anymore, especially one as good as yours. Tell us how you found that one if you live in California and your got it from Texas? Your GT should be even a more desirable car to you than your previous Gran Coupe, as I didn't find those models to be as desirable at least (don't like the more formal rooflines on those). How many miles are on yours, since it is a one family car? Finding something that is one owner is also remarkable any more. Great score.

Where in the Los Angeles area do you live? I am out in Rancho Cucamonga. I would like to see that GT sometime. I have a B7 blue one that is nowhere as nice as yours, but maybe someday!

Welcome and congratulations!

Last edited:
70 Sport Fury GTs seem to be a pretty rare bird to find anymore, especially one as good as yours. Tell us how you found that one if you live in California and your got it from Texas? Your GT should be even a more desirable car to you than your previous Gran Coupe, as I didn't find those models to be as desirable at least (don't like the more formal rooflines on those). How many miles are on yours, since it is a one family car? Finding something that is one owner is also remarkable any more. Great score.

Where in the Los Angeles area do you live? I am out in Rancho Cucamonga. I would like to see that GT sometime. I have a B7 blue one that is nowhere as nice as yours, but maybe someday!

Welcome and contratulations!

I guess I am sort of a super slueth when it comes to using the web to find things. I found this particular car on an Amarillo auto swap group page. It was advertised as just a "Sport Fury" and had no mention of GT. Only after I asked for a picture of the option plate did I realize it was a GT.
The original owner gifted the car to his son many many years ago. Father passed away and eventually the son passed as well. The car then was owned by the sons wife until I bought if from her today. She just remarried two weeks ago and I think she just felt like finally letting go of everything from her past with her first husband. The car has been garaged most of its life and has always been in Texas. It even has its original 1970 Texas registration sticker in the window. The car currently has 69015 miles on the odometer. My guess is it's actually 169015, but who knows. The car has very very little rust. Nothing more than than surface corrosion and dirt. Most of the paint on the undercarriage is still there.
I live in the El Sereno neighborhood of Los Angeles. Boarders South Pasadena and Alhambra. I'm sure that once I get the car home and give it a good cleaning, I'll be at some of the local car shows with it. Would love to see your B7 Blue car as well!

Last edited:
Eric,

Home run hitter!

From one GT owner to another congratulations!

Finding a GT "on market" and actually securing the car is not an easy thing to do in 2017.

I have a GT in the same color built SPD on the same day. I'll have to check my VON/sequence number to confirm, but needless to say "YOU SUCK", as the group says here! I think it's a badge of honor?

By the way does your GT have a battery heat shield?

-Trev

Last edited:
I guess I am sort of a super slueth when it comes to using the web to find things. I found this particular car on an Amarillo auto swap group page. It was advertised as just a "Sport Fury" and had no mention of GT. Only after I asked for a picture of the option plate did I realize it was a GT.
The original owner gifted the car to his son many many years ago. Father passed away and eventually the son passed as well. The car then was owned by the sons wife until I bought if from her today. She just remarried two weeks ago and I think she just felt like finally letting go of everything from her past with her first husband. The car has been garaged most of its life and has always been in Texas. It even has its original 1970 Texas registration sticker in the window. The car currently has 69015 miles on the odometer. My guess is it's actually 169015, but who knows. The car has very very little rust. Nothing more than than surface corrosion and dirt. Most of the paint on the undercarriage is still there.
I live in the El Sereno neighborhood of Los Angeles. Boarders South Pasadena and Alhambra. I'm sure that once I get the car home and give it a good cleaning, I'll be at some of the local car shows with it. Would love to see your B7 Blue car as well!

Thanks for the information Eric. I used to live fairly near El Sereno, in Sierra Madre, since I was a kid. My parents moved From Detroit to California when I was only one year old. I would like to see some photos of the interior when you get a chance. It would be great to see your car in person, as it seems the odometer might not have gone around once already from what I am looking at. It would be great to have you visit when you get some time, as there is a lot to see out here, more than you will be expecting!

Steve

Buy a new trunklock , take a screw machine with you and drill the old one out.......
Maybe you,ll find some other great parts in the trunk....

Eric,

Home run hitter!

From one GT owner to another congratulations!

Finding a GT "on market" and actually securing the car is not an easy thing to do in 2017.

I have a GT in the same color built SPD on the same day. I'll have to check my VON/sequence number to confirm, but needless to say "YOU SUCK", as the group says here! I think it's a badge of honor.

By the way does your GT have a battery heat shield?

-Trev

Thanks Trev, I'll accept that badge of honor. Ha ha! What does the heat shield look like? I doubt mine is present, but not sure. Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

Back