1970 Plymouth Sport Fury V10 Swap Build Thread

My condolences. I call my dad almost every other day and I don't know what I'd do without him.

Hi guys I got some work done on the Fury.

I installed the driveshaft.
I run a full exhaust 2 1/4 off the manifold with O2 sensors into 2 1/2 all the way to the rear bumper.
I made a throttle linkage to mate the stock cable to the v10 cable. Looks bad but works.
I also got the electrical fans installed.

I’m working on the shifter now. Some of you guys will hate it but I’m installing a B&M star shifter. I like it’s function and will work well with my combo.
E3EE06E6-8CD4-4A42-8D2A-B993EB942310.jpeg
174E67C0-E9F8-4C49-B209-D0EB14012F76.jpeg
AD0BA25E-D78B-4DE1-89FF-AB156323C33C.jpeg
58E37F11-7FE9-4427-9AE1-75F83EBF4F58.jpeg

I don't remember and didn't go back through the thread, but what trans are you using? The V-10's 46RE?

The V10 and 5.7 diesel used the 47RE in 96.
My sons 96 cummins 4x4 has one..curious thing with it SOMETMES wen it's on the road it won't come out of first ?.He moves it into neutral then back to drive and it will start shifting ...sometimes it takes a couple tries but it eventually cycles thru to O.D...any ideas ???

Happy Easter everyone!

Been getting a little work done on the fury. I wanted to switch to a sure grip and got a good deal on a cone type from a member. I rebuilt it by milling the cones down .050 and bought a shim kit, new carrier bearings and pinion seal from Dr. Diff. I'm using my stock 489 case and 3.23 gears, just replacing the single track with the sure grip.

One word of advise don't torque to the factory spec of 30 ft-lb on the case halves. You can see one oddball bolt in the pic. When I went to 30 on that one it snapped off. Had to take it all apart again and use a small pick to get the busted bolt out. So I torqued the case bolts to 25 and the ring gear to 55.

I did make one mistake and forgot to check ring gear back lash before taking the carrier out. So I set it up and the pattern is good and I have the pinion clearance set to .010 I think that should be good. Anyone have an opinion on the clearance. If I should have more or less I want to adjust it before installing.

rear diff 01.jpg

rear diff 02.jpg

rear diff 03.jpg

rear diff 04.jpg

rear diff 05.jpg

Boy how time flies. I can't believe I started this project over a year ago now and still have not drove it. LOL

.010 backlash should be ok. If the gears were new I would want them tighter usually .005-.008 for most gear sets

Been getting a few things done on the fury. The small things add up to a lot of time.

The biggest thing I got done was I installed the rebuild rear diff.

I have a few wiring issues to trace down, bleed the brakes and install the tires and should be able to test drive. Fingers crossed the trans is still good, the guy I got the engine and trans from said it worked but we all know how that goes sometimes.

Can't wait to test drive it will be the first time the car has moved under it's own power since 1992.

rear diff installed.jpg

Awesome project! This was something I had thought about doing if I build a C-body since no one makes engine swap parts to put a modern engine in a C-body. I got discouraged with the idea when I found out the truck and viper engine have nothing in common so adding performance wouldn't be easy, and price per horsepower the 6.4L hemi beats the 8L viper engine. I'm excited to hear your experience driving it, the HP and TQ number on paper don't always translate to how it actually drives.

Awesome project! This was something I had thought about doing if I build a C-body since no one makes engine swap parts to put a modern engine in a C-body. I got discouraged with the idea when I found out the truck and viper engine have nothing in common so adding performance wouldn't be easy, and price per horsepower the 6.4L hemi beats the 8L viper engine. I'm excited to hear your experience driving it, the HP and TQ number on paper don't always translate to how it actually drives.
Thanks for the comments. Yes it should fly down the hwy. My old 2500 2wd with 3:55 gears would cruise at 90 and you didn't even realize you were going that fast. When I build the Ram/Viper hybrid engine I should be around 500HP and over 500TQ with ease and should come in cost wise under 2500K.

I plan to get some performance numbers with the stock Ram V10 before dropping in the hybrid engine, then compare the two. The ram is all low end torque so I'm keeping the 3:23 gear for now. When I swap engines I will swap to a 3:73 or maybe up to a 4:11.

The hybrid engine should be stronger than the stock viper engine being a cast iron block. I also plan to use after market rods and forged or hyper pistons. As I stated before my goal is a 12 second qtr and 150 in the flying mile without changing anything on the car other than maybe some sticky tires.

Thanks for the comments. Yes it should fly down the hwy. My old 2500 2wd with 3:55 gears would cruise at 90 and you didn't even realize you were going that fast. When I build the Ram/Viper hybrid engine I should be around 500HP and over 500TQ with ease and should come in cost wise under 2500K.

I plan to get some performance numbers with the stock Ram V10 before dropping in the hybrid engine, then compare the two. The ram is all low end torque so I'm keeping the 3:23 gear for now. When I swap engines I will swap to a 3:73 or maybe up to a 4:11.

The hybrid engine should be stronger than the stock viper engine being a cast iron block. I also plan to use after market rods and forged or hyper pistons. As I stated before my goal is a 12 second qtr and 150 in the flying mile without changing anything on the car other than maybe some sticky tires.
I'm glad to hear you say that. So many people talk about the V-10 ram engine being a dog. I have never driven one so I have no idea. $2500 for a 500hp V-10 is great!

Interesting idea to compensate for low end torque with high gears. I had a 85 corvette with 350 tpi engine that is low end torque and can't breath past 4500 rpm. Once you hit 100 mph it was slow but it would do 150mph and thar was with 3.08 gears. Great street machine, though!

Finally figured out why I couldn't get the rear brakes to bleed. The hose inside liner was coming apart and plugged it up. Got a new hose and going to install it in the morning after I blow the lines out. I was amazed to get it at O'Reillys, in stock.

Brake hose 1.jpg

Brake hose 2.jpg

Got the fury back on all fours for the first time in over a year. Man the V10 and OD trans must be at lease 200 pounds more than the 383 because when I set it down the first time the oil pan almost hit the floor. I turned the torsion bars up and I got it slightly higher than factory specs to compensate for the deep oil pan. Going to have to add a leaf spring to each side in the rear sometime in the future.

Off the stands.jpg

So I'm happy to report the hood fits over that big intake. I have about 1/2 inch clearance between the intake and hood and 1/2 inch between the oil pan and k frame. Fits like a glove.

I still have to make a battery mount and figure out a few wiring issues and it will be test drive time.

hood on.jpg

Back